Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Weekly DNF Live Auctions? (w/ quality domains)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
We have tried ...the turnout is poor.

Chuck

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for when we did this years ago but each time maybe one or two sales would happen at the most because all members would list was their junk. Therefore, we need to really consider before we jump in and try to do this again. That being said, I am in favor of it however :)

SeatBeltPads.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think we have enough ppl here to be able to contact some other industry domainers that dont regularily visit the boards, but if we can compile a list of 20-30 quality domain offerings each week - it could draw the bidders. and live auctions are fun! I've bought some crazy gems at another boards live auctions - but I know there different users here that deal exclusively with dnf .

Yusio

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Honestly, most people that put their names up for auction list them here anyway, so if someone was interested they can just contact them regarding their post. So i find live auctions to be pointless.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It is pointless when there isn't outside interest. The point of live auctions is to advertise not just in the forum, but in other places. That way it attracts resellers/end users to come to the forum to participate in the auctions.

Yusio

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is pointless when there isn't outside interest. The point of live auctions is to advertise not just in the forum, but in other places. That way it attracts resellers/end users to come to the forum to participate in the auctions.

And outside interest costs money to advertise for, so this idea isn't that great..:rolleyes:

SeatBeltPads.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Yeah why cant we do that - also if all members got email alerts before auctions with whats going to be listed - those who dont come on all the time may want to - also I dont see every domain in every thread - so if a well filtered list of quality domains where up for grabs - it would work. Wht cant DNF get outside/enduser interest - if we market/target them.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah why cant we do that - also if all members got email alerts before auctions with whats going to be listed - those who dont come on all the time may want to - also I dont see every domain in every thread - so if a well filtered list of quality domains where up for grabs - it would work. Wht cant DNF get outside/enduser interest - if we market/target them.

There needs to be interest from forum management in order to advertise/sponsor auction. One member is not going to be able to run a successful auction.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will do it again if I get help. Since we have new admin guy here (Chuck), he may be able to help me to promote the auction.

Everything is fine except the number of members show up is low and many members are not even aware of the auction (after the third one!).

John

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
John,

Good to hear. I know you are commited 100% to making this auction work.

Chuck

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure, I think we should give it a try. We'll work out some details and see if we can make it happen.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.dnforum.com/f31/chat-room-live-auction-september-3rd-thread-319735.html

The format and submission are working fine - we have to do a lot of manual works (would be nice if we have a script to automate the process).

Some how we need to promote the event: banner, announcement, etc....
It would be sad if we have 3/4 people work so hard and spend many hours to come to the auction to see 20 members!

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thx Johnn :yo:

Chuck

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.dnforum.com/f31/chat-room-live-auction-september-3rd-thread-319735.html

The format and submission are working fine - we have to do a lot of manual works (would be nice if we have a script to automate the process).

Some how we need to promote the event: banner, announcement, etc....
It would be sad if we have 3/4 people work so hard and spend many hours to come to the auction to see 20 members!

I'm going to see about getting it automated so it's easier for everyone involved. :yes:

SeatBeltPads.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
in terms of promotion - within the site atleast - can we promote it through not just a thread but perhaps site-wide banners or like a countdown clock on the home page to let users know...and perhaps an email to all members (active or non) saying something to the effect; "dnf is having an auction fool! be there!" or whatever works :p

Also I think quality of domains is key - perhaps instead of a listing fee, we can filter only the most quality yet keeping a wide range - and user gives a brokerage percentage to dnf.

and thanks to admin for giving this a try...

BTW before promotion - I think its key that we compile a quality list of auction offerings to list in the promotion ads, emails to entice people to show - I mean if they assume theres gunna be crap they wont come, but knowing there will be a nice mix of real quality domains - and we got a hit. Also we should have diff options like "sellers choice", "reserve" and "no reserve" so sellers feel safe also or not letting go too low.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom