Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What do you do when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlomrx

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I contacted a company about selling them a domain (short polite email) and they responded in saying that they weren't interested, but that they wanted to know the price. They also own the same name in other extensions. Does this mean that they just want to get a relative value for their domains, or that they might be interested, and if you have any tips on a response, I would love to hear them.

By the way, I just want to dump the domain so anything above the reg fee would be a blessing for me.

Thanks a lot

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Probably a speculator wanting a baseline for his own domains.

For instance, if you're selling your .com for $500, there's no way he can sell his for more than that.

carlomrx

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks RJ, that's kind of what I was thinking too. The only thing I'm not too sure of is the fact that this company also owns the same name in about four or five other tlds. I told them what I wanted and they said they'd get back to me, so we'll see.

But it's about time some sales were made around here so let's hope for the best.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Four or five other TLD's? Any development on them?

carlomrx

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah they all point to the same site. a dutch hosting company that appears to be rather small in size. the only thing is that I have the .us extension (guilty of RWI). There is also another european company that is using the same name with a different extension, so maybe my ability to choose really bad names might just pay off in the long run. ;)

P

prasit

i'm about to ask what extension you own. .us doesn't have much value now. they might buy it if it's real cheap e.g. less than $100.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by carlomrx
Hi everyone,

I contacted a company about selling them a domain (short polite email) and they responded in saying that they weren't interested, but that they wanted to know the price. They also own the same name in other extensions. Does this mean that they just want to get a relative value for their domains, or that they might be interested, and if you have any tips on a response, I would love to hear them.

By the way, I just want to dump the domain so anything above the reg fee would be a blessing for me.

Thanks a lot

It would help to know if their domains are active or for sale, but here are some possibilities:

1. They are interested if the price is right.

2. They want to know for valuation of the domain to value theirs

3. The company "isn't interested", but the person you talked to might be to then resell it to the company or some other personal use related to their employer.

4. They want evidence that you are trying to ask more than reg fees and especially high fees. If they think they have a legitimate trademark case, this can help prove you as a "domain cybersquatter" rather than an speculator in a domain dispute filing case.

If you just want to dump without potential liability, offer for less than the cost of filing a dispute. If trademark isn't an issue, they may have some interest.

hanogl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What may be the issue here is that European companies cannot own .US names.

Hans

carlomrx

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks Hans, I was worried about that myself. Does anyone know if there are any loopholes around this? can I lease them the domain name? Or is it simply hopeless and a waste of time thinking about this? And thanks to everyone for the constructive input, I really appreciate it.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"European companies cannot own .US names"
Wrong.
Sure they can.
You might wanna reread the .us policy terms again.

hanogl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The official FAQ very clearly states you need a US presence:

Who can register a .US domain name?
Any U.S. citizen or resident, as well as any business or organization, including federal, state, and local government with a bona fide presence in the United States can register a .US domain name.

One of the following eligibility requirements must be met:

A natural person (i) who is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories or (ii) whose primary place of domicile is in the United States of America or any of its possessions, or

Any entity or organization that is incorporated within one of the fifty (50) U.S. states, the District of Columbia, or any of the United States possessions or territories or (ii) organized or otherwise constituted under the laws of a state of the United States of America, the District of Columbia, or any of its possessions or territories, or

An entity or organization (including federal, state, or local government of the United States, or a political subdivision thereof) that has a bona fide presence in the United States. See Section B.3.1 of the NeuStar proposal to the Department of Commerce for details concerning what constitutes a “bona fide presence.“

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stop double poisting, mongroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators