Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Tread for .mobi haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_d

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the nl in my example was just that - an example. Nothing personal intended against the Dutch domain name market.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Added with the fact that maybe, just maybe, in the future, there is no need to enter the .mobi extension when using a mobile device..

there is no way it will ever happen -typing without the extension and coming up with the mobi!

it would be against Competition Act and discrimination http://www.oft.gov.uk/Business/Legal/Competition/default.htm

same rules for everybody .com or .mobi browsing from laptop or mobile phone

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, i'm British too. What does our office of fair trading have to do with a Global product?! I know from experience the OFT are toothless anyway, aprticularly with the big players.
Don't forget the .com has basically been run & owned if you like by the US & they have just made it up as they've gone along, so i don't see why .mobi should be any different. This industry is so new really, things eveolve all the time. Plus don't forget the backers (i.e puttings shed loads of cash into it) are allowed quite some say i think into it's development.
As i would if i was fronting that kind of cash.
Pred

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
there is no way it will ever happen -typing without the extension and coming up with the mobi!

it would be against Competition Act and discrimination http://www.oft.gov.uk/Business/Legal/Competition/default.htm

same rules for everybody .com or .mobi browsing from laptop or mobile phone

why? internet explorer use to default to .com ... why can't phones default to .mobi?

and try this shortcut ... clear your browser address bar and type-in a word then hit 'ctrl' + 'enter'

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
heheheheheheh

There is a fine line between skepticism and pessimism, right Acroplex?

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, i'm British too. What does our office of fair trading have to do with a Global product?! Pred
the law is law- same everywhere( in developed countries)

just copy/pasted:

Chapter II and Article 82 give examples of specific types of conduct that are particularly likely to be considered as an abuse where the business is in a of a dominant position. These include:

imposing unfair purchase or selling prices;
limiting production, markets or technical development to the prejudice of consumers;
applying different trading conditions to equivalent transactions, thereby placing certain parties at a competitive disadvantage;

why do you think companies with .com will be happy with the ban from mobiles, you must be joking.

anyways, here it goes- mobi death and without any chance to progress, nobody will type - mobi coz its long and horrible extension and there is no way mobi wins against the com in mobile browsing ( as its simply illegal):rip:

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow, what a well thought out brilliant arguement.. "they wont type it"

*sigh*

thats funny...you edited it when i said that... its ok the internet is for venting to.. get it all out, whatever it is that is reallllly on your chest.. ;)

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wow, what a well thought out brilliant arguement.. "they wont type it"

*sigh*

thats funny...you edited it when i said that... its ok the internet is for venting to.. get it all out, whatever it is that is reallllly on your chest.. ;)

heh :lol:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the law is law- same everywhere( in developed countries)

just copy/pasted:

Chapter II and Article 82 give examples of specific types of conduct that are particularly likely to be considered as an abuse where the business is in a of a dominant position. These include:

imposing unfair purchase or selling prices;
limiting production, markets or technical development to the prejudice of consumers;
applying different trading conditions to equivalent transactions, thereby placing certain parties at a competitive disadvantage;

why do you think companies with .com will be happy with the ban from mobiles, you must be joking.

anyways, here it goes- mobi death and without any chance to progress, nobody will type - mobi coz its long and horrible extension and there is no way mobi wins against the com in mobile browsing ( as its simply illegal):rip:
Yes, you seemed to miss the points i made. Plus the oft is UK based & virtually powerless.
That combined with your incoherent ramble just about sums up your knowledge base, evidently.
Cheers now,
Predator :ranger:

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Go to WHOIS.SC and type any domain name WITHOUT Ext and see what comes up.

Surf the interent on Verizon and check out the default links on their walled intranet... no ext.

Netscape Navigator used to default to .com when a domain was typed in without ext. until they figured out they could sell ads off the search feature now presented.

Remember, you have a consutium of companies from all over the Globe supporting this... there is NO WAY you can claim a monopoly or a violation of competition rules.

Next argument please :)

Of course, there's always :lalala:

GoPC

nrmillions

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like .mobi and I think it is wise to at least invest in some .mobi names. I would rather spend $3k on 100 mobi names that at least have a chance to be worth a ton than to spend $3k on only 1 .com or .info thats only worth that much. If mobi takes off then those 100 names combined would be worth way more than whatever that 3k .info would end up being worth. I wouldnt go out and spend $100k on .mobi right now but i think any SMART investor would at least spend something. If .mobi fails and I lose $3k then so what, its not like losing $3k is going to have an effect on my life or anything. If .mobi takes off and the names are worth a ton then it can have a huge positive effect. Also, .mobi isnt that much longer an extension than .com. Its only ONE extra letter. Is .be better than .com since it is 1 less letter also? I also do not think it would be illegal for cell companies to make it where you only have to type in the word and not have to type in .mobi as long as they offer in the menu somewhere an option to default to other extensions too if you want to change it. I think in the future people will be using cellphones to access the internet instead of their laptops as mobile technology evolves and gets closer to computers. I think mobi has a chance with the billion dollar companies behind it. .museum didnt have that kind of backing. I dont think of .mobi as just another extension like ws. It is a whole new concept and the first extension for mobile phones so the potential is there. Eventually the internet will probably evolve and people might not even use domain names anymore to get to sites or there might not be a need for .com anymore. Investors who are too set in their ways with only buying .com and who cant adapt to changes of evolving technology will eventually lose out one day.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of .mobi mainly because they are already selling for more that the registration fee :)

However I believe there will always be a mix of .coms and .mobis used on mobile phones for the following reasons:

1. Most existing companies who incorporate '.com' into their brand will just use the sub domain mobile dot. eg mobile.google.com

2. Companies will not always want .mobi because their brand name may already incorporate '.com'. eg UK based lastminute.com who are known with the .com and not just as 'lastminute'.

3. Many if not most .com branded companies may not be able to get the matching .mobi.

Also for the above reasons, I no longer believe that there will be a .mobi button on mobile phones.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Um... isn't .info 4 letters?

Wasn't .info "destined for failure" as well some time ago?

Hmm.... how is a $3000 .info even possible?

I'm confused. (wink)

GoPC

alex_d

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
isnt .co.uk even longer to type in on a mobile device ??

As for people not being bothered to type in the name of a site they want to visit, I guess that no-one bothers to send text / sms messages for the same reason - "Who is gonna to type in a message to someone on their phone ??"

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have graduated from a .mobi hater to a .mobi skeptic. I still haven't heard a good answer to the /mobi vs .mobi argument, and there's now a new argument making the rounds. That is if there is a default .mobi placed on the phones, might the powers that be limit the content access to those sites controlled by the powers that be? ;-) Still haven't put in a $sawbuck yet, but I saved my lunch money from yesterday just in case.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there is no good answer.. the question now is whether or not the sponsors will convince the general public that they should use .mobi

like many have said, if .mobi buttons go on cellphones and commercials start coming on tv it doesnt matter what other way will work... what matters is how much money they have to spend and how intelligently they spend it...we'll see

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As for people not being bothered to type in the name of a site they want to visit, I guess that no-one bothers to send text / sms messages for the same reason - "Who is gonna to type in a message to someone on their phone ??"

ROTFLMAO!!! Very Good Point!!!

And WHO is doing all the texting? The next gen of mobi users... that's who. They are being indoctrinated even as we speak!

For giggles, challenge your local 12 year old to a texting challenge. Prepare to have your butt handed to you. LOL!!!

A+ for Alex_d :whoo:

GoPC

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
All those that registered .mobi en masse, were suckered into a TLD that has one minor difference from all the rest: it's meant for mobile phones (cellphones in the US).

Now, all you smarties out there that are pro-mobi, please whip out your Motorola or Ericsson or whatever, and type "supersexy.mobi". Then count the keystrokes involved and post the number here.

Until EVERYONE on the planet uses a blackberry or has a cellphone with a full keyboard, the only top .mobi names are the ones that contain only 1-keypress letters:

A, D, G, J, M, P, T, W

...or those that have a sticky mode for the numbers 0-9

The rest is just hype. And 2 years to boot!

Next time invest in mutual funds.

nrmillions

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All those that registered .mobi en masse, were suckered into a TLD that has one minor difference from all the rest: it's meant for mobile phones (cellphones in the US).

Now, all you smarties out there that are pro-mobi, please whip out your Motorola or Ericsson or whatever, and type "supersexy.mobi". Then count the keystrokes involved and post the number here.

Until EVERYONE on the planet uses a blackberry or has a cellphone with a full keyboard, the only top .mobi names are the ones that contain only 1-keypress letters:

A, D, G, J, M, P, T, W

...or those that have a sticky mode for the numbers 0-9

The rest is just hype. And 2 years to boot!

Next time invest in mutual funds.

More and more mobile phones are starting to have qwerty keyboards now and within the next 5 years probably almost all phones will have a keyboard that either slides out or something. I'm not investing in mobi names based on how crappy cellphone technology is right now at this moment. Its all about the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators