Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What domains / extensions are you dumping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Given the flood of new gtlds coming, and the options it will give new domain buyers and end users, I've not been renewing most of my .mobi, .info, .biz and other similar extensions. Even though I have some decent keyword domains in these extensions (still <10% of my overall portfolio), I think there will be too much choice soon, and it will involve too long a hold/renewal cycle period to be worth holding for any (likely small) price I'd get IF an eventual buyer showed up. In the past, these extensions were possible options for people if the .com and other top extensions were taken, now they will become just a tiny piece of a huge selection. I am still holding a few very good keywords, or ones that get some traffic, but otherwise I'm sticking to holding my best .com and .ca domains only.

Are the coming gtlds getting you to drop some domains / extensions you've been holding onto?

Domain Summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
when .mobi was being hyped, I did not drop any .info

when .pw, was being hyped, I did not drop any .biz

and while the gtlds are being hyped, I won't drop any .us

I just, don't believe the hype :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ditching .biz/.mobi sounds like common sense to me. But I don't have any.
I am not much concerned about new TLDs. However keep in mind that registrars cannot suggest 500 different TLDs on their home page. There will always be a dozen 'default' extensions.
The choice that will be presented to customers will not be infinite, unless they bother to look at the whole menu :)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They say these new gtlds will get huge promotion, but ones like .biz and .info have been on most registrars domain search list for many years, and still haven't got much traction. I guess the new gtld promotion will be in media ads, but people regging domains have seen other gtld options for a long time, without massive growth or acceptance.

Will there be enough new companies and businesses using new gtlds to make them mainstream? Because most existing companies with urls probably won't change their domain. Extensions like .co and .me get used by the odd startup, but are nowhere near mainstream.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They say these new gtlds will get huge promotion,

if you ignore the promo's, you'll be fine

and that's really the hardest part

why?

because they'll put the enticing keywords out as bait

then when you see a few "nibblers"....and maybe a couple of the "celeb domainers"" will get a few and blog it

after that....you'll start feeling like you're missing out on a land grab.

it's more a mind game than anything

for sure, domainers are going to buy, but how accepting will the general public be?

cue jeopardy music

imo....

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I saw the first 7 gtlds getting released by Donuts, and wouldn't reg anything in those.

.bike
.clothing
.guru
.holdings
.plumbing
.singles
.ventures

Each probably has a limited set of great keywords you could get, like a city name with .plumbing (e.g.: NewYork.plumbing), or something like Date.singles, but those will be taken up fast and then there's nothing of value. Many of these gtld's are narrow category words and don't fit with universal keywords.

Types of names I would hand reg are Travel.web or Chicago.homes, but I wonder how easy those would be to get in a sunrise or landrush with all the competition for them. And if most of these great keyword.gtld's get taken up by domain investors, we are back to seeing the best quality domains parked in the aftermarket, and haven't really widened the pool for the small business guy and domain buyers of the future.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didn't bother to register a .mobi, I have some keyword .info and .biz, I'll keep them for marketing purposes.

Right now, I have no plans for new gLTDs including the new 7 extension from donuts.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if most of these great keyword.gtld's get taken up by domain investors, we are back to seeing the best quality domains parked in the aftermarket, and haven't really widened the pool for the small business guy and domain buyers of the future.

remember the .cm release and what dude tried to do with it?

well, those "investors" who got their own gtld's, will no doubt, try the same thing first.....before releasing the rest to the general public.

which will make the pool the same size for those gtld's, as it is now for .com

imo...

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks like you can add these to the donuts listing above.

.camera
.lighting
.voyage
.equipment

'Voyage' in french is the same as 'Travel' in english, will be interesting to see if it gets used for french online travel sites.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure registry/registrar will make a tons of money.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks like you can add these to the donuts listing above.

.camera
.lighting
.voyage
.equipment

'Voyage' in french is the same as 'Travel' in english, will be interesting to see if it gets used for french online travel sites.

the funny part is, many of those gtlds may get typed-in, incorrectly

Scorpiono

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure at this point if I did right by spending $1k on these new domains by pre-registering some or not. Chances are I'll get refunded for most since they're popular. Anyone else in my spot? I'm pretty much biting my nails right now hoping for the best.

Puckerhuddle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm only in a few extensions now .com, .ca one .org and a hand full of .info where they make sense. I've dumped .info where I held the .com and added a few new .info for an experimental foray into the development side of things.

domainbartender

Your name server since 2008.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm stacking up on .infos, dumping .biz. But it has nothing to do with the new tlds coming out. Just market trends.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I started dumping .us and .biz long ago, I didn't have many of either type, thank God. And I had almost no .mobi names. My last hope was .info for the "failed" exts, dumping those really hurt since I had paid big bucks for the LLL.info's back in the day, and for the NNN.info's too but those I'm keeping for now. Not even hot dictionary words sold well (or sold at all) in .info, if that does not make it a FAILED EXTENSION by now I don't know what does. I agree .info makes sense sometimes for certain terms but don't expect to sell them that easily and when they get sold you won't get much

As to poor, much-maligned .co I didn't prereg that many but I'm keeping some. Some I sold well early on (right after the July 2010 hoopla) but others I had to let go, no buyers anywhere. That's one ext I did like and had high hopes for, I even agreed with some who wrote it would overtake .net as the 2nd most popular ext. Luckily I had no money left to reg or buy any more .co names once they became available. And don't forget .co, while it became a gTLD, it is still Colombia's ccTLD, so Spanish words in that ext may sell OK with the right buyers. And that country is now the 2nd largest in So America after Brazil, it's not Argentina anymore (in terms of pop size) ......and isn't it amazing that even for people who stuck to com, net and org (as safe as it could get) it was still possible to lose so much money ?....:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom