Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Unix Hosting with Root Access - Any Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for a hosting solution which would offer at least (for comparison purposes):

Standard Features (Unix Only)
- 500 MB of Hard Disk Storage
- 30 GB of Monthly Transfer
- Up to 30 Virtual Hosts
- MySQL Database
- Shell (SSH and Telnet) Access
- 1 IP Address
- 24/7 Technical Support
- Full Power backup
- Web-based Control Panel
- Root Access
- Unlimted FTP/Shell Users

Email Features
- Unlimited POP E-mail Accounts
- Unlimited E-mail Aliases
- SSL E-mail Encryption
- Sendmail w/Enhanced Anti-Spam Capabilities

FTP Features
- Private ProFTP Server
- Anonymous FTP Access

Customization Features
- Configurable Shell User Rights
- Daily Statistical Hit Analysis Using Analog
- Full Access to Access, Agent, and Referrer Logs
- Full Telnet/SSH access
- Access to Server Configuration Files
- Automated Tasks with Cron
- Comprehensive Users Guide

Technology Features
- Microsoft® FrontPage® 2000 Server Extension
- Full Custom CGI Execution Capability
- Perl, Mod Perl, C, C++, SSI, PHP4
- Windows Networking Client Support (SAMBA)
- Miva Empressa Engine Support
- Apache Web Server Version
- Software Package Library

Database Features
- MySQL Database Server

Any ideas on a reliable! and affordable :D solution? The key issue is root access on a Unix server, with solid MySQL and PHP support, along with the ability to run 20+ virtual domains. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Domain summit 2024

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameBox ... Could you be a little more specific and give a bit more detail?

... just kidding ...

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
www.mcHost.com comes to mind - never used them but my friends love them.

As for FP extensions - try to avoide useing them if you can.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DotComster
www.mcHost.com comes to mind - never used them but my friends love them.

As for FP extensions - try to avoide useing them if you can.

Thanks. I don't use FP extensions actually, just trying to compare a package from my current hosting supplier (interland), hence the detailed package above. I'll check out your suggestion.

Originally posted by NameBox
Hi all,

Looking for a hosting solution which would offer at least (for comparison purposes):

- Root Access

NO ONE in there right mind is going to give someone on a shared server root access. If you find someone who is, be _real_ skeptical about working with them. If they give root to you they will give it to others too - all of whom can:

-See, change or delete your files
-Read your mail
-Forge mail _from your account_
-Totally screw up the server (in any number of ways)
-etc

If you want to get root access, a dedicated server is the only way to go. That way you know no one else is messing with your data, and your the only one with root.

Expect to pay a decent amount of money for this. Dedicated servers are cheaper now, but their not as dirt cheap as shared hosting.

Take care,

Brian

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
bteeter,

I am comparing an Interland product (the specs in my most referred to their Freedom 400x) virtual server with root access. They've been running this for almost two years, with little problems (at least I haven't heard of any complaints), and of course they are huge and reputable.

Only problem is the price - quite expensive at $125-$150/month. If you have any ideas about dedicated servers strong on PHP and MySQL support on FreeBSD or Linux, please let me know.

Floyd, thanks for the referral, I'll check it out.

bteeter,

I am comparing an Interland product (the specs in my most referred to their Freedom 400x) virtual server with root access. They've been running this for almost two years, with little problems (at least I haven't heard of any complaints), and of course they are huge and reputable.

Only problem is the price - quite expensive at $125-$150/month. If you have any ideas about dedicated servers strong on PHP and MySQL support on FreeBSD or Linux, please let me know.

Floyd, thanks for the referral, I'll check it out.

Ah, I see. Their running VPS's. I've never experienced one of those, but essentially, they run a bunch of VPS's on one box and split the box's resources amongst each. Sounds like it could be a good solution for you.

Also, you could take a look at Rackshack.net or Nocster.net for cheap dedicated servers. Starting in the $99 range, with control panels, PHP, MySQL, etc.

Take care,

Brian

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the dedicated servers. I primarily need the account for developement work (to later migrate into production). Generally, I'll be fiddling with a hosted email application, bulletin boards, etc., and may want to upgrade versions of PHP, etc., as they become available. Hence the need for root access.

Took a quick look at your service. On the virtual side, pretty impressive bang for the buck! Your dedicated solutions seem more expensive than your suggestions of $99 at rackspace.net, etc.

What are you offering which is better than the $99 package. In your opinion, are the $99 packages worthwhile (given what I'm after).

Thanks! :)

Took a quick look at your service. On the virtual side, pretty impressive bang for the buck! Your dedicated solutions seem more expensive than your suggestions of $99 at rackspace.net, etc.

Thanks. :)

Our dedicated solutions are more expensive for two reasons:

1) We include the CPanel / Web Hosting Manager control panel suite. CPanel is _the_ leading web site control panel software out there. Ensim, Plesk and the Cobalt RAQ control panel are kids toys compared to CPanel. Take a look at this page (and the screenshot on the page) to see all the different things you can do with the CPanel control panel:

http://www.assortedinternet.com/hosting/learn-about/web-hosting-control-panel-cpanel3.jsp

Web Hosting Manager is the "Web Hosts" interface to the server. It lets you create web site accounts, manage bandwidth, restart servers, etc. It is also very feature rich, and makes a Web Host's/Server Admin's life much easier. (Think WebMin on steriods.)

License fees for CPanel and WHM run us about $90 per month, per server - adding to our costs, and the costs we pass on to our customers.

2) We provide 24/7 technical support. Most $99 dedicated servers are unmanaged. Meaning, they do only three things for you:

a) Fix hardware issues (dead boards, drives, etc)
b) Make sure the network is running
c) Press the reboot button when you tell them to

Thats it. You have to do everything else yourself - including installing software, managing security problems, etc. You sound like you have some skills, so this might not be a problem for you.

But, with our dedicated server packages, we do support the server. We keep the box updated and patched, etc. We will help you solve problems, install software, etc. You don't get that with the $99 providers.

That is the second item that causes the price to go up. Support.

What are you offering which is better than the $99 package. In your opinion, are the $99 packages worthwhile (given what I'm after).

Thanks! :)

I think I explained it with the two items above. In my opinion #2 : Support is most important. Unless you really know your stuff, it can be hard and take hours or days to solve server side problems. Rackshack and Nocster won't help - that's outside of what they offer for $99.

That is the extra value we offer. Yes - it costs more, but it can be worth it. Ultimately, its up to you to decide what kind of support you need.

Take care,

Brian

zoltan

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I would recommend you a fully dedicated server. I have positive experience with www.catalog.com, you should try them, they are very helpful.

No, I'm not an affiliate of them, nor do I work for them...

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thank you GeorgeK. I'll check it out!

To NameBox:

Check out ispserver.com
They gives exactly what you want and even more :D
You can try and test it for 10 days for free http://ispserver.com/en/support/demo/anketa.html

To bteeter:

You also should try it before giving your authoritative opinion.
This is real root access for shell and friendly web interface.
Dedicated server 99$/mo is always desguasting quality:cry:
DS with good quality is always more expensive.

Dont forget to share your impression after testing with us.

Best regards.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Hi all,

- Root Access
Any ideas on a reliable! and affordable :D solution? The key issue is root access on a Unix server, with solid MySQL and PHP support, along with the ability to run 20+ virtual domains. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You are going to fail with this requirement unless you get a dedicated server.

Dedicated servers are $100+/month. But with a dedicated server, you can do whatever you want :)

-Bob

Originally posted by Bob

You are going to fail with this requirement unless you get a dedicated server.

Dedicated servers are $100+/month. But with a dedicated server, you can do whatever you want :)

-Bob

Bob, didn't you see the banner ad. on top for raq4less.com , it is only 79 bux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators