Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Verisign Plans to Start Selling WLS Pre-Orders NEXT WEEK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by clemzonguy
So are they selling a "chance" at a WLS slot kind of like the .US round robin system or will the first successful person in when the gates up be the one who gets the slot?

Nobody is saying anything but "Pre-orders" would suggest a round-robin system is brewing. Also, current domain holders may be given a first right of refusal "sunrise" on their names. Imagine people putting a WLS on Microsoft.com or Yahoo.com - that would be ludicrious and make a mockery out of the system.

Whatever it is, it doesn't look good for BD.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is no possible way that someone could pre-order with every single registrar WLS slots for a round robin system on a massive scale. As I remember with the .US registrations I was beat out on plenty of names b/c people manually registered them. They would most likely have computer systems tied in with an API system using their connections and computer centers to tie up slots. I think about 50% of the snaps will be rolled over into WLS slots since they pretty much know the system. I would say that is an accurate guage of which names will be taken right away as soon as the gates open.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think everyone.net serious about getting slots shouldn't put all their eggs.com in any one basket.

~ Nexus

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So in essence until snapnames stops selling snaps, you are getting both a snap and a WLS. preorder by purchasing directly from SN or a reseller.

Doesn't make sense for taking out preorders at their site, YET!!!!!

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Notice the following:-

"When the service becomes available, you may change your subscription to another domain name up to 3 times within the one year subscription period. For example, if the the current holder renews the domain name you have targeted, you may choose to maintain your Next Registration Rights subscription for that domain name, or you may choose to give up the Next Registration Rights for that domain name and target a different domain name instead. "

In other words, once it's fully operational, you'll only have 3 chances to get a name, unlike the current Snap system where you can try for as many names as you like. I guess that's the price to pay for a 100% success rate!

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes edwin, simply put, the same as snaps.com or any of the other resellers, of SN., with the 100% if it drops it's yours. Hmm, I guess it may be better than going for the reseller $39.99 SN's.

But it won't pass :wink:

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right on. Just ran a check and all my domains with snapback
subscriptions on them also had pre-wls backorders (obviously).

It almost seems like NextRegRights is a SnapNames reseller :laugh:

That would explain the secuirty graphic keys (which snapnames
recently requires for all resellers) as well as the "no guarantee
policy" on wls subscriptions.

Sheva

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainRetriever

thats very good for you, if I understood well, you will get the names 100% if they drop?.

Mike

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sheva

thats very good for you, if I understood well, you will get the names 100% if they drop?.

Mike

Not quite.

If they successfully put a WLS on the name, THEN I will get it
(when it drops).

I still don't understand how a company that controls WLS can
not put a WLS on a domain before anyone else does when
the system goes online.

:huh:

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not quite.
If they successfully put a WLS on the name, THEN I will get it
(when it drops).
I still don't understand how a company that controls WLS can
not put a WLS on a domain before anyone else does when
the system goes online.

:huh:
Easy. Anything can happen though. With so many eyeballs on it, I'm sure people will be aware if SnapNames gets 100% of the prime stock, and if other attempts were blocked, mislead, or what have you. The registry will make the time and day available for everyone. Everyone will continue testing their software the same way SnapNames is testing theirs as the date approaches. All registrars signed up and ready will have the same opportunity as every other. As many drop catchers have noted, ORDER will play a big factor in how successful some will be. If I started with certain names, and someone else started with other names... someone is going to get to certain names before others.

I don't understand how it could be a "block out" in anyway. It's going to be a global scramble for everyone who's smart. I'm SHOCKED eNom will not be participating in this landrush. Well, I am and I'm not.

It would be interesting if Pool decided to play for WLS subs and auction them afterwards. Like eNom though, I can't imagine they'd want to do anything to support WLS, even if it means losing out big on starting a new business model offering.

~ Nexus

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Try charging the system with a script :cheeky:

Dominion

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Well if you just enter https://www.nextregistrationrights.com/search_results.jsp

You get an error page that says (in part)

"The Backorder Purchase application has generated an error while attempting to service your request. The details of the error are printed below.

Likely, the conditions that resulted in this error are temporary. Should you receive this message again, please contact SnapNames customer support at (800) 385-4075. You may wish to print this page to assist the support representative"

A definite link there to Snapnames.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames
Does this mean some heavy hitters are already taking many prime names?

Apparently. My order number was 60000 something. Also, it could be that pre-snapped names by Snapnames.com don't figure.

But please do remember, this is a pre-order, not an actionable claim. If you've been in the heat of the shenanigans of the .info and .biz landrush, you'ld know full well what I mean. So-called ICANN accredited registrars were abusing the system to a level that could only classified as fraud.

It'll be obvious for Verisign not to suggest that they had any special advantages to the WLS system from the frontend point of view. Keep it that way. Hope runs eternal. :eek:k:

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It means that someone has it Snapped at SN, one of the resellers, or there. Supposedly (and it looks that way at present) all current snaps become immediately wls subs.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Domainut
all current snaps become immediately wls subs.

YES. yeS. yEs.

Home run!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames
The very first name I checked already had a wls backorder on it and was unavailable.

Does this mean some heavy hitters are already taking many prime names?

Of course they are - in the hundreds of thousands no doubt before the week is up. They will do the same with every other registrar that sells these pre-regs (just a lottery ticket for POSSIBLY getting a WLS slot). Which is why I have said all along that with WLS (after the initial land rush) there will no longer be ANY chance for small players to get a decent domain. I am already planning a new strategy for the WLS world which will involve daily calls to dozens of domain owners prior to expiration of their names. The success rate may only be 1-2% but that will beat the 0% of hoping a WLS will still be available on something good.

I think everyone else in the business will have to do this too, which means many WLS holders will never get a chance to exercise their WLS as the owner will already have been contacted by 30-40 potential buyers.

This whole thing actually opens up an entirely new business opportunity that I will be moving into. I will have it in place when (and if) WLS debuts in late October. If WLS is coming I am going to make it work for me (though not from buying WLS subscriptions). When one door closes another one usually opens. :)

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Which will drive the value of domains up again, but IMO an injunction will be filed before it launches.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It means that someone has it Snapped at SN, one of the resellers, or there. Supposedly (and it looks that way at present) all current snaps become immediately wls subs.

No it doesn't. Your dead wrong on that point. And that comes straight from snap.

But none of it matters because the injunctions will prevail.:eek:k:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom