Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Webmastering Skills

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike

Contrary to a popular myth, Webmasters are not all members of some secret cult where they are all instantly imparted with the knowledge of building great websites by the Webmaster Wizard, No!

Great Webmasters have developed SKILLS...The old fashioned way...They LEARNED them!

Discuss HTML, Dreamweaver, Hot Dog, FrontPage, Coffee Cup, HomeSite, etc. here!

Domain summit 2024
D

DaniilKharms

My favourite is HotDog, although they do not seem to have developed it much due to upheavels within the compnay. I am not too happy with their CSS section though. Anyone have any other favourites? I certainly don't believe in hand coding, why bother when you have good programs that make it a lot easier and allow you to code manually if required.

for easy domain based sites, i find a php/mysql to be a godsend. using dreamweaver and fireworks makes it fast and easy to put together dynamic sites that pull in the domain name into the layout. the mysql database can then determine certain attributes of the page, like is it for sale, does it have free email etc.

also, using mod_gzip on the (*nix) server can reduce bandwidth usage for html to 10% - making pages load faster and reducing hosting bills if the site is heavy on traffic.

LarryWentz

Sasquatch Researchin' Pool Hall Junkie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been using Frontpage but currently am capable of designing the most basic of sites. However - even very basic sites can be very productive as my results have shown. The verbage you use on your site is more important than the prettiness of the site IMO. I think many people are frightened (as I was) when it comes to designing sites. The reality is that if you can use Microsoft WORD then you can operate software like Frontpage or Dreamweaver. Take the leap and get yourself some web design software and start learning. It's a very rewarding experience developing a site especially when you earn your first dollar on it!

Larry Wentz
"Make Money with Affiliate Networks!"
http://www.AffiliateNetwork.org

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My Top 3 tools for non-webdesigners like me:

1.Swish
2.TheLogoCreator V2.5
3.Sothink Glanda

All three are just amazing tools especially if you're not too familiar with webdesign.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know webdesigners that would not be able to produce the same quality as you can yerself by using mentioned tools.Timechange of course is an exception...:)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Webmastering is a very interesting area. I've been using MS FrontPage since 1998, and I've seen how FP has transformed itself. It's absolutely the best tool for those who don't rely on Flash sites and aren't into geek torture.

FP gets a sophisticated job done like a rabbit in heat.

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Great Webmasters have developed SKILLS...The old fashioned way...They LEARNED them!
I disagree. What constitutes a good webmaster is how popular (s)he can make his site. And last time I checked, visitors do not wander sites for there designs. But rather for there content. Be it entertainment, information, or some other service.

If you have a clean, professional design. Sure its great. But why should I put you in an elite class higher then other webmasters?
Being able to use several programs, and knowing plenty of coding languages is called being a great Coder/Designer.
Not necessarily a great webmaster.

There's other key elements that you need to pocess, then just having some fancy Flash intro.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MC Juice

What constitutes a good webmaster is how popular (s)he can make his site.

Well summated. That remark hit me like a nail on the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators