• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

What is your domain strategy? (i don't have one...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmac17

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2003
Messages
320
Reaction score
0
I'd be interested to hear your strategy for your names...obviously not specifics, but top level strategies. I myself love domains but have no formal strategy, which is a mistake.

I pretty much hold all of my names and buy new ones, but I know I'm probably missing the boat by not selling off some of my names and upgrading. I plan on developing many of them, but there are only so many hours in the day. I'd much rather have a few more premium names than 450 decent names, 25 very good names and 2 great names.

so, besides buy low sell high - do you have a set strategy?
For example..

- keep turning over portfolio as long as I'm making $$$
- Traffic names and hold
- specific niches only
- Buy as many as I can and see what sticks
- Develop
 
Im scaling my portfolio down and are going to concentrate on development on the better domains i have ! less domains and more quality ids the best place to go ! ive even let some of my not so good domains drop including one i bought from here for $60 a few months ago!
 
When I first got into the business I had no cash so obviously regged and developing was the road I took. Now i've had multiple $x,xxx sales of thoes names that I hand-regged and spent a year developing.

Starting to get into "Catching" and "Bidding" domains, then resell to the company who let them accidently drop for $x,xxx.

I love this game! :D
 
Buy, register and develop.
 
Buy & develop. Keep the ones with long term potential, sell off others.
 
Sell ones which you have no intentions of developing.
 
- diversify your investment, but if you must invest in only one TLD it should be .com
- invest in market niches/industries that you are familiar with
- gear for quality, not quantity
- take advantage of parking for revenue and traffic trends
- stay on top of the trends, read the forums
- register domains that you know you can develop if they do not sell (in other words, do not reg names that you would not consider using as an end user)
- keep track of your budget (registration costs & maintenance vs revenue from parking and domain sales)
 
Buy and develop is always the plan. But too many names and too little time..
I also still have many domains that are worth zero to anyone else, but I won't let them drop because of "sentimental value" :-) eg. I think they are great names but no-one else does...LOL
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom