• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Travel.info Sold Today For $116,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on one small sample you draw that conclusion? I have never seen a .travel in the SERPs

Not a conclusion, just raising the issue that it may be the case now or in the future. No-one can prove how Google treats the domains 100% accurately of course. I saw a couple of ".travels" in the SERPS when I was looking for the first .info (see post above), but like I say it doesn't prove anything.

My point here is purely the risk taken by the buyer. Another way of looking at it is, if you wanted to get into the travel sector and had $116k for a domain name, would you buy travel.info ? Personally, I see an aged .com with good keywords as less risky.
 
My point here is purely the risk taken by the buyer. Another way of looking at it is, if you wanted to get into the travel sector and had $116k for a domain name, would you buy travel.info ? Personally, I see an aged .com with good keywords as less risky.

If we're talking about SEO-potential, sure an aged .com with solid keywords will give you a better running start. However, if you're looking to make a splash Travel.info might fit the bill - it's intuitive, brandable and lends credibility. Keep in mind everyone has different development and marketing strategies, and also that with calculated risk comes potential reward. While there is certainly some risk, it could end up as a shrewd investment (I think most solid generic .infos are buys at this point.) You'll find me primarily in .com, for many reasons, but I also find a lot of value in solid .infos.
 
If we're talking about SEO-potential, sure an aged .com with solid keywords will give you a better running start. However, if you're looking to make a splash Travel.info might fit the bill - it's intuitive, brandable and lends credibility. Keep in mind everyone has different development and marketing strategies, and also that with calculated risk comes potential reward.

Yes certainly "branding" is a crucial factor in devloping a solid business and I agree that travel.info may well provide that opportunity, although one would suggest you'd need a decent marketing budget behind it as you would to build any brand name. Therefore I think the $116k may only be a fraction of the overall investment required to build this name up.

rfm said:
While there is certainly some risk, it could end up as a shrewd investment (I think most solid generic .infos are buys at this point.)

It may well turn out that way, but on an as-yet unproven extension and with the SE's changing ranking algorithms all the time, it could go either way. That's where the real risk is IMO. Like you I have a few infos, but I'd shrink away from that size investment on any .info name right now.

I'd hazard a guess that with $116k in your pocket you could probably pick up a good brandable dot-com with age, existing traffic and revenue from some place like Sedo or Fabulous as a solid foundation to grow a brand.
 
NewYork.info sold recently for $70K!
 
Yup that thought hadn't escaped me but even .travel sites are ranking above .info and that's a newer extension and more targetted to the sector. Seems to me that weighting is taken into account by Google based on that observation.

Google reps have repeated on several occasions this is not the case

Moderator @ Webmasterworld
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum5/5251.htm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom