Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Unfulfilled, bs offers from DNF'ers are increasing- anyone else seeing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petercol

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The number of bogus, bullsh*t offers from DNF'ers has increased dramatically. I have had 3 offers for 3 different names that I had been negotiating with 3 different DNF'ers in the past 4 weeks - now I cannot get a reply from any of them. Is this something happening sitewide? I'm not being rude, disrepectful, arrogant - in fact, in every case I have come down on my asking prices significantly and, in one, even agreed to allow payments.

Is there any way to give another member a "negative" rating for this type of action? Obviously, when a sale IS made, everyone says the other person is great, wonderful, happy, fast, good deal, 100%, etc. But, what about the ones that waste your time? If someone isn't truly interested in buying, and they are wasting a lot of members' time - we should have a way of noting that.

I have never backed out of an offer. I have, however, had at least 10 members back out of offers over the years, and more that just stop contacting - and because it's mostly done by PM, there is no "public" record of these issues.

I could care less if I sell or keep all my domains for another 15 years, but when someone is interested in purchasing - at least have the common courtesy of replying to emails - or don;t even start negotiations - why waste both our time?

I know someone can look at PM's to see if these claims can be substantiated - is there a way to do this?

I'm just so tired of dealing with flakes and time wasters. Buy or don;t - I really don;t care - but, if you make an offer, and show interest - conclude it one way or another -

BE A LITTLE COURTEOUS PERHAPS?????

Upvote 0

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's the solution:

Just add a completed $ value beside each member's name. They do this on flippa and its a great way for professional sellers to identify a buyer who is just wasting time vs. someone who has actually completed high dollar sales in the past.

As for people backing out this will always happen in every business.. especially commonplace right now with tougher economic times. People's budgets can change weekly or even daily so while their interest may be sincere the funds just probably aren't there for one reason or another. I agree if an offer is actually made and also accepted that this is not acceptable. However if someone expresses interest, casually mentions a number and that is not accepted or let to go at the time, one cannot expect to go back to that person 3 or 4 weeks later for an immediate sell. There is a difference between expressing interest and a binding offer that has been accepted on both sides.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's the solution:

Just add a completed $ value beside each member's name. They do this on flippa and its a great way for professional sellers to identify a buyer who is just wasting time vs. someone who has actually completed high dollar sales in the past.

Flippa is a waste of time. They're are overpriced, have awful customer service and 99% of everything there is BS.

@Peter - Sometimes life just happens. I know I'm juggling a couple businesses and I'm sure other members of DNF are doing the same. :)

nicedomains

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Flippa is a waste of time. They're are overpriced, have awful customer service and 99% of everything there is BS.

NameYourself was only mentioning a feature on the Flippa marketplace that I agree would better the marketplace here at DNF and it addresses the issue brought up by the OP. Who cares how you feel about Flippa?

I have not had many of the problems you mention, then again I am mostly buying here and sellers are generally much more proactive in responding and completing transactions.

Last edited:

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

@Peter - Sometimes life just happens. I know I'm juggling a couple businesses and I'm sure other members of DNF are doing the same. :)
True and plenty of misleading domain auctions. There's a seller selling 3 character domains and calling it a LLL.com. I reported it and Flippa took no action.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But are they selling?

And it would be interesting to know how many sales are not completed.
Flippa shows listing as sold before the deals are done. I gave up on them after couple of deals that didn't go through. Buyer just stopped responding to requests.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did they accept the deals and not respond after?
The number of bogus, bullsh*t offers from DNF'ers has increased dramatically. I have had 3 offers for 3 different names that I had been negotiating with 3 different DNF'ers in the past 4 weeks - now I cannot get a reply from any of them. Is this something happening sitewide? I'm not being rude, disrepectful, arrogant - in fact, in every case I have come down on my asking prices significantly and, in one, even agreed to allow payments.

Is there any way to give another member a "negative" rating for this type of action? Obviously, when a sale IS made, everyone says the other person is great, wonderful, happy, fast, good deal, 100%, etc. But, what about the ones that waste your time? If someone isn't truly interested in buying, and they are wasting a lot of members' time - we should have a way of noting that.

I have never backed out of an offer. I have, however, had at least 10 members back out of offers over the years, and more that just stop contacting - and because it's mostly done by PM, there is no "public" record of these issues.

I could care less if I sell or keep all my domains for another 15 years, but when someone is interested in purchasing - at least have the common courtesy of replying to emails - or don;t even start negotiations - why waste both our time?

I know someone can look at PM's to see if these claims can be substantiated - is there a way to do this?

I'm just so tired of dealing with flakes and time wasters. Buy or don;t - I really don;t care - but, if you make an offer, and show interest - conclude it one way or another -

BE A LITTLE COURTEOUS PERHAPS?????

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a difference between expressing interest and a binding offer that has been accepted on both sides.

agree, and i think we should know which scenerio happened.

tirekickers are everywhere... so i would only be interested in knowing about those members who failed to complete transactions on binding offers.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But are they selling?

And it would be interesting to know how many sales are not completed.

I auctioned off one website their for $2500. The buyer backed out. Sold the website a second time for $450. Flippa is unreliable. I couldn't imagine half of their inventory selling..ever.

As for DNF.. Maybe having an activity rating would help mitigate the problem. I suppose the users post count could give an indication but it's not always accurate.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"Flippa" As in Flip

I think it's part of the business, when you deal with resellers who for the most part want something for nothing, some of which would steal a domain from their own mother, are you really surprised they don't follow through on a deal?, Some do have class, these are usually domainers who know how to run a business, but I think the majority of domainers simply don't, is it any wonder why almost 90% of businesses fail?

Aside from all the low balling, I hate selling to resellers/domainers, I'd rather wait a 1-12 months for a end user to come along than deal with some of the flakes we see on the forums.. I'm still LMAO off at the thread I posted years ago offering a list of 20 domains for $200 each, I received only 1 offer for $40, declined it and ended up selling 6 domains from that list to end users for between 2K-4K each... It just pays to wait, but if flipping is your main source of income and you cant afford to wait, then my advice to you is DEAL with the headaches that come with it.

petercol

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree - I'm not in a rush and I have had the same experiences as you - I sold one domain I had for sale for $500 in 2000 to an end user in 2002 for $55K, another I would have sold for $500 or less, for $35K. I know most of my names are development names - end user names - which is why I really don't care, and why I really don't like wasting my time. I've even had one of the brokerage firms (you know who you are - you have a DNF account) make offers on over 100 of my names for resale - all offers were under $100, most under $50 (and, I guarantee every one of those names would have been listed for sale at $5K+). That same list of domains has generated $116K to date - to end users, mostly $2-8K each - and I still own over 1/2 the names. One of the names, which I had an offer of $25K in 2000 (reg'd in '99) is one of the names I referred to in my original post. I accepted a lower price - with a down payment and financing at 0% - which I have done MANY times - have heard nothing back! That's what gets me. But, I still own over 2K domains (down from 6K) and I know there are $10K+ end user for at least 200 of them - many of which I have NEVER put up for sale - just waiting for the end user to find me (like with the 2 noted above) - so I'm in no rush! Just venting more than anything - all the DNF'ers that I HAVE done business with have been great - and when I see one of those members inquiring about a name, I know it's a serious inquiry. And, maybe # of posts IS somewhat of an indicator - my 946 is lower than ALMOST all others in this thread - maybe number of post should "weight" the rating system? Just an idea. Chances are if you have made 1000+ posts, you're pretty serious and definitely active. DN's are definitely NOT my main business, but I do like it - when the parties are serious. I've sold names and done trades simply because I knew the other party would utilize the name (develop it) much better than I ever would - a few hundred bucks isn't going to change anyone's life - but the right domain name could!

"Flippa" As in Flip

I think it's part of the business, when you deal with resellers who for the most part want something for nothing, some of which would steal a domain from their own mother, are you really surprised they don't follow through on a deal?, Some do have class, these are usually domainers who know how to run a business, but I think the majority of domainers simply don't, is it any wonder why almost 90% of businesses fail?

Aside from all the low balling, I hate selling to resellers/domainers, I'd rather wait a 1-12 months for a end user to come along than deal with some of the flakes we see on the forums.. I'm still LMAO off at the thread I posted years ago offering a list of 20 domains for $200 each, I received only 1 offer for $40, declined it and ended up selling 6 domains from that list to end users for between 2K-4K each... It just pays to wait, but if flipping is your main source of income and you cant afford to wait, then my advice to you is DEAL with the headaches that come with it.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is funny, 2 years back, the OP would not honor a sale for a domain I won at BIDO auction, Remember that one PeteC.

Before you call others out, maybe you should follow the same rules for yourself.

The transaction is still logged in my Bido account: Seller wouldn't transfer, transaction canceled

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is funny, 2 years back, the OP would not honor a sale for a domain I won at BIDO auction, Remember that one PeteC.

Before you call others out, maybe you should follow the same rules for yourself.

The transaction is still logged in my Bido account: Seller wouldn't transfer, transaction canceled

so what goes around.....comes around?

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Trader Rating is one indicator. Most of us who have been around here for several years have TR in at least the double, if not triple, figures.

The number of bogus, bullsh*t offers from DNF'ers has increased dramatically.

There was a big influx of new members a couple of months back, as a result of a big advertising recruitment drive. Maybe that was partly to blame for the increase in 'flakey' buyers?

petercol

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ian, you're fine - i was in NO WAY referring to you - this was 3 different deals with 3 different DNF'ers where offers were made & accepted - and not followed through. Sorry to take so long to reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

domacq

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
making an offer isn't making a binding deal until its been confirmed like already mentioned. Some people trade shares, others trade domains (Some both...). I think rarely does a person come on here to buy one domain then leave... so if they make an offer... and the seller doesn't respond quick enough, they might come across another domain and buy that instead.

Flippa is awful. Most buyers are so wet behind the ears... my advice watch the site daily for 2 weeks... then you will learn a lot. Its typically a portfolio of third-best domain names with the same script being packaged into a money making opportunity. I watch flippa as rarely, but significantly... as it does happen, you will get a real gem on there...

Most, however, Typically:-
*a $8 domain
* free/open source/cheap(duplicated more times then licensed - <$20) script
* claims of being established / income (notice the revenue is never "claimed")
* the USA/UK/Australia/Europe website has a nice lowish Alexa ranking in India or China (run a mile!)

This lower than $40 cost can be sold for 20 times that. The same sellers keep registering new accounts..

I think the flippa style value indication is something to think about but it needs to be implemented without trying to impersonate flippa too much. DNF is a professional-targeted site, flippa is more of a playground IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom