Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Three Character Domains on hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tedd

Hi:

I've noticed that every three character domain, except some of those containing hyphens or numbers are being held ("on hold") by registers.

What's up with that? Has anyone registered a three character domain lately?

tedd

Domain summit 2024

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think they drop, but there are lots of these "drop clubs" using scripts to pick them up as soon as they drop. I just bought 2 from people on this board, and picked up a third for DNBucks.

ghecko

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Picked up NE1.ORG yesterday

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ghecko
Picked up NE1.ORG yesterday

That's a great catch for one with a number in it but he was talking about 3 letter domains... those are much harder to get. I think the scripts that people use are configured to take any "3 letter" com, net or org automatically.

T

tedd

Hi:

Yes, I was talking about three character domains that do not contain numbers or hyphens.

At present, from my information, there are 266 three character domains that are three character (no numbers of hyphens) of the top TLD (com, net, org) which have expired, but are on hold.

It looks like to me that the registrars have decided to hold all three character domains awaiting something.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about what's happening here.

tedd

vialli

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
and the rest of the 3 letter .coms are probally at perfectname.com

ghecko

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are 3 letter coms really worth that much, I understand that you may be lucky passing them onto a company with those initials etc... however unless they are like www.hot.com or ice.com then why would say fjy.com be worth picking up.

T

tedd

Originally posted by greggish

That's a great catch for one with a number in it but he was talking about 3 letter domains... those are much harder to get. I think the scripts that people use are configured to take any "3 letter" com, net or org automatically.

You are correct about what I asked, but "great catch"? Three character domains with numbers in them are plentiful. For example, there are 100 .com's that are available for registration right now that start with the letter "n" and over 2000 that are a combination of numbers (i.e., 03o.com).

However, there are NO three character names of any TDL (com, net, org) that have only letters in them.

tedd

ghecko

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know what u r saying

I think he was trying to say the acronym 'Any One' for ne1.org rather than just some spurious 2 letter one number domain

T

tedd

Originally posted by ghecko
Are 3 letter coms really worth that much, I understand that you may be lucky passing them onto a company with those initials etc... however unless they are like www.hot.com or ice.com then why would say fjy.com be worth picking up.

If it were me, I would work up a logo and name for any three character domain I got and advertise the entire thing as one package. There are companies that are looking to improve their image with a shorter name.

The company Price Waterhouse comes to mind with their purchase of Monday.com. I don't know what the status of it is at present, but I do know that they forgot to get monday.com.uk -- you should see that web site.

In any event, I would be very interested in any three *character* domain name.

tedd

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you know that the term "character" refers to both numbers and letters(and whatever else), right? perhaps you would be more clear in stating you would be happy with any three "letter" domain to avoid any confusion...;)

T

tedd

Originally posted by kidkool
you know that the term "character" refers to both numbers and letters(and whatever else), right? perhaps you would be more clear in stating you would be happy with any three "letter" domain to avoid any confusion...;)

kidkool:

Forgive me. With 20+ years of computer programming, characters to me are letters and numbers are something different. Characters can hold values and numbers are values.

Plus the dictionaries I have reviewed don't really make a distinction one way or another as to what a character is, letter or number. In fact, one dictionary I reviewed said "... such as a letter of the alphabet".

Also, when one looks up the word "alphabet", my dictionary exhibits letters and not numbers as an example. Furthermore, "alphanumeric" means letters and numbers and there would be no need for the word "alphanumeric" if the word "alphabet" meant both.

So, I hope you can understand why I said what I did. However, your suggestion is one I shall follow in later posts.

Thank you.

tedd

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators