Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Verisign Plans to Start Selling WLS Pre-Orders NEXT WEEK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just caught this on the Network Solutions website:

http://www.nextregistrationrights.com/

They plan to start selling WLS pre-orders next week. You would have thought the greedy weasels could have at least waited on ICANN to give them a green light in October! :-D

danield

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like how they gave it a groovy name, WLS must be pretty tainted by now!

Great find Duke.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well isn't that the height of stupidity. Icann is busy pleading that no agreement has been reached and you can't get an injunction based on what "might" happen and verisign goes and does that.

The dotster lawyers are going to have a field day with that one.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So will BuyDomains lawyers :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
They plan to start selling WLS pre-orders next week

Where did you read the part about "next week" duke? :huh:

Corwin

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
here s a note i received from directi about the WLS:

Kindly note that we have temporarily DISCONTINUED offering the Domain Name BackOrder Product with effect from NOW. This is being done since a NEW service called as Wait Listing Service [WLS] is about to be introduced from October 11, 2003, which promises the following:

1. Only a single .COM/.NET Domain Name Backorder can be placed, removing fear of somebody else registering the domain name, the moment it is Deleted by the Registry.

2. Once such an Order is listed, your Customer can wait for a domain name to be Deleted and made available within twelve months, with an option to Auto-Renew, if the domain name is still not available for registration within that period.

As implementing WLS, changes all existing Back Order rules. Besides once WLS launches on October 11, 2003, it will nullyfy any Back Order placed between now and 11-Oct-2003.

Thus, now NEW Back Orders can NOT be placed. HOWEVER, if your Customers have already placed BackOrders, then they can continue managing their Back Orders as before -

1. Awaiting for the domain name to be Deleted, so that we can attempt to register a particular domain name

2. Exchange an existing Back Order for another [upto 3 times]

Cheers,

Wait listing service is coming soon it seems!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As our attorney member John Berryhill noted in another thread - they will go forward with the rollout until such time as they are stopped by a court injunction. If opponents are not successful in getting an injunction everything will be in place and presumably launch. If there is an injunction everything that is underway will be stopped in its tracks. The next few weeks will be VERY interesting!

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FoxDale
here s a note i received from directi about the WLS:

Kindly note that we have temporarily DISCONTINUED offering the Domain Name BackOrder Product with effect from NOW. This is being done since a NEW service called as Wait Listing Service [WLS] is about to be introduced from October 11, 2003, which promises the following:

1. Only a single .COM/.NET Domain Name Backorder can be placed, removing fear of somebody else registering the domain name, the moment it is Deleted by the Registry.

2. Once such an Order is listed, your Customer can wait for a domain name to be Deleted and made available within twelve months, with an option to Auto-Renew, if the domain name is still not available for registration within that period.

As implementing WLS, changes all existing Back Order rules. Besides once WLS launches on October 11, 2003, it will nullyfy any Back Order placed between now and 11-Oct-2003.

Thus, now NEW Back Orders can NOT be placed. HOWEVER, if your Customers have already placed BackOrders, then they can continue managing their Back Orders as before -

1. Awaiting for the domain name to be Deleted, so that we can attempt to register a particular domain name

2. Exchange an existing Back Order for another [upto 3 times]

Cheers,

Wait listing service is coming soon it seems!

They haven't completely discontinued backorder. :-D
Try to search a registered name and backorder link still show up.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What ever happened to the Name Store they were using as a roll-out for the WLS order site?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems like its next week now.

Restecpa

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks. And how are they going to avoid WLS pre reg rush??

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Restecpa
Thanks. And how are they going to avoid WLS pre reg rush??

I suspect Verisign may be sending out WLS "Pre-orders" to current domain name holders, to allow them first rights to secure 'extra protection' for their domains. The WLS is targeted to start 11 Oct proper, so this could just be a first wave thing.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 888
It's just like their secondary market program.
http://greatdomains.com/support/smpregistrars.asp
It's already August and their page still says Coming Soon (June 2003)
Of course, this is all a huge Verisign money-making machine as we know. The secondary market program is walking hand-in-hand with the Wait List Service... Secondary Market... Wait List Service... Secondary Market... it's all supposed to be a part of the same cohesive machinery for creating a commerce organism. It eats expiring domains and excretes money into Verisign's pocket from its multiple bung-holes (port1: registry, port2: registrar, port3: namestore).

I don't think they're ignoring programs thoughtlessly... its been held up for a while now for a very particular reason. I'm sure the money that is generated from this vehicle will create more than a sizeable amount of confidence in its stockholders.

~ Nexus

affordablehosting

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey, Guys! I'm selling WLS Pre Pre-orders!

Just sign up with me, and I'll get your preorder in within 500 ms of the opening on pre-orders... Oh wait, Pool.com and BD are gonna beat me. :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by affordablehosting
Just sign up with me, and I'll get your preorder in within 500 ms of the opening on pre-orders...

Strange, I thought Verisign was going to implement a visual verification code for each order you do so that the scripts cannot crash the system with 1,000,000 registration attempts per second? Best timing is probably one every 10 secs if you type like crazy.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So are they selling a "chance" at a WLS slot kind of like the .US round robin system or will the first successful person in when the gates up be the one who gets the slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom