Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

WhatIsMyIP.com - SOLD on eBay for $386,100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I noticed this one today myself after visting WhatIsMyIP.com randomly. The site could have easily been better developed to take advantage of the traffic, while maintaining and improving the service. WhatIsMyIPAddress.com was regged a year after WhatIsMyIP.com. I found that interesting. The original gets a lot of mentions as a very matter of fact service many people need in this age of routers and LANs.

~ Nexus

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What i would like to know is....

Why was there no advertising on the original site? Surely they would have tried something before selling?

How many of those 60,000 visitors per day are computer requests? I noticed on http://www.whatsmyip.org that they say:

PLEASE do not use any automated software or scripts to load this site over and over.
It is becoming a big burden on my bandwidth. Thanks.

Is this a big issue for IP Information sites?

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DeCal said:
Is this a big issue for IP Information sites?
I can imagine from the technical perspective, someone using the site as a way to remotely and automatically determine the IP of the machine they're on. If the .ORG guy is getting too much traffic requests in a dopey manner (page reloads), I can only imagine its by viruses trying to phone home and outwardly determine "where am i, I must tell me master where to find me..." :cheeky:

Worse, I wonder if some lame brained "Dynamic IP" resolving client programs actually scrape sites like this to allow a domain name to point to a client that doesn't have a static address. I see lots of potential problems with this type of abuse.

~ Nexus

Rebies

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did a lot of research on this domain in the past few days. It's very hard to tell with how many bots they had versus standard human visitors. I really wanted the domain - but too rich for my blood. Too many variables, too many ways you could spend way too much for the domain and wind up having paid 10 times what the domain is really worth.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rebies said:
Yes, I did a lot of research on this domain in the past few days. It's very hard to tell with how many bots they had versus standard human visitors. I really wanted the domain - but too rich for my blood. Too many variables, too many ways you could spend way too much for the domain and wind up having paid 10 times what the domain is really worth.

Overture searches 4808 or 5905 without dot com. Don't seem much to me, I get more than that on Cyrillic IDN. If its a straight up deal, I reckon the dude has way over paid!

Regards
Dave Wrixon

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
Overture searches 4808 or 5905 without dot com. Don't seem much to me, I get more than that on Cyrillic IDN. If its a straight up deal, I reckon the dude has way over paid!
Regards
Dave Wrixon
I would imagine 4808 with extension of Overture to be very very good. Not sure how one could read it otherwise. The final auction price seems oversteep though. Plenty HIGHLY popular/trafficed websites don't get that.

~ Nexus

datat

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use to use that site several times a day (hand typed) when setting up networks.

The main reason for that site rather than others, was it was fast to load and easy to remmber.

If several thousand people are still using in that way, then this maybe where the traffic comes from. Although will ads it could slow down and loose users, as the choice of sites for this type of service is vast now.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
datat said:
I use to use that site several times a day (hand typed) when setting up networks.

The main reason for that site rather than others, was it was fast to load and easy to remmber.

If several thousand people are still using in that way, then this maybe where the traffic comes from. Although will ads it could slow down and loose users, as the choice of sites for this type of service is vast now.

Suggesting that traffic has little real commercial value, as users are not really going to be browsing adverts. Still sounds expensive to me!

Dave Wrixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators