Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed .us

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uuallan

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mike
uu, Who is the ISO? I'm sorry, I but do not think I know. I know who ICANN is ( UCANT would be a better acronym for that lot of one world government types).

ISO is the International Organization for Standardization (http://www.iso.ch/), it is an international onganization made up of representatives from the standards bodies of countries around the world. The purpose of ISO is to develop standards and practices to allow countries to trade and communicate with each other (like when a company says they are ISO 9000 certified).

ISO 3166 is a document identifying 2-letter country codes for all countries in the world: http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/list-en1.html

Because these documents are approved by all members of the ISO, they are accepted as standard. That is why the .us domain was originally developed almost 20 years ago. When ccTLD were first introduced in the 80s it made sense for the IETF to adopt the existing ISO standards, rather than create new standards.

Further uu, I think the DOC, should claim the .USA, on behalf of Americans like you and me, so it can be free! Free from UCANT tyranny!

And UU, how could a three letter ccTLD be a technical difficulty? Sorry to do this to you but, Ever hear of .com or .net? So what if they are gtld's. It is possible to restrict .com registrations to Americans only if the gov wanted too.

The Department of Commerce had the chance to run the gTLD, and were unable to, which is why they farmed it out to Network Solutions. I am also not sure I feel comfortable with any government organization running a gTLD or a ccTLD. Despite my misgivings, if the government were to run a .usa domain, there is no guarantee that ICANN would support it. Therefore .usa would not be part of the root name servers, and would be about as effective as a .sex domain.

A 3-letter ccTLD would not be a difficulty, in and of itself, however, if the standard is that ccTLDs should be 2-letter, why should the US be any different? There is nothing wrong with a .us extension, and I don't see any reason that it should not be used.

I'm not concerned about restricting access to domain registrations, I am more concerned with following accepted practices, and us is the internationally accepted name convention for the United States.

M

mike

I understand completely about cctld's vs. gtld's, And offered the solution to use te.USA gtld as a cctld above. What you seem to fail to grasp Real, is that the .USA is not the property of ICANN but is the TM of the United States Of America. It's appalling for the U.S to subjugate itself to the will of UCANT. Hence, my calling upon the DOC (that'd be the U.S. Department of Commerce, not the Department of Corrections, in case you didn't know) to take control of and operate .USA! Hopefully, Washington will free the internet from the grasp of the one-worlder UCANT'ers, the way they should have in the first place. It is never too late for freedom, baby!

Before you go ballistic, Real, realize that I am not trying to rain on your .US parade. Having been around the block a few times more than I'd like to admit, I know that anything can and does happen in this world. Opening .USA is not outside the realm of possibilities. In fact, I'd say It's likely to happen in 3 to 5 years tops. Especially considering the current world political climate and wave of patriotism sweeping America.

And who the hell do you think ICANN is anyway, that they would have the power to "grant" the United States Of America the .USA tld. ??? Come'on Realnames, Get real!

M

mike

UU, Thanks, you sure do know about ISO. Like you said though, the .US was developed in the eighties almost twenty years ago. Before consideration of Advertising and Marketing on the net was given any weight. Thats where .USA rocks over .US. (.USA chant) Hey Hey Hey free the .USA)

We should be different by leading other nations into the info age, not adhering to outmoded restrictions that limit commercial potential of the net. It's not outmoded? Just look at the awful double dot cctld's out there like .co.uk. Pewwww. How eighties!
I can't imagine that America's top geeks couldn't make .USA interoperable with ISO protocols UU anyway. And If not , So what? . Mark my words -
One day, there will be a .USA! And that's all I have to say!

i can vision a day where there is an TLD .USA

the ccTLD is already in place as .us (for the UnitedStates)

i forsee
the .USA would be another TLD extension such as the
.info or .biz

most likely it'de be open to all people to register, as with a .com

Many int'l companies hold a biz presence in the usa & hold usa corporations..

Domain country codes are using 2 chars (hence 676 combinations). Since the code for USA exists (.US) there is no practical manner that .USA will be introduced as well.

M

mike

Good Show, Biz.
So, What are your plans for property.us?

I have a three ideas for Property.us

1. You could ride the .US craze we seem to be in and sell that baby to a real estate company fast.

2. You could build a real estate directory links page first, accumulate traffic stats and wait for a buyer to come to you.

3. Write a business plan, get VC funding and do an IPO on NASDAQ.

Man I like telling other people what to do with their url's! It's so easy.

Don't forget that between the biz pland and the VC funding you have to network! VC funding does not occur by knocking doors of venture capitalists but by being referred to them by others :D

Originally posted by snoopy
.usa and and .us are way to similar, bringing out a .usa would be madness.

Panic
Disorder
Chaos

is what they love.. they live for this kind of
mad environment....

so, that's why it'll probably happen..

Why make anything EASY... (from the stand point of ICANN and
the Registry's) that would be TOO EASY..

Panic / Choas / Disorder..

that's how they like it! :laugh:

ROFL

Well they are into panic and chaos, but they are not admitting it :D

Good point though :)

Mike, I'm going to sit on it for now. I would obviously consider a big offer but I don't plan on trying to sell it. I just wouldn't want to put time and money on a name if .US doesn't take off.
If .US gets as big as it could then I'll try to make something of it.

M

mike

Wanda, You've got IT girl.

I can already picture the press release from one of UCANT's closed door meetings to their registrars.

Due to the success of the .US tld in filling our coffers, we've decided to give the public the American Brand they really want, .USA.

And, of course, the registrars will love the new source of revenue
It's only a matter of time before we get spam to "Register your new .USA domain today."

I call it "the UCANT hustle.".

And the more successful .US is, the faster UCANT will roll out .USA

And the music plays on at UCANT to the tune of "Do the Hustle" Do, Do Do, Do Do Do Do, Do Do Do Do Do... Do the hustle!

Hey Timeman, For sure, I left out more steps than just "Networking VC's" in order to make that IPO fly. Just trying to ge the point across that Property.us has excellent commercial development potential.
I

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators