• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale "thefirstname" more expensive than Pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
3,743
Reaction score
0
Until recently an initial bid of $45 could be placed for minor drops (.org etc) at thefirstname.com. Now it seems that every name on the list is showing at $45 but on placing an opening bid the price auto-rises to $65, making their initial bid more expensive than Pool.
Anyone else noticed this?
 
Maybe because they were all initiated by people at $45 so that is the bid.
The next bid is $65
Makes sense to me.
You need to submit them names in order to get the opening bid.

- Jordan
 
That has not always been the case.
 
roger

the way it works is this if you enter the name in to be chased and we catch it and there are no bids it is yours for 45

if you didnt enter the name the first bid is 65 dollars

hope this clarifys things
 
Hmm I seem to recall being able to bid $45 on names that I had not "ordered" - is that not so?
 
I wouldn't enter names with them b/c they distribute them to their email list and then you have other bidders who might not be watching those names originally. But I guess if you're willing to pay go ahead. They should hold bidding before the drop and then end it there like old times.
 
clemzonguy said:
...they distribute them to their email list...

Email list? They just mail out the list of domains that are on auction.

They also auction off domains that weren't drops sometimes.

tfn is a good service with a good model - let the market rule.
 
Well this is the problem.
They auction off domains that weren't drops and the opening bid is not $45 for these domains. The $45 bid is "made" by tfn so you have to bid $65 to start.
 
I don't have any problem with them auctioning names or sending out emails, nor do I say that they have a bad business model or anything else - I am not bashing their service; my concern is that I used to be able to bid $45 on a name on the list and now that has gone up to $65.
 
dvdrip said:
Well this is the problem.
They auction off domains that weren't drops and the opening bid is not $45 for these domains. The $45 bid is "made" by tfn so you have to bid $65 to start.

Ohhh, so you're just complaining about the prices. :-)

Well - I just consider it a reserve price, so bidding starts at $65 on those names. It seems like on some of the domains that they put up that weren't drops they have a higher reserve anyway.

I agree it was cool when you could bid $5 or $25, but I assumed they weren't making enough money at that level.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom