Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Two Killer Names? or wasted money?

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, since I dont have time to fully develop it, I just hope to make an extra buck with it..

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Very hard to earn revenue from forums imo :dead:

Mole: you rotate 20 CPM programs, few CPCs, Few commision banners and promote your other sites / business. I think that good forum with good traffic can be very cool thing to operate.

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very hard to earn revenue from forums imo :dead:

Well, I guess commission from selling one classic car or its part a
year would be enough.:)

M

mole

Yeah, I guess its good to direct traffic to other profitable URLs.

I see the big sites like to use subdomains like http://talk.harley.com for their forums rather than buying a separate URL for it.

Maybe this could make a harleydavidsontalk.com could serve as a gateway URL, but seems a bit long imo.

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see the big sites like to use subdomains like http://talk.harley.com for their forums rather than buying a separate URL for it.

That's what I am trying to emphasize for a long time, but very few believes me. But that's another story.

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, they do that, but it isnt very appealing to me. I preffer seperate sites to subdomains.. Subdomains just look too cheap or sth ;)

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ClassicCarTalk.com might be worth $100, probably not more. Just seems to long and too speciic for more than one or two people to be interested in buying. Low demand equals low sale price.

The Harley name is a clear TM violation, as it is definitely confusing to the market and intended to be used in exact same product area. I'd lose it. That company is pretty serious about enforcing its marks.

--
Dan Norder - Savanna.com, FineGold.com, etc.
High profile and niche domain names for sale

ezinestein

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I can't remember who said it, but I've always loved and lived by the quote: "We don't know what we don't know." Amazingly true - if only we knew it. :D

You guys are in the domain name business, yet won't buy names that are trademarked. THANK YOU!

You see, that's where the traffic flows... and when done right (as a traffic generator) there is NO problem with the company holding the Mark.

http://www.HarleyDavidsonForum.com is a perfect example of this. Open since October 25, 2001 and going strong with over 100,000 visitors this past year! And NO problem with Harley Davidson! Wow... say it aint so. :D

Please enjoy their simple disclaimer regarding Harley's Mark:

This website is no way associated with Harley Davidson, Inc™. This is a non-commercial page, trademarked™ names are used in an editorial manner only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of their trademark™. Harley, Harley - Davidson® , the Harley-Davidson® logo, & the Harley-Davidson® Bar-n-Shield, Fat Boy®, Heritage Softail®, Springer Softail®, Road King®, Dyna Glide®, and Sportster® are trademarks™ or registered trademarks™ of Harley-Davidson, Inc®., Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

So please... Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid! At least until I grab a few more of those great names okay?

Remember, those who "don't know they don't know" what constitutes Trademark infringement are leaving that many more profitable names to those who do.

Cheers,
ezinestein

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by namedropper
The Harley name is a clear TM violation, as it is definitely confusing to the market and intended to be used in exact same product area. I'd lose it. That company is pretty serious about enforcing its marks.

But since it would be a forum, I think they couldnt do anything.. Its pretty much like music star fan sites and stuf.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"HarleyDavidsom is a TM.. Why would anyone pay for it that much then?"

I agree ... best to stay clear of TM'd names! Good Luck.

DNS Kidd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If questioned, the average domain guru will say' "TM violation, don't reg it!"

This is especially true of the C & D veterans.

That said, it is written on stone tablets that you cannot own and use a TM name? No way!

What if, Willie G. Davidson has an agreement, with the web owners of harleydavidsonforum.com to just "let it be." The forum talks about how to fix ($), where to buy ($), accessories for ($) and new developments for ($), HD motorcycles.

These things are all dear to hearts of HD Inc. and their stockholders, who have done very well in this rather crummy stock market.

I will offer an opinion here, that might crash and burn if the resident legal eagles have a look at it :)

That is, if someone gives even the impression of trying to control, damage, usurp or otherwise diminish the vitality of my business or reputation, then they will have to deal with TM violations out the wazoo.

However, I can allow selected use of TM rights for those businesses that enhance my business, though I may require a disclaimer on the site.

The fact that it is a forum says right from the start that discussion of the HD marquee is the primary purpose.

The thing that the TM holders also have to do, is to keep the TM from falling in to the public domain.

Escalator, aspirin, cellophane, cornflakes, thermos, trampoline, Xerox and Kleenex - these all used to be TM words, that because of lack or enforcement, have fallen into the public domain.

To say "We don't know what we don't know." and be done with is a very simple way of looking at the issue. Better to know where you really stand, you may still be able to get what you want.

Dave

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Enough of the calls for admitting to not know things... How about stating simply with no B.S. that we do know what we know, and it is clearly a trademark violation.

The fact that you haven't been called on it yet is luck and not an indication that what the site is doing is OK. Showing advertising and intent to open an online store using their brand name is a clear indication that you want to profit off their good name. The company can change its mind at any time and go from ignoring you to shutting you down cold. Best not to even go there.

Without a signed written legal agreement from the TM owners allowing the site to use the name it has no value for resale purposes.
--
Dan Norder - Savanna.com, FineGold.com, etc.
High profile and niche domain names for sale

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
HarleyDavidsonTalk.com = $0

When I appraised this, it slipped my mind that HarleyDavidson was a TM.

At first glance, it looked like a good name for a place for people to talk about Harleys.....

Maybe you can get permission from harley to use it...the same way dealers of Harleys are allowed to use the HarleyDavidson TM in their ads, and on their signs, etc...

Theres always a chance you can use a TM legally, but the chances are slim, unless you are an authorized dealer.

If they want it back, give it to them.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Have I understood this issue.

You can't sell roast chickens on this site, but you can sell fried chicken.

You can sell roast turkey though as long as it is not in a sandwich.

and this is a motor cycle company!

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainPairs
Have I understood this issue.

You can't sell roast chickens on this site, but you can sell fried chicken.

You can sell roast turkey though as long as it is not in a sandwich.

and this is a motor cycle company!

:weird::depressed

DNS Kidd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pairs - You got it, what was so hard to understand about that :confused: :confused:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators