Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Verisign cleans up eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmmm...

VeriSign said Friday that it will clean up its domain name auctions on eBay, some of which appear to have violated the Web address registry's stated corporate policies.
VeriSign launched its own eBay store last month when it started providing authentication services to the Internet's most popular auction site through the digital security side of its business.

In the six weeks since the store launched, VeriSign's merchandise had begun featuring Web addresses ending in country-code domains that conflict with the company's ban on registering adult-themed addresses and trademarked names.

Shortly after CNET News.com queried VeriSign about the domain sales, the company pledged to abort them.

"When we created our arrangement with eBay, we set a policy not to endorse or promote the sale of objectionable, inappropriate or trademarked material," said VeriSign representative Brian O'Shaughnessy. "The names of the nature that CNET pointed out are against our policy, and that's why we're taking immediate steps to remove them. We take full responsibility and are taking measure to ensure that this does not happen again."

Unlike top-level domains such as .com, which are approved by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, country-code domains are not regulated, O'Shaughnessy said. As a result, VeriSign is free to resell addresses with those endings.

Country-level domains exist for 244 countries, from Angola to Zimbabwe. VeriSign runs registries for .cc, .bz and .tv, O'Shaughnessy said. He added that the eBay store represents the company's first attempt to sell Web addresses ending in those domains.

As of early Wednesday, the auctions offered numerous adult-themed names and other addresses, including "bbc.cc."

Even VeriSign's auctions of unobjectionable addresses have raised the hackles of some domain-name watchdogs. For sale on the VeriSign site are the cream of the .cc and .bz crop, including "business.cc" and "news.cc." Each of these is priced at $100,000--far higher than the company's usual price of $35 a year for a single Web address.

With its purchase of Network Solutions in 2000, VeriSign became the Internet's most important domain name registry, controlling the .com, .net and .org domains, among others.

The company has faced a tough market recently as domain-name supply has increased with the introduction of dozens of new country-specific names and other generic domains. Meanwhile, demand for Web addresses has slackened along with the rest of the high-tech economy.

Amid these conditions, VeriSign's marketing efforts have drawn complaints and even lawsuits from competitors. On Thursday, the company signed a federal court order that stemmed from a lawsuit filed by rival Go Daddy Software, which accused VeriSign of overly aggressive marketing tactics. With the order, VeriSign agreed to stop sending bogus messages to rivals' customers.

VeriSign also saw a key investment go sour with the closure of plain-language Web address company RealNames.

Domain summit 2024

I must admit their latest ebay auctions look really strange, almost like they are going out of their way to put up potential t/m infringements and generally strange names. I wish they'd stop junking ebay up with garbage, they never get any bids anyway.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
VERISIGN [syn: desperation] :
Having lost all hope; despairing.
Marked by, arising from, or showing despair: the desperate look of hunger; a desperate cry for help.
Reckless or violent because of despair: a desperate criminal.
Undertaken out of extreme urgency or as a last resort: a desperate attempt to save the family business.
Nearly hopeless; critical: a desperate illness; a desperate situation.
Suffering or driven by great need or distress: desperate for recognition.
Extremely intense: felt a desperate urge to tell the truth

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if Microsoft is secretly behind all of this. They don't look nearly so evil now when compared to Verisign! :D

Cheers,
BD

flatt

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised at all. After I say a Verisign auction for "bong.cc" I figured that they have officially lost it. "It" being any sort of self respect to earn a buck. Hopefully they'll clean it up like they say.

wwww

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
also cockrings.cc was listed as a premium domain :D

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
don't lose any sleep over verisign.com selling Cooks, Belize, or any other country code domains. i'm yawning already. verisign.com is just attempting to duplicate the snow-job that register.com pulled off against the gullible and ill-informed with .ws ----- but the times are different now, as those who got burned with their expensive island nation domains soon learned. no one cares about them and no one will type them into a browser.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>VERISIGN [syn: desperation] :

Exactly.

I love watching their stock price tumbling. Sweet revenge.

I just wish they'd got booted off eBay. I'm sick of having to wade past their crap.

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
got a point there, drew, about wading through the annoying me-too domain postings.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I really, really hate verisign. Such a disgraceful company. I hope we see them listed soon at f***edcompany.com

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I search for domain names on Ebay I use the advanced search and exclude the word Verisign. All the Verisign garbage listings disappear.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
When I search for domain names on Ebay I use the advanced search and exclude the word Verisign. All the Verisign garbage listings disappear.

.... and the non-Verisign eBay garbage listings remain ....

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, its a start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators