Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed What websites do you use for automatic appraisal? Which ones do you trust?

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are making it too personal, people.. Flaming, not adding value to the thread
If you read the original post and visit the front page of www.DomainAppraisal.org you will see endorsement from Marc Ostrofsky, author of Top 10 NY Times Bestseller on how to make money on the web, someone who made millions in this industry.
Q: What websites do you use for automatic appraisal?
A: None

Q:Which ones do you trust?
A: None

The only thing that site offers that is different from doing the work yourself (or posting for appraisals here) is you get a PDF report.

I'll provide a PDF report for any appraisal for half of their fee of $149.99.

That's right - I'll give you a PDF appraisal for $74.99

I dare anyone to undersell me.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am a good friend of Marc Ostrofsky and a fan of his book. He does not put any value into automated appraisals.
If you read his book, which I have a copy of, you would know this.

-=DCG=-

after all that's been said here, i'm wondering why pav keeps linking to that .org appraisal site?

BTW:
Marc will be on The View Today

http://theview.abc.go.com/

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
after all that's been said here, i'm wondering why pav keeps linking to that .org appraisal site?

Think you are correct Biggie. Pav is spamming a site he has some sort of interest in. Fess up Pav. What a waste.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Smart - hidden behind privacy protection.

Yeah, good luck getting that, They mention 100% money free guarantee if domain doesn't sell within 12% of appraisal value.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yet they don't offer brokerage services. It would be cool if they could sell the domains they appraise at even 12% of appraisal value.

pav

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Shame on you people.. You are so fast to judge - typical! I have no affiliation whatsoever with that website and was only asking for your opinion. I do like the design though, but only wondered about the website because it's listed here: http://www.domaining.com/directory/domain-appraisal/

Or do you all not trust what's on Domaning.com and in their network as well? I am quite new, so enlighten me if there is something I should know. I will take it with a grain of salt though - not obliged to believe what someone says on the forum and forcing my opinion on anyone... Advice: buy SherlockHolmesFail.com for yourself :) and keep your bitterness

If someone is really friends with Marc - please ask if he has actually said that phrase about that appraisal website. If not - he may request removal. But my guess would be - Marc may have interest in them and Doc Com is right about "... how to make money on the web -> ...charge $149.99 for an appraisal. "

P.S. I really doubt you can produce a decent PDF with that many criterias for whatever prices you quoted. That site does look like they have created a great product.. I believe machines can do a lot of work for humans faster and better, otherwise we would still be in the stone age... Tools, people, tools!! Cheers!
P.P.S. You may keep on bashing newbies here, from now on I will simply ignore any unintelligent remarks or personal attacks. Peace out!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
P.S. I really doubt you can produce a decent PDF with that many criterias for whatever prices you quoted.
The underselling was sarcasm but the point to it all is not...it fails on all accounts. And yes, I could easily produce a PDF with all that criteria with little to no effort at all and the person would not know the difference. Essentially, someone would be paying me $150 for a half hours work.

As for endorsements by a celebrity or author...they can also be easily made up. To think that this company would have had anything whatsoever with the sale or appraisal of Business dot com is laughable from all fronts.

The only thing they guarantee is a piece of paper for $150 bucks that would make the domain holder feel good and warm and fuzzy all over.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Shame on you people.. You are so fast to judge - typical! I have no affiliation whatsoever with that website and was only asking for your opinion

Well you got everyones advice and you still don't believe it so go buy the appraisal and frame it on your wall or take it to a bank and ask for a loan against that appraisal if you like.

-=DCG=-

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let me summarize what you have heard on this thread. We were all trying to give you advice but you seem too stubborn to take it, instead focusing on one that has a testimonial and posting the link over and over again.

Appraisals aren't worth *&%#, free or paid.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Shame on you people.. You are so fast to judge - typical! I have no affiliation whatsoever with that website and was only asking for your opinion. I do like the design though, but only wondered about the website because it's listed here: http://www.domaining.com/directory/domain-appraisal/

Or do you all not trust what's on Domaning.com and in their network as well? I am quite new, so enlighten me if there is something I should know. I will take it with a grain of salt though - not obliged to believe what someone says on the forum and forcing my opinion on anyone... Advice: buy SherlockHolmesFail.com for yourself :) and keep your bitterness

P.P.S. You may keep on bashing newbies here, from now on I will simply ignore any unintelligent remarks or personal attacks. Peace out!

Hi Pav

perhaps you were on defense mode because we criticized your names or places you have chosen to get valuation for them.

don't take that as criticizing you.

members here are hard on newbs, only because they are passionate.

if they weren't, then you wouldn't get true opinons.

i recommend you read this thread:
http://www.dnforum.com/f17/newsflas...ss-you-not-domain-expert-4-thread-456982.html

it may help you get a better understanding of what i bolded in the quote above.

Good Luck!

pav

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinions... looked at the suggested thread.
So when you appraise a domain what's going on in your head? How do you get to the price ranges? In simple terms.. smth like:
- LLLL.com - xxxx
- pronounceable (+20%)
- .org (minus 50%)
- dictionary word (+100%)
- 3 words (minus 90%)
- hyphen (minus 95%)
etc.... what are the rules that you follow that led you to success in this industry?

Appreciate your time and expertise :) I was an IT lecturer for 4 years myself, plus have 2 degrees.. so I love learning and know both hardships and joy of teaching. Hack the life! :)

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A domain is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

-=DCG=-

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
- pronounceable (+20%)
- .org (minus 50%)

domains are not a commodity
each one is different
and each buyer has different reasons and motivations

the price of a domain is what someone is ready to pay for it
mathematical formulas will not help

read dnjournal and you will have some idea

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So when you appraise a domain what's going on in your head? How do you get to the price ranges? In simple terms.. smth like:
- LLLL.com - xxxx
- pronounceable (+20%)
- .org (minus 50%)
- 3 words (minus 90%)
- hyphen (minus 95%)
etc.... what are the rules that you follow that led you to success in this industry?

Appreciate your time and expertise :) I was an IT lecturer for 4 years myself, plus have 2 degrees.. so I love learning and know both hardships and joy of teaching. Hack the life! :)

i think trying to set a price for a domain, is THE hardest part for many to grasp.

it does take some time, maybe years of experience to get a "feel" for value

those who've sold a volume of domains often refer to a "gut" feeling about a domain

many will price according to a pre-set roi, taking into account such factors as:

cost ot acquire
traffic
keywords
rarity
commercial viability
brandability
number of inquires to purchase
etc,

and some even set pricing according to 'who' the potential buyer is.

while others may set pricing according to 'who' THEY are.... as their "rep" may precede them as one who only sells for high prices.

there are many variables that can applicable, when pricing a specific domain.

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
- LLLL.com - xxxx
- pronounceable (+20%)
- .org (minus 50%)
- 3 words (minus 90%)
- hyphen (minus 95%)

There is NO rule!
Perhaps it's like learning to ride a bicycle...
You learn by doing it.

Just because someone/something said your domain is worth $1,000,000 do NOT necessarily mean it's worth $1,000,000. Appraisal don't mean shit unless there is a buyer who is willing to pay that amount.

But, again, your domain may be worth much more than what someone/something said if there is buyer.
I sold one domain for $5K and I knew it's worth less than $10 to anybody else. But, to the buyer, it was worth $5K!

Recently, DCG sold one domain (two word) for $80K (?).
Most domainer won't pay more than $xxx for it.
However, it was worth $80K to the buyer.

BTW...
You don't have to get defensive on DNForum. :)
Most of us do NOT waste our time trying to bash new members.
We have plenty of old members to bash each other :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators