Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld transfer fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianccc

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have over the last 2 days recieved fraudulant transfer orders on some of my premium domains - all initiated from "DomainsAtCost" (Qty 24)

this is a heads up to all the .ca domainers - it happened when I had a few legitimate transfer orders to approve - it is easy to click the wrong button
and let a fraudulant one thru

I plan to dicuss this with DomainsAtCost and hopefully it is one user.

So any folks running for CIRA - this is a good place to start in finding a lock/unlock method for .CA's

~ian

update

Domains at Cost suport mentioned it was one individual user and will make a note on thier acc - ??

Kerrijo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Make a NOTE on their account? What kind of crap is that? :?:

Sorry to hear of your problems Ian. I haven't had any transfer requests myself. They must like your names!

I have over the last 2 days recieved fraudulant transfer orders on some of my premium domains - all initiated from "DomainsAtCost" (Qty 24)

this is a heads up to all the .ca domainers - it happened when I had a few legitimate transfer orders to approve - it is easy to click the wrong button
and let a fraudulant one thru

I plan to dicuss this with DomainsAtCost and hopefully it is one user.

So any folks running for CIRA - this is a good place to start in finding a lock/unlock method for .CA's

~ian

update

Domains at Cost suport mentioned it was one individual user and will make a note on thier acc - ??

dataware

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have ....

I contacted Domains at Cost .... guess why I have no domains with them ....

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I did get the same transfer request for one of my name last Friday. It was like this:

Registrant: my name
Domain(s): mydomain.ca
Current Registrar: DomainsAtCost Corp.
Future Registrar: Namespro Solutions Inc.

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've received the same types of requests from DomainsAtCost. I do many transfers and it could be easy to click without really realizing until its too late.... It sounds like a blatant attempt at thievery. However, the good thing to know is that these were "registrar" transfer requests. If you did accidentally transfer it, you are still the registrant and can move it back to whatever reputable registrar you are using rather than domainsatcost. As a side note - I would never recommend not using domainsatcost as your registrar. If they don't stop it, that means they are condoning this practice. Please keep posting here if people continue to get these requests so that we can monitor the situation.

Rob

Premiumhosted

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had requests for whole portfolio transfers several times, I just make sure I reject every time!

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've had requests for whole portfolio transfers several times, I just make sure I reject every time!

Just got that myself an hour ago. Second time this week. So very annoying.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't got any transfer requests yet but I will keep my eye out thanks for the heads up :D

@belzibut: I've noticed the same thing. The guy that ones toothbrushes.ca also owns over 200+ more domains some nice ones too:

tylenol.ca
tampons.ca
etc..

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well there are lots of Canadians that live in the US and still have Canadian citizenship.

But that email address [email protected] is the same as the one I got. It appears to be used by someone at NP. I'm thinking they did a registrant transfer wrong as I sold them a domain almost two months ago. Belzibut - could it be the same for you?

sudesh

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't got any transfer requests yet but I will keep my eye out thanks for the heads up :D

@belzibut: I've noticed the same thing. The guy that ones toothbrushes.ca also owns over 200+ more domains some nice ones too:

tylenol.ca
tampons.ca
etc..

Domain toothbrushes.ca
Registrant Name Johnson & Johnson

Domain tylenol.ca

Domain tampons.ca

Looks like a genuine company for me.. what's the problem with them?? Are they the ones, trying to transfer the domains to their account??

dnou

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Jae

That's what I suspected - contact namespro.ca and let them know you are having trouble doing a registRANT transfer for those domains. You are missing something along the way, and that comes through to us as a requested change for all domains under that particular registrant id, instead of just the one. :)

I sent you a PM at NP as well - guessing you didn't get it?

But this much is clear - the system of transferring ownership of a .ca needs to change. At least be made foolproof, because if domainers are having trouble - others outside of the business are surely going to run into the same problems.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I remember when I bought a name off whitebark and it was transfered I did the same thing accidentally. What I did was try to change the registrants email to my own and it thus contacted Roy saying I was making a critical change to all his domains. That wasn't what I expected. Now that I understand how things work it won't happen again :D So in short I understand what your going through Jae :D

Cheers,

Jay

dnou

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When selling a .ca to someone at another registrar, two transfers have to happen - first a registrant transfer, which means the seller has to login in to CIRA to first transfer his own name over to the new registrar. (this still leaves it under his ownership) Secondly, a registrant transfer is performed, in which both the buyer and the seller need to login to cira to confirm. Basically, seller needs to login in to CIRA twice, buyer, once.

What it kinda sounds like is happening is that buyer didn't login to cira to confirm, and the window to do so already expired, leaving the domain's CIRA ownership information as the seller but in the buyer's registrar account.

Whitebark, you're right, all this does sound kinda confusing... what adds to the confusion is that different registrars have their own way of doing things, some request the seller initiate the request, while others including namespro allow the buyer to make it...

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When selling a .ca to someone at another registrar, two transfers have to happen - first a registrant transfer, which means the seller has to login in to CIRA to first transfer his own name over to the new registrar. (this still leaves it under his ownership) Secondly, a registrant transfer is performed, in which both the buyer and the seller need to login to cira to confirm. Basically, seller needs to login in to CIRA twice, buyer, once.
How about just doing a registrant tranfer at the holding registrar and that way the seller just has to log in "once" to approve. The buyer can leave it there or now do a registrar transfer to their own registrar.

After all the buyer should be grateful I sold it and be prepared to do the majority of the work :smilewinkgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom