Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I've seen some nice .us domains still available but as a Brit i'm not allowed to register them, any ideas on how i can get around this?

Domain summit 2024

Just a word of advise - not meaning to be negative here.

If the Registry determines that a name has been registered without conforming to the Nexus requirements, they have every right to simply revoke your registration - no refund...

One of the following eligibility requirements must be met:

A natural person who is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories or whose primary place of domicile is in the United States of America or any of its possessions, or

Any entity or organization that is incorporated within one of the fifty (50) U.S. states, the District of Columbia, or any of the United States possessions or territories or organized or otherwise constituted under the laws of a state of the United States of America, the District of Columbia, or any of its possessions or territories, or

An entity or organization (including federal, state, or local government of the United States, or a political subdivision thereof) that has a bona fide presence in the United States. See Section B.3.1 of the NeuStar proposal to the Department of Commerce for details concerning what constitutes a "bona fide presence."

Good luck,

-t

Originally posted by thewitt
Just a word of advise - not meaning to be negative here.

If the Registry determines that a name has been registered without conforming to the Nexus requirements, they have every right to simply revoke your registration - no refund...

One of the following eligibility requirements must be met:

A natural person who is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories or whose primary place of domicile is in the United States of America or any of its possessions, or

Any entity or organization that is incorporated within one of the fifty (50) U.S. states, the District of Columbia, or any of the United States possessions or territories or organized or otherwise constituted under the laws of a state of the United States of America, the District of Columbia, or any of its possessions or territories, or

An entity or organization (including federal, state, or local government of the United States, or a political subdivision thereof) that has a bona fide presence in the United States. See Section B.3.1 of the NeuStar proposal to the Department of Commerce for details concerning what constitutes a "bona fide presence."

Good luck,

-t

good post.

Q: If an usa citizen reg'd an .us domain, do they have the ability after a time frame to 'transfer' ownership to a non usa citizen, if the name sold?

didn't know for sure if these 'registration' requirements held firm only to the 'original' registrant.?

Originally posted by WandaMay
Q: If an usa citizen reg'd an .us domain, do they have the ability after a time frame to 'transfer' ownership to a non usa citizen, if the name sold?

didn't know for sure if these 'registration' requirements held firm only to the 'original' registrant.?
The Nexus requirements apply to the current registration, so if the domain is transfered, the new owner needs to meet the Nexus requirements as well.

No one is going to stop the transfer of ownership from taking place, however the new owner risks losing the domain by having the Registry simply revoke it. If you have sold a high value domain in this fashion, I would guess the buyer would be coming back on you for a refund - you better be sure your sales contract is very clear about liability here...

This is not without prescedence. Though these cases don't get a huge amount of press, .ca domains are regularly denied or revoked when the CIRA discovers they are registered in violation of their requirements.

It will be interesting to see what kind of press the .us revokations will get.

-t

The Nexus requirements apply to the current registration, so if the domain is transfered, the new owner needs to meet the Nexus requirements as well.

No one is going to stop the transfer of ownership from taking place, however the new owner risks losing the domain by having the Registry simply revoke it. If you have sold a high value domain in this fashion, I would guess the buyer would be coming back on you for a refund - you better be sure your sales contract is very clear about liability here...

This is not without prescedence. Though these cases don't get a huge amount of press, .ca domains are regularly denied or revoked when the CIRA discovers they are registered in violation of their requirements.

It will be interesting to see what kind of press the .us revokations will get.

-t

That would be 'liveN' on the Edge 4sure..
More like hangN off the edge..

Don't think I'll go that route..

Think I'll market an usa Corporation pkg. wrapp'd up in a domain sale.. if i were selling .us to international's..??

No.. i've not marketed a .us abroad, nor do i own any .us...

but, i have a few select one's in mind, which are still available.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I too am from the UK and got peed off when I found out about the regulations.
I mean we let anyone register .co.uk domains, so they could at least do the same for us.

Anyway, ways of getting round it:

1. If you have a friend/relative in the US, you could put your name at their address.

2. You could have a cheap forwarding address in the US - you would then have a 'corporate' presence and meet the requirements.

3. You could check out a company which might offer to be registrant for your domains. (Risky, as you wouldn't technically be in control).

The first option seems to be the best, if you know someone / have relatives in the US.
Heck - someone here could start up a .US assisted-registration scheme - they could register .US domains on behalf of foreign interests and charge a reasonable fee ($5/$10 a year) for just putting their address - you could have your name c/o at their address.
Good idea?

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"they have every right to simply revoke your registration - no refund... "

Yeah, maybe - but first they have too prove you're not legitimate.
Now you tell me how they wanna find out.
PLUS :
Read the news arcticle i posted in the news forum regarding Nexus policy and you'll see that Neustar don't take that Nexus thing too seriously themselves to say the least - They promote .US heavily to China and expect 1.000.000 China residents to register .US - LOL
So i wouldn't be too worried about the Nexus policy really..:)

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and registered the .us name i wanted anyway, now i'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Bob

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
Nobody ever got anywhere without taking the odd gamble now and then.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bobb,

You wont have a problem, unless someone contests it.

Actually the Nexus requirements and the marketing in China do not conflict at all in my view.

Many Chineese companies - perhaps all serious ones - doing business in the US have a bona-fide US presense and qualify for a .us domain name under the Nexus requirements. I fail to see how this negates the seriousness of meeting Nexus requirements.

-t

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually the Nexus requirements and the marketing in China do not conflict at all in my view.

Many Chineese companies - perhaps all serious ones - doing business in the US have a bona-fide US presense and qualify for a .us domain name under the Nexus requirements. I fail to see how this negates the seriousness of meeting Nexus requirements.

-t

I agree with thewit. The lines are exceptionally blur in today's international trading world. People conduct business today like it was just one market. Travel is no longer a problem. Communications is no longer a problem. Everything now seems borderless. Except for the bludy time zone.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"I fail to see how this negates the seriousness of meeting Nexus requirements. "
You answered it yourself: Even if it's MANY and all serious chinese companies that have a bona-fide in the states - It won't be ONE MILLION of them.
But Neustar officially declared they're expecting and go for that number of chinese registrations.
Well,they can only go for that if
a)They don't take their policy too seriously themselves
or
b)They take it seriously but have plans to fool the chinese,ie sell them .us registrations so they have made money but don't tell them about the policy thing so if a name gets disputed - they don't have to care anyway.
As i don't believe they go for option b), it just leaves - don't take Nexus too seriously.

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree, so wots the point in making up rules, regulations and requirements for something if no one is going to take them seriously? not even the people who write them.

Bob
confused

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They need the money from the 2 billion chinese :laugh:

But seriously, I think this Nexus thing will undermine the value of the domain. Now you not only have to contend with UDRP but also someone claiming they never saw you in LA :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators