Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Was there a Hack/Data Breach at Epik?

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can get behind gambling and would've kept this. But, I can see if you know someone affected by gambling, you might not want it.

People demanding answers right now don't quite understand how multimillion dollar companies work and it shows. If people want answers, only a suggestion as I'm not speaking for Epik or Rob, someone should consolidate all the questions into one post. It might come quicker as there's 140 pages on NamePros with the majority of it being trash posting that needs sifted. However, it might not and it might come when Rob can (don't assume that just because a person is a CEO that they can answer you right away—you often hear "let me get back to you" with an easy question that anyone could answer). But with a consolidated post, it'd be easier to respond than have the same question asked 10 different ways.
It's going to take a some time just to figure out what happened. No point in giving details of what is being done until you're sure it done right.

Domain summit 2024

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought a database of all the winning numbers so you could compare the numbers you were playing might be popular.
Yes but likely "Powerball" is a trademark.

Granted s disclaimer may be a way around it.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's going to take a some time just to figure out what happened. No point in giving details of what is being done until you're sure it done right.
Exactly my thought. People dragging it out on NamePros just want to see Epik burn because of the faulty-sourced Wikipedia description that makes you and I seem like we're the bad guys.

Brad Mugford even said he hasn't had a domain there since around 2014, so I don't know why he'd be virtue signaling so hard to people like me and other Epik customers as if we care as much as he's acting as we should? Our domains are safe. The fact that Epik is growing despite how many pages of negative publicity in that thread should speak volumes. I kind of want to say that they should continue their exhausting effort to unperson Epik as it's looking like it's having the opposite effect...
Yes but likely "Powerball" is a trademark.
Ah, I didn't know that. I thought it was a generic term like lotto.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Exactly my thought. People dragging it out on NamePros just want to see Epik burn because of the faulty-sourced Wikipedia description that makes you and I seem like we're the bad guys.

Brad Mugford even said he hasn't had a domain there since around 2014, so I don't know why he'd be virtue signaling so hard to people like me and other Epik customers as if we care as much as he's acting as we should? Our domains are safe. The fact that Epik is growing despite how many pages of negative publicity in that thread should speak volumes. I kind of want to say that they should continue their exhausting effort to unperson Epik as it's looking like it's having the opposite effect...

I pushed back on the "noble deed" propaganda and was threatened and then censored. One of the "cyber security researchers" compared domain investors to extortionist.

When Johnny Hack joined the thread, the quality went up. Big contrast between an actual pro and the emotional struggle.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I pushed back on the "noble deed" propaganda and was threatened and then censored.
With threats like this, there's no wondering why the thread doesn't have many people posting positive things to say about Epik.
(See my signature for the truth, and an affiliate link to pad my pockets! :p)

Not a lot of people would put their business on the line, just like many fell in line to get vaccinated since their pay or livelihood was up for discussion (and by discussion, it's "my way or the highway").

pentest.JPG

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With threats like this, there's no wondering why the thread doesn't have many people posting positive things to say about Epik.
(See my signature for the truth, and an affiliate link to pad my pockets! :p)

Not a lot of people would put their business on the line, just like many fell in line to get vaccinated since their pay or livelihood was up for discussion (and by discussion, it's "my way or the highway").

View attachment 5582

I thought about responding with humor, then thought it would be lost on the crowd. My post wasn't even to kirtaner, not much you can say after that except I'm surprised his post only got one like.

Everything else is "off topic".

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is some sales data from the leak. All handled by Epik Escrow.

Numerics

795.com - $322,605
494.com - $292,971.41
450.com - 279,971.44
503.com - $275,000
220.com - $275,000

Domains

Sporting.com - $270,000
Productive.com - $182,250
Surround.com - $152,250
Patou.com - $125,000
NewLogic.com - $111,650
TechGearoid.com - $101,490
Crypto-Daily.net - $100,000
ShopeeMall.com - $100,000

Moral of the Story?

The last for 4 domains sales, if true, mean that I should be charging a lot more for my domains with Epik. 😄
These sales still blow my mind. 😮

Level 4
Reaction score
The fact that Epik is growing despite how many pages of negative publicity in that thread should speak volumes.

That's debatable... I've yet to see any cold hard data supporting that claim.

Also... Define growing...

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

They don't want to see Epik burn. They want to see Epik fix their security instead of continuing as if nothing happened.

The fact that someone didn't have domains hosted at Epik is a moot point. I have an account but no domains and my data was exposed. Also many non-customers are impacted because Epik harvests whois data of non-customers as well. See this article: https://arstechnica.com/information...cts-15-million-users-including-non-customers/

Level 4
Reaction score
Brad Mugford even said he hasn't had a domain there since around 2014, so I don't know why he'd be virtue signaling so hard to people like me and other Epik customers as if we care as much as he's acting as we should?

I'd be pissed as well if a company I've never been a customer with leaked my data after 7 years they obtained my data..

Level 4
Reaction score

Reason for asking, all I'm seeing is people leaving the company, domain regs? Numbers posted are down... Just curious what supports this claim/opinion?

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Reason for asking, all I'm seeing is people leaving the company, domain regs? Numbers posted are down... Just curious what supports this claim/opinion?

Unfortunately we will not get any direct answers to questions from anyone representing Epik. Because no answers will look good for the company. They will not own up. Just try to paint a rosy picture. A strategy that is not working.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anybody can see for themselves by tracking domain usage at the registrar.

You see usage higher or lower.

Thus,
Epik is growing despite how many pages of negative publicity

I'd be pissed as well if a company I've never been a customer with leaked my data after 7 years they obtained my data..
What data was leaked? I haven't seen the data so don't know as if anything is included his data. But how he's blowing it out of proportion makes it seem like nobody could ever obtain that information from public records. He have any home purchase, court records, etc.? Its all there. All the data in my account you can grab by going to the State. I just would've liked to keep ownership of 1 domain private, but since it's out, I decided to delete it. That's because although it earned $100-200/yr, it was in a niche that I couldn't promote (and no, not a neo-Nazi name).

Level 4
Reaction score
Unfortunately we will not get any direct answers to questions from anyone representing Epik. Because no answers will look good for the company. They will not own up. Just try to paint a rosy picture. A strategy that is not working.

Which is said basically. There are a lot of claims being made not supported by any verifiable data.

If it's true, more power to them. Data publicly available contradicts the population opinion of DNF users. Not judging, just an observation.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they'll reply in time. You act as if a company that faced this can answer any questions at all. You should know the drill after watching political press conferences delivering horrible news. What's the line? "No comment"—You don't think, after 9/11 say, they couldn't comment on whether a plane hit the towers? We all saw it. But until they know everything, they try to calm while not answering.

I don’t know if this is their strategy, but it's looking like it is. And everyone should be conditioned to this by now because it's every, single, news piece that responds this way.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators