Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Well over 30% of Domain Appraisal requests unanswered

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvandemar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Out of boredom I did a search the other day, and sorted it by number of replies. Turns out that just over 30% of the requests for domain appraisals never get a single reply, ever. Toss in the number of people who bump the thread a few days later, giving them 1 reply but them still being the only poster, and you could very well be in the 40%-45% range of unanswered requests.

Considering that the Domain Appraisals is probably one of the biggest draws to getting people in as Gold members I found this surprising. Just thought I'd mention it.

-Michael

Upvote 0

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Appraisal threads with no responses usually means they aren't valuable...

If you see a nice name wanting an appraisal, naturally you wanna give your thoughts on the name.

Domain Summit 2024

mvandemar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That would almost be believable... if it weren't for all of the "reg fee" or "$0" or "worthless" replies that exist. In light of those your answer doesn't really make sense, does it?

-Michael

Stinos

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed, if you don't receive any appraisels, you can assume for 90 procent sure that your domain is worth reg fee. If you bump it and nobody replies, 99 sure reg fee :)

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That would almost be believable... if it weren't for all of the "reg fee" or "$0" or "worthless" replies that exist. In light of those your answer doesn't really make sense, does it?

-Michael

members just haven't taken the time to post "reg fee" and "$0" and what not..

Stinos

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

-Michael

I also make a lot of reg fee replies, I just don't reply in every single thread. When i'm in the mood to do some appraisals. I'll reply to a lot of threads, also the reg fees. But if i'm not in the mood, I only reply on the good names.

mvandemar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, not to be argumentative, but just to be clear, in y'alls opinion, these domains here are completely worthless:

artificial-intelligence.org
iphonetricks.com
cardiachealth.org
NewYorkPlaneTickets.com
RealestateWebsites.in
used-car.org
travelassociation.org
cheapetickets.org
licenseddaycareservice.com
flowerpower.org
ppcjunction.com

Not asking for appraisals (so please don't, they're not my domains :cheesy:), just trying to see where you guys are coming from with this.

-Michael

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most of those wouldn't be much more then reg fee.

Keep in mind giving an appraisal requires effort to give an accurate appraisal. Sometimes you just can't be bothered.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
members just haven't taken the time to post "reg fee" and "$0" and what not..
Exactly, besides the added value of such posts is low.
Lack of response is a response in itself. It usually means the name is not valuable enough to warrant an appraisal.

And often it's not worth bothering to justifying why the name is worth nil - after all newbies need a learning curve :cool:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Out of boredom I did a search the other day, and sorted it by number of replies. Turns out that just over 30% of the requests for domain appraisals never get a single reply, ever. Toss in the number of people who bump the thread a few days later, giving them 1 reply but them still being the only poster, and you could very well be in the 40%-45% range of unanswered requests.

Considering that the Domain Appraisals is probably one of the biggest draws to getting people in as Gold members I found this surprising. Just thought I'd mention it.

-Michael

well, there is a lot of junk names there and some good one's too

often you will see a name get lots of replies, just because of it's title, but the name may be worthless

Appraisal threads with no responses usually means they aren't valuable...

If you see a nice name wanting an appraisal, naturally you wanna give your thoughts on the name.

i've posted names that i know have value, and bumped a few...then got an appraisal of "reg-fee".

but after i put in the revenue...then opinions changed

Ok, not to be argumentative, but just to be clear, in y'alls opinion, these domains here are completely worthless:

artificial-intelligence.org
iphonetricks.com
cardiachealth.org
NewYorkPlaneTickets.com
RealestateWebsites.in
used-car.org
travelassociation.org
cheapetickets.org
licenseddaycareservice.com
flowerpower.org
ppcjunction.com

Not asking for appraisals (so please don't, they're not my domains :cheesy:), just trying to see where you guys are coming from with this.

-Michael

one of those domains in that list is mine ;)

gingeman

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think one of the key things is people don't list enough if the name has traffic/revenue, etc or a particularly obscure, but valuable use. The more information the poster gives when requesting an appraisal, the more likely people will give an accurate response. Agree with everyone else though- 99% of the time nobody replies its because the name has little value, its just another name with 'brandable potential' and sometimes its just not worth your time to argue with a new member when you've just crushed their dreams of becoming a millionaire. I have been neg repped on dp for giving a reg-fee appraisal and to be honest similar angry responses here and on other forums have meant I can rarely be bothered now...

i'll chip over there (appraisals) anyway and see if I can help a few out now!

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The dilemma:

People who know/understand the value of the name do not need appraisal.

People who do not know/understand the value of the name most likely have crappy names but they refuse to accept the fact that they are crappy name.

The beauty/price is in the eye of the beholder/buyer.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggie's intention is to surprise you with the revenue some of his domains are generating ;)

partly true, but first i like to get your real opinion of the name....

before i bust out the stats :)

you'd have to admit that some have been "eye" openers :eek:

many appraise by the same old standards

length
hyphens or not
premium letters / guides
or some bot bs
etc. etc.

and no one really knows what a domain will sell for, unless they make the owner a great offer.

imo

mvandemar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Plus there's no standardization, and pretty much anybody can toss in their opinions, informed or not.

I know, it's tough... newbies can be rude, and there is some effort that goes into any meaningful appraisal. I mean, you have to know the market the domain name relates to for one, and the relative availability of similar names, imo. Try finding available .com color/animal combo names, for instance, or anything decent with the phrases html or mortgage in them.

I've gotten reg fee or less appraisals on a domain that was almost identical in structure and market to one that I had a $20k offer on.

Isn't there any kind of scoring system that can be automated and accurate? Maybe not something that will give a bottom dollar value, but some sort of meaningful metric that those who know how to read it can interpret?

If not, then what factors can't be automated?

-Michael

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isn't there any kind of scoring system that can be automated and accurate? Maybe not something that will give a bottom dollar value, but some sort of meaningful metric that those who know how to read it can interpret?

If not, then what factors can't be automated?

-Michael

even if there was, it would always be subjective to who interprets the results.

the one thing that you DON't want in this biz is "standardization", as that's what some are trying to do

mvandemar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
even if there was, it would always be subjective to who interprets the results.

Of course. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be worthwhile. Bottom line is it is always worth what someone else will pay, period. Should still be a way to assist getting some serious educated guesses to the range anyways.

the one thing that you DON't want in this biz is "standardization", as that's what some are trying to do

Not sure I follow. I'm not talking about instituting something where everyone is lorded over by a team of Domain Dominatrices, and they get whipped if they don't appraise using the same standards... but there should be some form of logic being used... and if it's logic, then there should be some applicable rules that anyone could apply to get an educated guess. I'm not saying that everyone using the same set of rules will always get the same answer, either.

-Michael

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Funny, you made 30% of your total posts in this thread, although you've been a member since May 2005.

mvandemar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Funny, you made 30% of your total posts in this thread, although you've been a member since May 2005.

That's true, but only because I forgot I had signed up. :)

My first post was just a few days ago.

-Michael

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
My point exactly. Some people forget to post appraisals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom