Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Verisign Plans to Start Selling WLS Pre-Orders NEXT WEEK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gmartfin

No it doesn't. Your dead wrong on that point. And that comes straight from snap.

But none of it matters because the injunctions will prevail.:eek:k:

SnapNames has also told me they will not automatically get WLS subscriptions for names with Snaps. They say the current plan would be to l "attempt" to get as many as they can and when they cannot they will give you a WLS subscription in exchange to use for a different domain.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Domainut
Which will drive the value of domains up again

I think that is undoubtedly true. I think we all have to face the fact that the days of cheap but high quality domains are over for good - no matter what happens.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

I think that is undoubtedly true. I think we all have to face the fact that the days of cheap but high quality domains are over for good - no matter what happens.

It is a buyers market now then, BUY BUY BUY......

Originally posted by gmartfin

No it doesn't. Your dead wrong on that point. And that comes straight from snap.

But none of it matters because the injunctions will prevail.:eek:k:

It was just my understanding of it, since it seemed that all names, that myself and everyone here has tried, since the site started accepting preordered subs, has had both a wls and snap on the name. and the good ones that didn't have a wls didn't have a snap. Maybe just a coincidence. Guess I was wrong :wink:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

It is a buyers market now then, BUY BUY BUY......

Why do you think I am BROKE BROKE BROKE?

It was just my understanding of it, since it seemed that all names, that myself and everyone here has tried, since the site started accepting preordered subs, has had both a wls and snap on the name. and the good ones that didn't have a wls didn't have a snap. Maybe just a coincidence. Guess I was wrong :wink:

Perhaps SnapNames is taking Verisign's pre-order lottery tickets on WLS slots for the names they hold (under some special arrangement). That won't give them or anyone else any gaurantee of getting the actual WLS slot. If I buy any WLS pre-order "chances" I will wait and buy them from someone other than Verisign. They will come from someone I trust and will probably be cheaper to boot (and you will have exactly the same chance for success at the actual slot).

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I suspect that people would more readily put their money into snaps instead of pre-ordering anywhere else. This would account for names being taken on massive scales over the last 8 months even years in advance of expiration. However, I do not think this will be the only avenue to acquire great WLS slots and do not think that all good ones will be taken right away. Maybe two weeks or even 1-2 months down the road ....yes without a doubt.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's kind of like a snobwall effect really. If people start realizing all the WLS slots are taken they will either cease to compete and and assume all the good ones are taken or will continue to look for opportunities and buy like crazy. But honestly people have already compiled databases of all the good names they will buy. If you are a niche player all you can do is aim hard for the domains that could benefit you the most.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke .....This whole thing actually opens up an entirely new business opportunity that I will be moving into. I will have it in place when (and if) WLS debuts in late October. If WLS is coming I am going to make it work for me (though not from buying WLS subscriptions). When one door closes another one usually opens. :)

Duke. do you mean offering to buy names by telling the owner someone else has a WLS on it?

Not sure how effective that is since the domain owner can simply renew the name for 10-yrs to get the wls holder to cancel as I am sure no one wants to renew them forever.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

Duke. do you mean offering to buy names by telling the owner someone else has a WLS on it?

Not sure how effective that is since the domain owner can simply renew the name for 10-yrs to get the wls holder to cancel as I am sure no one wants to renew them forever.

No, that's not what I had in mind. In fact I originally heard that part of the WLS plan REQUIRED that current owners be told when a WLS has been taken out on their name. I don't think owners will care if there is a WLS on their name or not since they have control of the name and can determine how it is disposed of.

I personally don't care about WLS subscriptions per se - only that WLS in general will completely change the way this business operates. If it comes into play I intend to take advantage of how business will have to be done in that new environment by going around the WLS. I'm obviously not going to tell the world exactly what I plan to do and how I am going to do it though. :)

One thing I will say is that the days of great names dropping because present owners were oblivious to their value will be over with WLS. I guess it is only fair that the present owners be the ones who reap the benefits from the value in the domains they hold - though it won't be good for the vast majority of people who want to buy domains and sell them for a profit.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess it is only fair that the present owners be the ones who reap the benefits from the value in the domains they hold - though it won't be good for the vast majority of people who want to buy domains and sell them for a profit.
Unless... as it is in many cases, the current owners are so out of touch and have such outdated information in their whois, that even the registrar can't adequately contact them to get them to renew. I think a persistant, motivated, and ingenious reseller can only be *so* much better if the data on a long standing registration is just *bad*. I wouldn't say someone on the phone is ill-equiped to make a difference, but I'd say they were "the underdogs"... :cheeky:

~ Nexus

Restecpa

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This WLS thing can really make you think.. In this world people get killed for a pocket money. You can get shot for only few dollars while certain domains are worth a lot more. So if one gets WLS on such $$$$$$ domain, and its owner suddenly passes away.. Well anybody gets my point? This is scary.. lol ;)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus
Unless... as it is in many cases, the current owners are so out of touch and have such outdated information in their whois, that even the registrar can't adequately contact them to get them to renew. I think a persistant, motivated, and ingenious reseller can only be *so* much better if the data on a long standing registration is just *bad*. I wouldn't say someone on the phone is ill-equiped to make a difference, but I'd say they were "the underdogs"... :cheeky:

~ Nexus

I don't think registrars make ANY effort whatsoever to contact registrants. If an email bounces they are done. Having been a reporter in major market newsrooms for most of my life, I know of very effective ways to track people down that a registrar would never dream of. Outdated information is no problem - if you follow up on it using the right resources that information will lead you to the person. A couple of months ago, after a 6-week search, I found a guy who owned a website our company wanted to buy. He had dropped out of site and cut off all contact with everyone who knew him. I followed some leads and found him in a cheap motel room in Las Vegas where he had decided to drop out of society. We got the website from him as he found out dropping out is not that cheap! :-D

I would bet I have a better than 75% chance of finding anyone who has not spent their entire life living alone in a cave.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Of course they are - in the hundreds of thousands no doubt before the week is up. They will do the same with every other registrar that sells these pre-regs (just a lottery ticket for POSSIBLY getting a WLS slot). Which is why I have said all along that with WLS (after the initial land rush) there will no longer be ANY chance for small players to get a decent domain. I am already planning a new strategy for the WLS world which will involve daily calls to dozens of domain owners prior to expiration of their names. The success rate may only be 1-2% but that will beat the 0% of hoping a WLS will still be available on something good.

I think everyone else in the business will have to do this too, which means many WLS holders will never get a chance to exercise their WLS as the owner will already have been contacted by 30-40 potential buyers.

I (and many others before me and longer than me) have been doing this for the last 2 months..

Its no different than now, in that sense.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus
Unless... as it is in many cases, the current owners are so out of touch and have such outdated information in their whois, that even the registrar can't adequately contact them to get them to renew.

Yup, its a good idea to put WLS slots on companies which appear to have gone bust. I put down 2 WLS slots on both the .com and .net version on a company in which the ISP admin and seems to have gone kaput :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it comes into play I intend to take advantage of how business will have to be done in that new environment by going around the WLS. I'm obviously not going to tell the world exactly what I plan to do and how I am going to do it though. :)

Duke's housecall service! Count me in as your first customer, duke :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by devildude8989

I (and many others before me and longer than me) have been doing this for the last 2 months..

Its no different than now, in that sense.

There will be one ENORMOUS difference between now and when WLS is in place. Now there are dozens of other options to go after deleting names, so the vast majority do not bother with contacting owners. After WLS owner contact will be the ONLY option left so everybody will be contacting them or leaving the game. It will be NOTHING like it is now.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I disagree (with some of what you said).

But lets agree to disagree, since i dont feel like argueing.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right now, I still find it very easy to put snaps on excellent domains that are going to expire 2-3 weeks from now (i.e. that have not yet hit REDEMPTION PERIOD). Of course, most get renewed and the rest generally get missed by SnapNames, but unless the big players ramp up their game enormously when WLS comes out there will still be a certain amount of opportunity available for those willing to take chances (buy 20-30 slots and maybe get one name) and put in the time to do their own research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom