Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

UK Registrars

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggbilly

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To anybody out there who's regging names in the UK, here's my advice - whether you need it or not.

DON'T reg with UK companies unless you're regging .co.uk names.

If you're regging uk names, the best place I've found is 123reg.co.uk - simple & cheap. Easily.co.uk are OK too - but starting to look a little expensive at £9.99 for 2 years.

The one to avoid at all costs is www.uk2.net - cheap to get in, a nihghtmare to get out of - they have exit fees and because everything is automated, there's no customer service either.

For .coms, I use www.dreamname.com - otherwise known on these boards as goh - a good egg.

Domain summit 2024

fcolor

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Are you sure for 123reg.co.uk. Look what is written in their Terms and Conditions:

We reserve the right to amend and update these Terms and Conditions at any time without notice.
We reserve the right to amend and update these Terms and Conditions at any time without notice.

I don't think this looks reliable! What do you think?

Dimitar
HostColor.com

domaindude

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have 200 names with 123reg.co.uk and I've found them to be excellent, always prompt with their reponses and fowarding/transfers are free. Recently however they removed the phone number from their website but they respond promptly by email.
In contrast easyspace.com (or.co.uk) are terrible, there isnt even an email address for tech queries (you have to fax or snailmail).

eggbilly

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most companies have similar terms of business - you can't expect a company to keep the same terms forever - and if things change, as customers, you have the ultimate veto - walk.

I use easily.co.uk and 123reg.co.uk for UK names only.

Everything else gores through my trusty Enom reseller, dreamname.com .

Cheers

Egg

If you reg alot of .co.uk's it might be worth considering buying direct from nominet. Membership is £400 initial with £100 annual charge but then you get domains at £5 per 2 years and direct access to control the domains via PGP signed email.

http://www.nic.uk/members/invite.html

fcolor

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
:)
Well I try 123reg.co.uk then.

Regards
Dimitar

eggbilly

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's a useful post safesys - I didn't know that.

Mind you, I'm trying not to reg any names - maybe we should have a domainaholics board - I'm just taking it one day at a time.

:D

Egg

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some time ago I reg'd many .com, co.uk and org.uk names with a UK Firm named Easyspace.com, who I hear is or was the largest registrar in the U.K.

What a nightmare, terrible cust service who either never replied to many emails or replies wrongly, and excessive fees to change ownership, transfers or changing Tags. Also, impossible to contact on the phone. It was mostly an Automated BOT.

They wanted $35 per name to change Tags from them to Tucows. This was a charge they added suddenly when I asked for the changes. It was not in their Agreement earlier. I complained to Nominet about them and Nominet took control and did it free. ;)

Even though Nominet was very nice (and no cost), even there it was a long hassle getting the changes made, involving overseas postal mail required, and red-tape.

Since it was such a headache and overall hassle making changes, I only asked Nominet to help on a small number of my better names, letting all the others reg'd thru Easyspacce expire soon. They also increased their renewal fee sharply from their original very low reg fee to a cost even higher than average. Definately avoid doing any business with Easyspace. :mad:

P.S. I also recall their registration agreement says they can do most anything they want to do, including making changes or even cancelling your domains at any time and for any reason!

"mmm...me thinks goh and eggbilly are the same person. They registered in the same month, their posts happened at the same time (ok in 20 mins I could change IP). Never heard of dreamname before in my life. But if I am wrong I am willing to say I am sorry, let Dan and God decide"

SOUNDS FAMILIAR?

That's the crap I had to put up with last time.
Of course I don't SERIOUSLY mean the paragraph above, just to show you what I was subjected to the entire god-damn Memorial weekend.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep I learnt my lesson with UK2.net - they are pathetic.

I had a domain DETAGGED (like On Hold) even when I paid the renewal fee - they messed up big time and I had to contact the NIC (Nominet) to get it released!!!

When you talk to Nominet about UK2 there is a "sigh" that speaks volumes.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by timechange
"mmm...me thinks goh and eggbilly are the same person. They registered in the same month, their posts happened at the same time (ok in 20 mins I could change IP). Never heard of dreamname before in my life. But if I am wrong I am willing to say I am sorry, let Dan and God decide" SOUNDS FAMILIAR? That's the crap I had to put up with last time. Of course I don't SERIOUSLY mean the paragraph above, just to show you what I was subjected to the entire god-damn Memorial weekend.

I know of both Goh & Eggbilly. Goh is Asian and from SE Asia and Eggbilly is British from the U.K. I don't see how they could be connected to each other. The posts must be a coincidence.

Goh was a well known chatter on Afternic. He also seemed to want a higher price for his domains than I offered some time ago, so we never did any business. Eggbilly was a knowledgable AN forums poster, and owns David-Carter.com and publishes a well known and very good ebook on domains which I purchased.

Sorry you had a rough Memorial Day weekend. At least, you sold a name to me ;) one posted here. Thanks for your fine cooperation in the transfer.

P.S. You sure have great seller ratings on Ebay!

Realnames, I was not being serious about it, I made SURE that I was just displaying a similar behavior to what I received. I DON'T seriously believe that goh and eggbilly are the same, it was only for illustration purposes.

Going back to the subject of UK registrars...since the UK databases are in the dd/mm/yyyy format, doesn't that complicate software that checks for expiration dates etc?

hi,
this is not directly related to the thread, but I have found some very nice detagged domains. If I call or email nominet do you think they just release those names. How can I get those detagged names even though they are not belonging to me

eggbilly

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nominet are good when you have disputes - as long as you can prove the stuff you are claiming.

I have no idea how & when they release detagged names - others are more knowledgeable.

I use 123reg a lot - and in a post a little earlier, I said I don't reg anymore. Then I found a couple that I couldn't resist. 123 got the .co.uk business, dreamnames got the .coms.

I am not goh. he no's nuffin and I no's sumfin. (sic)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys If you reg alot of .co.uk's it might be worth considering buying direct from nominet. Membership is £400 initial with £100 annual charge but then you get domains at £5 per 2 years and direct access to control the domains via PGP signed email.http://www.nic.uk/members/invite.html

Another solution to avoid paying excessive fees on UK names is to complain about a UK Registrar (if justified complaint) and ask Nominet to take over the names from them, they will do so FREE and make all requested changes free, and also assume the role of the registrar.

I know this is so as I did this with half a dozen UK names I had reg'd at EasySpace. EasySpace was unresponsive, offered poor support or no support and wanted to charge a large transfer fee to change the Tags. :mad:

After complaining about then to Nominet it was all done free. :) Nominet is now listed as the Registrar of those names, with all changes done free by them, not even a domain expiration date shown on Whois ;)

no .uk's have their expiry date in the whois yet.

thats set to change come summer.

D

DaniilKharms

How do you find the owner of a UK domain, there is a serious lack of infro in the whois. Do you have to contact Nominet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators