Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed .us

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

property.us
I'd like to your thoughts on .us names.
How good is .co.uk in Europe?

Personally I don't think .us will go far, seems the country is to entrenched in .com. Property.us sounds pretty good for a dot.us though, and is surely one of the better .us names.

Originally posted by biznames
property.us
I'd like to your thoughts on .us names.
How good is .co.uk in Europe?

one of the best .US single word prefix domain's, i've seen.

i think it's value will increase over time, as .us rolls out.. and becomes more 'common'..

it's a real winner. goodluck.

Thanks for the input.
Do you know if other country codes like .co.uk are good?
I have heard that they are first or second in Europe. Is that true?
If it is, Is that true for each cc and their respective country?
I appreciate any input that you can give.

Thank you,
Keith Ouellette

.co.uk's are widely used in the UK and they used to get good prices (my average selling price for them back in 99 was over $3,000).

But there seems to be little interest in buying them at a premium these days - .com's still sell well over here, but its getting hard to move .co.uk's for anything over $350 now.

.co.uk /.co.nz etc etc are the biggest rip-off from the local NIC registry.

In Greece they went as far as creating: .com.gr / .net.gr etc.

M

mike

I never could understand why the UK put up with the dreaded double dot tld .co.uk or Greece and New Zealand, for that matter. What a freaky nightmare for advertisers and consumers alike.

About .US names; I've always thought it was best suited for the Federal Government to use excusively instead of .gov! Plus, what would happen to .us values if they roll out .USA? IMHO, .USA ,is much, much better than .US. I know its longer, but it just makes more sense to me then just .US!

Regardless if they ever open .USA or not, Property.us is top drawer indeed. If I had a qualified prospective buyer to present it to, I'd start by asking 20k for it without flinching or blinking an eye. Remember, you can always come down in price. It's near impossible to go up. If the customer bulked and fought hard they could probably beat me down to 10k (because in the back of my mind, I'd be worried about the .USA thing). But thats it. 10k is the minimum offer I would take now for property.us, if it were mine. Is it yours Biz?

Of course, same with bidding: you bid the max you are willing to pay.

About the .USA TLD, there was a recent scam that was selling non-existant domains with the .USA (and .SEX) TLDs.

the .co. in .co.uk has not proved to be a barrier to their takeup or marketing.

pricewise, they cost £5 ($8 approx) wholesale for 2 years registration.

The difference is, that in Greece the scheme did not work. Nobody wanted to pay through the nose for .com.gr when you can either go for the .com or the .gr - eventually the .gr was opened, much like .de for Germany, .fr for France etc. Why would you need to use the .co prefix for .co.uk is beyond my understanding.

M

mike

Timechange, Didn't hear about the .USA scam, and I'm really happy that I missed it because I'm sure I would have regged a few. Maybe the british will ante up and pay the Ukraine for.UK (they could use the dough), or even .GR for Great Britain.

M

mike

Thats .GB for Great Britain not .GR!
Yikes, where are my glasses?

uuallan

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mike

About .US names; I've always thought it was best suited for the Federal Government to use excusively instead of .gov! Plus, what would happen to .us values if they roll out .USA? IMHO, .USA ,is much, much better than .US. I know its longer, but it just makes more sense to me then just .US!

.us is the ISO-approved country code for the Unites States. I sincerely doubt ICANN, or whatever body winds up governing the domain name system, would approve a .usa domain, because it would be non-standard in relation to the other country codes, which use the ISO nomenclature.

M

mike

uu, Who is the ISO? I'm sorry, I but do not think I know. I know who ICANN is ( UCANT would be a better acronym for that lot of one world government types).

Further uu, I think the DOC, should claim the .USA, on behalf of Americans like you and me, so it can be free! Free from UCANT tyranny!

And UU, how could a three letter ccTLD be a technical difficulty? Sorry to do this to you but, Ever hear of .com or .net? So what if they are gtld's. It is possible to restrict .com registrations to Americans only if the gov wanted too.

Just restrict registration for .USA's to the American people and entities, like they are doing with .US registrations. Problem solved, right?

M

mike

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention. Last night, I was channel surfing cable and came across footage/ highlights of past USA olympic basketball gold medal victories. The crowds were chanting "USA! USA! Go all the way, USA!" Gave me goosebumps! The players had the tree most powerful letters in the world emblazoned across their pride swelt chests.

Believe me, uu, one day, there will be a .USA!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by uuallan

.us is the ISO-approved country code for the Unites States. I sincerely doubt ICANN, or whatever body winds up governing the domain name system, would approve a .usa domain, because it would be non-standard in relation to the other country codes, which use the ISO nomenclature.

Agree with that. Since approving a .usa extension would be non-standard and also duplicate and devalue the great new .us ext it is extremely unlikely usa ext would ever be granted.

Especially with so many other hoped for tld's paying $50,000 each in the past and not being approved, such as the excellent proposed for ICANN accreditation extension .WEB and others.

M

mike

re: Thats "three most powerful letters" not "tree most powerful letters".
The point of my antecdote is that they weren't chanting "US" "US" ! The players didn't have US on their jerseys, they had USA.

Be wary of .US's, .USA is America's brand to be!

Sorry Mike I was just going over this thread and realized that you asked if it were mine. Yes it is, :D It's the only name I bought for me. All the other .us that I bought were for clients protecting trademarks.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mike
re: Thats "three most powerful letters" not "tree most powerful letters".
The point of my antecdote is that they weren't chanting "US" "US" ! The players didn't have US on their jerseys, they had USA.

Be wary of .US's, .USA is America's brand to be!

The issue that you do not seem to understand when we say 'standard' is that country codes are two letters long, not three.

Therefore, there is amost a zero chance ICANN would ever approve a 3 letter usa country code.

Two letter country codes are also standard as far as postal mail goes. Why in the world do you think the rules would be changed simply to allow a .usa extension (which also negatively duplicates .us). It's ridiculous for you to think they would ever do so. :rolleyes:

.usa and and .us are way to similar, bringing out a .usa would be madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom