Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

info Upcoming Forum Chat Integration: Share Your Thoughts on "Chat 2 by Siropu"

An informative domain name related thread.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Chat takes away from the forum database because there is no history.

Conversations should be held on the board to increase activity.

If you put in chat chances are the board activity will go down.

It is one of the reasons I removed chat from our board.

Last edited:

EM

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't see much activity in the forum, and the chat will do no good. A chat can be used for other things like organizing live domain auctions.

namegulf

NameGulf.com Domain Marketplace
Reaction score
This is a forum and forum format does what it does best - talking or sharing at your convenience.

On the other hand, chat may be useful for members to talk to each other!

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We are planning to add a chat to the forum, most probably "Chat 2 by Siropu." Comments, thoughts, and suggestions are welcome :)

Thank you,
Felix
Just got an email that will save you a few bucks from Siropu.
Hello,

This is Siropu from siropu.com and I want to wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous new year! To celebrate this year's Christmss, I have a promo code (valid until January 1st) that will give you a 30% discount on license renewals and new add-on purchases: XMAS2023

Thank you for using my add-ons,
Wish you all the best!

Level 4
Reaction score
Gonna need active users first... I don't see too many of those around.

Chat is great on an active forum but a waste of money and resources in a ghost town.

Reaction score
Gonna need active users first... I don't see too many of those around.

Chat is great on an active forum but a waste of money and resources in a ghost town.
yep. I do agree. It doesn't make sense having chat if a forum doesn't have at least 100+ people online.

Keral_Patel

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Conversations should be held on the board to increase activity.

If you put in chat chances are the board activity will go down.

It is one of the reasons I removed chat from our board.
Good suggestion. Moreover it will also need a 24/7/365 moderator in there otherwise it tends to get spammed quite a lot.

Didn't knew you had a forum. Will check it out right now.

Thanks.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If @DNF Admin is going with Chat 2, both of these problems have solutions:
A thread number (or a specific thread, rather) can be set to archive chat so that it is searchable.

This is how it is (or was, as I haven't visited in ages) on NamePros with 1 thread having 1 message archive 10-20 of the last messages and posting a new message following it with the next 10-20 chat messages (therefore arguably inflating and throwing off the true board's message count).
Good suggestion. Moreover it will also need a 24/7/365 moderator in there otherwise it tends to get spammed quite a lot.
There can be a minimum time between messages (kind of like "slow mode" on YouTube Live). However, I would employ something like a new user group permission where someone must be a member for at least an hour (or whatever arbitrary number that DNF picks) before anyone can send a message to the chat. Or, the best of both worlds and have both enabled so that moderators don't have to feel like they're going to be overwhelmed babysitting (if it comes to that).

These solutions are based on Chat 2 by Siropu, which is a much heavier application for a chatroom (with private rooms/messaging/etc.).

I would go with something like Shoutbox as it would be just 1 chatroom at first to see if it's worth having. If there's too much cross-topic chat, then a change to Chat 2 would be something to look into... but I think chat would be rather slow. That said, you can still archive, albeit in a different manner than threads (which is why I like Chat 2 better for that), and offer user groups to enable the shoutbox.

I would be in favor of Chat 2 with features disabled, until a need for them arises (except for archiving and spam avoidance systems), over Shoutbox because you might have to double-spend if you do upgrade to a better system.

One cool feature that I didn't know existed (to this extent) is more commands,
Code:
/ai
in particular. It can give you an AI-generated response, which would in turn be archived (unsure of SEO repercussions on that).

Here is the output for:
Code:
/ai is .com better than a .net domain?

1705299162247.png

I suppose
Code:
/ai
could be the last resort for the search function... and might actually require a separate chatroom so that AI messages don't clog normal chat flow.

Looking forward to seeing how you can turn this show around.

If you need help setting either of these up, I'm here to lend a helping hand for the greatest domain name forum.

-amp

DNF Admin

Administrator
DNF Staff
Reaction score
Thank you so much @amplify for such detailed information and suggestions; I truly appreciate it! Your thoughts on the chat features are very helpful. Also, thank you for offering your support! If we move forward with the chat, I'll be sure to reach out for your assistance.

Cheers, Felix

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom