Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Well over 30% of Domain Appraisal requests unanswered

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvandemar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Out of boredom I did a search the other day, and sorted it by number of replies. Turns out that just over 30% of the requests for domain appraisals never get a single reply, ever. Toss in the number of people who bump the thread a few days later, giving them 1 reply but them still being the only poster, and you could very well be in the 40%-45% range of unanswered requests.

Considering that the Domain Appraisals is probably one of the biggest draws to getting people in as Gold members I found this surprising. Just thought I'd mention it.

-Michael

Upvote 0
Domain Summit 2024

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tired of giving appraisals. Most don't want the truth or

truth.jpg

can't handle the truth.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Let me break it down for ya.

You've made 17 posts in 2 1/2 years, a third of which today. And all you do is complain about why people don't respond to appraisals.

I find this to be extremely ironic.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Frankly, the soft side of me comes out every now and then and I refrain from laughing myself silly and just pass on it.

Actually, I find a lot of appraisals are set ups to something else.

How much is this worth?

$XXX

HA! show you what you know. I just sold it for $XXXX.

Or people are testing the waters. They have no idea what it is worth. It basically boils down to do you want me to buy it for what I think it is worth? Or do you want me to sell it for you.

Case in point (actually two):

Not too long ago there was an appraisal thread where one of the members said all the appraisals were crazy as no one was willing to pay what they were appraising it at. The member said we needed to write a check for the appraisal amount in order to the appraisal to be valid.

Then the other night someone was taking offers on an LL.com. Super name. I went $35K knowing full well it was worth a minimum of $150K (for just about any LL.com). But with this being repeating letters, it was worth at least twice that.

I just purchased a $3,500.00 piece of antique southern pottery for $175.00. I have no doubt it is worth $3,500.00. Now I need to decide whether to keep it or send it to auction where it will fetch in the neighborhood of $2,500.00 easily. If the right buyers are there or on-line it may well bring more than $4,000.00. So it is a matter of finding the right buyer (end user). In everything.

But when you get right down to it, appraisals and sales records are bogus and outdated as soon as they come out. It is simply used for trending and for guidance. It is what someone is willing to pay for it. And perhaps domains are not too differently treated. Looking back, we can easily see the ups and downs of domains and extensions. Some make sense, some not.

Markets are swinging all the time from extreme to extreme. The US dollar has fallen dramatically vs. the Euro and the GBP. So a domain appraised at $25K is nice but it is only about 13K GBP which may make it even more appealing to those that do business in GBP.

So I view all appraisal threads with suspicion and have now avoided most.

And looking at the names you included, I would have to wonder WHY on some of them.

garptrader

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Turns out that just over 30% of the requests for domain appraisals never get a single reply, ever. Toss in the number of people who bump the thread a few days later, giving them 1 reply but them still being the only poster, and you could very well be in the 40%-45% range of unanswered requests.

Domain valuation is very subjective. I see numerous domain sales on SEDO for several hundred to over a thousand dollars that don't have meaningful traffic and the phrase isn't terribly common. I even recall seeing a five-figure sale at a Moniker auction that wasn't even a common phrase. Why was the buyer willing to pay that much for that domain? Who knows.

I once submitted an appraisal request on DNF for a domain and received no response but I have received separate offers on SEDO and Afternic for that domain. One of those offers was generated with a little effort. I typed in the domain phrase into the search browser and looked for companies who appeared in the first few pages which had a so-so domain name. I looked up the contact info on WhoIs for several such companies, mentioned my domain was available, the monthly traffic and the Google PPC rate. Within fifteen hours of sending my five emails I had a $300 offer. I did not accept but obviously someone agreed the domain has a value.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I give my honest, expert appraisal on domains that catch my eye, or these that appear to be controversial. I don't do that out of obligation or under pressure. But if that means taking over the remaining 30% of the appraisals forum - heck, I will do it :D

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree the appraisal board doesn't get enough "seasoned" input from the regular gurus. It's something we should maintain in order to keep the learning process going. I posted distillation.com the other day. A really good name, not a single reply. I was just curious what my peers thought, but already had my value in mind. There is no way to really value a domain...It ends up being what a person is willing pay, period.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree the appraisal board doesn't get enough "seasoned" input from the regular gurus. It's something we should maintain in order to keep the learning process going. I posted distillation.com the other day. A really good name, not a single reply. I was just curious what my peers thought, but already had my value in mind.
I think a lot will also have to be when (time, date, time zone) it is posted.

I come on and only check unread posts. I do not go to a certain section. If it is buried then it dies.

mvandemar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let me break it down for ya.

You've made 17 posts in 2 1/2 years, a third of which today. And all you do is complain about why people don't respond to appraisals.

I find this to be extremely ironic.

You're shitting me, right? That's your honest assessment of what I posted?

-Michael

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I call them as I see them.

mvandemar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I call them as I see them.

Kinda lame, if you ask me. I make a single observation from a marketing perspective, and not only do you translate that into "complaining", you ease that over into being "all I do".

Whatever. :)

Peace.

-Michael

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
But it's obvious!

You've been here for 2 1/2 years and made zip posts. Where are *your* appraisals if you complain so much about it?

mvandemar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But it's obvious!

You've been here for 2 1/2 years and made zip posts. Where are *your* appraisals if you complain so much about it?

Dude, wtf? Are you drunk?

First off, what is your obsession with my signup date? I have not "been here" for two and a half years. I signed up 2.5 years ago and never came back. There is zero difference between that and me signing up 4 days ago.

Secondly, I never billed myself as an expert domain appraiser, why would you expect me to be giving appraisals?

Are you like, feeling insecure, or some such? You think the statistics I posted were a personal attack on your libido? Are there certain meds you forgot today...?

Chill.

-Michael

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
God, what an assclown :D

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But it's obvious!

it's not the point of the thread, so why try to make it an issue?

the OP simply stated an observation

that observation has nothing to with how many previous post they have made.

layoff!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score

I am not in the military anymore, Don. I can express my own opinion and stand by it. When a hypocritical post is made, I think it deserves a counter-point.

Ten-hut!

that observation has nothing to with how many previous post they have made.

And you failed to appreciate my observation as well. The OP complained about not seeing enough appraisals. For a guy with 10 posts in 2 1/2 years at the time this thread was started, I found it comical, ironic, an oxymoron.

End of story. Back to appraisals.

mvandemar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The OP complained about not seeing enough appraisals.

That's just it though... I didn't complain about anything. It's like claiming your mechanic is bitching about your driving skills when he tells you that you might want to change your oil. One just does not naturally follow from the other to normal people's thinking.

-Michael

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I promise you I will do more appraisals in the future. Hopefully you won't post much in the next 2 1/2 years as well.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Acroplex. It is hypocritical to comment/complain about the number of appraisals when the majority of your posts are in this thread. Maybe you should be a part of the solution not the problem/be the change in the world you want to see etc...

I think the reason for a low amount of appraisals is people are too busy, there is not enough incentive to give an appraisal, some domains need some background info. Also if a domain is easy to appraise most people won't bother posting it for appraisal.

Recently I posted an Estonian word domain for appraisal. This was a great keyword that would be easy to appraise in English. I got only one response here and on another forum. Of course not many people were able to appraise a foreign word. I posted it for appraisal because it was hard for me to come up with a value and also curious to see some opinions on the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom