• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

To me this is the dumbest excuse for regging a crappy domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatter

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
1,301
Reaction score
4
you see it all the time in the appraissal sections of boards. I plan on developing these names into sites, like somehow that excuses regging stupid names, i dont develop names but if i did i would want something memorable easy to spell etc. Why put all the time in on a name that someone with a photographic memory couldnt remember. there are still plenty of generic words that make sense for every industry. many arent registered because domainers go for natural typein traffic and many generics dont fall in this category. anyone else have any thoughts on this
 
Hi

There some exceptions to regging "stupid" names I suppose.

take "yahoo" for instance.

were it not branded and developed, seems like a very stupid name.

as i can remember when the first yahoo commercials came out and the guy to used to holler out " yaaaaaaaa hoooo "


imo...any name came be developed, but it's the business model and the "niche'" that will determine it's success or failure.
 
I think people can register whatever they want.

But it is stupid to ask for an appraisal for those names, the ones that are worthless but are going to be developed. Some people seem to have to ask for every single name they register.
 
biggedon said:
Hi

There some exceptions to regging "stupid" names I suppose.

take "yahoo" for instance.

were it not branded and developed, seems like a very stupid name.

as i can remember when the first yahoo commercials came out and the guy to used to holler out " yaaaaaaaa hoooo "


imo...any name came be developed, but it's the business model and the "niche'" that will determine it's success or failure.


i wouldnt consider yahoo to be stupid, if its memorable and spellable its a good name to develop
 
fatter said:
I plan on developing these names into sites, like somehow that excuses regging stupid names, i dont develop names but if i did i would want something memorable easy to spell etc. Why put all the time in on a name that someone with a photographic memory couldnt remember.

I tend to agree with you that i have seen a lot of stupid names .. however, the plan to develop the domain is not for the "memorability" of the name, but to obtain search engine traffic for the keyword/s. Hopefully from that point possibly a bookmark from the visitor if the site provides something useful and intising enough to come back.
 
May be stupid, but are they easy to remember? If they are easy to remember, and developed, they could easily turn from a "stupid" name to a valuable name.
 
I think his point is.. why waste your time developing a crappy domain into a "mediocre name", when you can take a good domain, and make it priceless? ;)
 
I think his point is.. why waste your time developing a crappy domain into a "mediocre name", when you can take a good domain, and make it priceless? ;)
 
I think his point is.. why waste your time developing a crappy domain into a "mediocre name", when you can take a good domain, and make it priceless? ;)
 
daddy takes gold, silver and bronze :-)

you see it all the time in the appraissal sections of boards. I plan on developing these names into sites, like somehow that excuses regging stupid names, i dont develop names but if i did i would want something memorable easy to spell etc. Why put all the time in on a name that someone with a photographic memory couldnt remember. there are still plenty of generic words that make sense for every industry. many arent registered because domainers go for natural typein traffic and many generics dont fall in this category. anyone else have any thoughts on this

Completely disagree with you, infact, I think this is a pretty ignorant statement. Many times, I'd rather spend $8 and buy and "crappy" name loaded with keywords and develop it well, rather than spend more money on a better name and have less resources to develop it with.
 
GT Web said:
daddy takes gold, silver and bronze :-)



Completely disagree with you, infact, I think this is a pretty ignorant statement. Many times, I'd rather spend $8 and buy and "crappy" name loaded with keywords and develop it well, rather than spend more money on a better name and have less resources to develop it with.

gt I consider names that have keywords good names even if 3 worders, as long as they flow and are memorable
 
Guys,
Maybe I'm missing the point of the original post. After all, I'm new here and just learning about traffic, so I'm certainly not an expert in that area. But sometimes money can be made in registering domains that might have marketing/branding value to them even if others think they are "stupid." As examples, since joining the game in '99 I have sold at least a dozen domains to endusers without any regard to traffic. These include acne free dot com, new developments dot com, i skills dot com, report it dot com, the rooms dot com, etc. The first one I mentioned is particularly significant. When I registered it, I thought it might make a great name for an acne related product or service. Few that I spoke to about it agreed and at one time it was listed on eBay for a couple of hundred bucks and didn't sell. I guess no one thought it had value. But a small cosmetic company did when they subsequently branded a product with that very same name and bought it off me later in the high X,XXX range. Now maybe things are different these days, but if I think something is catchy and cool, I'll buy it. That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes or regret buying many of them. But from a strictly marketing standpoint, a lot of names without any traffic whatsoever have potential. So who am I to judge? If I don't like a domain listed in the forum, I don't appraise it. It's that simple.
 
DomainFatigue said:
Guys,
Maybe I'm missing the point of the original post. After all, I'm new here and just learning about traffic, so I'm certainly not an expert in that area. But sometimes money can be made in registering domains that might have marketing/branding value to them even if others think they are "stupid." As examples, since joining the game in '99 I have sold at least a dozen domains to endusers without any regard to traffic. These include acne free dot com, new developments dot com, i skills dot com, report it dot com, the rooms dot com, etc. The first one I mentioned is particularly significant. When I registered it, I thought it might make a great name for an acne related product or service. Few that I spoke to about it agreed and at one time it was listed on eBay for a couple of hundred bucks and didn't sell. I guess no one thought it had value. But a small cosmetic company did when they subsequently branded a product with that very same name and bought it off me later in the high X,XXX range. Now maybe things are different these days, but if I think something is catchy and cool, I'll buy it. That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes or regret buying many of them. But from a strictly marketing standpoint, a lot of names without any traffic whatsoever have potential. So who am I to judge? If I don't like a domain listed in the forum, I don't appraise it. It's that simple.

the success story of yours, is what lures other's to this business, and what continues to drive us now in the domain industry!

many of us could express similiar tales of "profit grandure"
def: the smile on one's face, after a domain reseller makes a high profit sale with end-user!


my point is...your name is only crap, when you start believing it's crap.

:)
 
Its what you put in the domain and develop it into that counts, there are so many stupid websites but we go there, simply because they have been developed well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom