Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

enom Today I logged into my enom account and I had 20 more domains than yesterday.

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Enom.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Enom put in 20 .info domains into my account that I didn't reg. Some were even .infos for .coms that I had since let expire. Weird!

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did you get billed for them?
Did you look up the whois of them, are they actually registered to other customers?

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting marketing tactic, but what the heck were those million names doing for the entire past year? Did they just decide to use up all their free .info regs and park them on their own until it came time to renew.. then give them to the customers to see if they'll pay to own / renew them? That's different, and clever at the same time.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I won't be paying to renew any of them. I have no interest in .info's.

taheria

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameYourself said:
Interesting marketing tactic, but what the heck were those million names doing for the entire past year? Did they just decide to use up all their free .info regs and park them on their own until it came time to renew.. then give them to the customers to see if they'll pay to own / renew them? That's different, and clever at the same time.

They gave them to the customers last september and they have been available to all customers who had an account since that time - there was a special tab under "My Domains" called "Promotion" that they were under - you could opt to activate the domain and take the remaining portion of the registration free of charge, or you could choose that you did not want them at all and submit for them to be deleted altogether effective immediately.

Those that did neither left the domains in a parked status - even though they were still the registrants of the domains in the whois database.

Excerpt from enom:

The .INFO domains were part of the opportunity we had last year to acquire these types of names for you at no cost. If they were not previously activated by you, we've done so in the last two days. This is why they show up on your list of active domains instead of being listed as they were before under the Redemption/Promotion domains in your account.

You are under no obligation to renew the domains. However, if you would like to renew and use this names during the coming year, each can be processed by using the ADD YEARS button on the domain control panel (or Renew a List) . These domains will all expire by 9/28/2005 and then begin dropping from your account display naturally.

If you want them removed prior to this, please let me know by sending a line-by-line list of the names and we will handle their being deleted from your account expeditiously.

/End excerpt

Hope that helps :)

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right, so in other words the total of .info registrations was inflated by about 1 million domains?!

taheria

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
octobus said:
Right, so in other words the total of .info registrations was inflated by about 1 million domains?!

Well, I suppose it depends on how you look at it. if you look at it in a way that thinks that the domains are useless/worthless then I suppose so. I chose to look at it that it was free domains and possibly traffic/sales for a little bit. Even if that didnt occur, most people I talked to seemed to think it was a nice gesture - as little as it accomplished.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
octobus said:

Well, I would imagine some would have been reg'd but overall it did inflate the info registrations.
Enom is not the only registrar who did this so there are more than a million. Dotster did it as well.

A lot of info domains will be dropping this month and going forward.

taheria

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Togoodhlth said:
Well, I would imagine some would have been reg'd but overall it did inflate the info registrations.
Enom is not the only registrar who did this so there are more than a million. Dotster did it as well.

A lot of info domains will be dropping this month and going forward.

I think most will hit expiration between the 25th and 29th of this month. Then starting arround the 1st of november (after 30 day grace) they will all start droping. I dont anticipate seeing more then maybe 200k of the 1 million just at enom staying active - but you never know.

graheme

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
taheria said:
I think most will hit expiration between the 25th and 29th of this month. Then starting arround the 1st of november (after 30 day grace) they will all start droping. I dont anticipate seeing more then maybe 200k of the 1 million just at enom staying active - but you never know.

Since ENOM made it a process to receive the domains and the customer usually did not know that the domain was registered for them
then we should see most will be dropped

just ploy to gain a short term TLD registrar rank increase, that will soon disappear,

taheria

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, technically they were registered under the sippence credential not enom's, so the domains were never part of enom's registered domain count.

incript_services

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well this is really interesting to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators