Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld What's the current record for highest sale of .ca so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the WHOIS at CIRA and tell me what you see.

Very shrewd find for whoever located those details ;)

Now, by "CIRA acting on it", is a part that I'm not following. Does the discovery of the sale price at all require CIRA's involvement?

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the WHOIS at CIRA and tell me what you see.

It's privatized, so I can't see anything.

However, I can put 2 and 2 together from what I think you're getting at (especially since it was an SEC filing we were talking about) - and that's that a US registrant owns the name, but is ineligible for .ca ownership and therefore CIRA's intervention is required to justify the situation.

I just ran a CIPO search on "creditcards", "creditcards.ca" and "credit cards", none of which turned up any trademark results which would have made them eligible as a trademark holder.

So if that is the case, the registration could very well be invalid, and a $650k investment (which could have been paid off by now) could be at risk for the guys behind it.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not only that - the entity which sold the registration would be asked a few questions also if they transferred to a non-qualifying registrant.

If one is clever - not to mention fast - one would make a report to CIRA through their 'contact us' web form and they would send that to their compliance team before the U.S. company sets up a Canadian affiliate or puts it in your name - just as an example - and in a few weeks we see a whopper of a TBR happen.

Perhaps it is merely a simple clerical error ;) - like all of those MarkMonitor registrations.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not only that - the entity which sold the registration would be asked a few questions also if they transferred to a non-qualifying registrant.

If one is clever - not to mention fast - one would make a report to CIRA through their 'contact us' web form and they would send that to their compliance team before the U.S. company sets up a Canadian affiliate or puts it in your name - just as an example - and in a few weeks we see a whopper of a TBR happen.

Perhaps it is merely a simple clerical error ;) - like all of those MarkMonitor registrations.

That said, is it the seller's duty to ensure that the purchaser is an eligible entity? If so, what repercussions might await for such negligence?

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

BTW, can't reply to the PM you just sent... PM inbox is full.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay, there is room now for a PM.-

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That said, is it the seller's duty to ensure that the purchaser is an eligible entity? If so, what repercussions might await for such negligence?

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Both CIRA and REGISTRARS accept a check box from registrants saying they qualify. Given there is little due diligence by those parties it would be hard to believe a registrant selling a domain would be held to a higher standard. I usually just point out the registration requirements. It's up to them past that point.

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It was sold from a canadian corp to a texas corp, but held by a canadian lawyer on behalf of the buyer. It appears the buyer then sold the domain to bankrate (who may have been working on their behalf from day one). I don't think the texas corp ever was listed as the registrant.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That still means the registration is offside. The lawyer can act for the buyer without any problem, but he cannot front a registration of a .ca domain for any person or entity which otherwise does not qualify.

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That still means the registration is offside. The lawyer can act for the buyer without any problem, but he cannot front a registration of a .ca domain for any person or entity which otherwise does not qualify.

yeah, the lawyer was also acting as escrow and my understanding from the lawyer and buyer was that the lawyer could then hold it on behalf of the buyer while the buyer presumably would establish a canadian presence in the future. I considered that risk to be theirs and not mine. All I know is that my legal sale document was to the texas company. But to be honest, cira doesn't appear to do much about it anyways, the most I've heard them do is say "fix it"... and only then if you don't fix it do you risk losing it... since bankrate.com is the current owner, I highly doubt they would investigate a past owner, so the question is does bankrate.com have a legitimate canadian presence? Even if not, cira will likely not do anything drastic (like drop a domain) from them. I've seen plenty of u.s. companies that provide service or product to canadians - and register their corresponding .ca to market directly to canadians, despite not having a physical canadian presence. I personally am annoyed when I go to a .ca domain to buy a product only to find out the products ship from outside of canada and will be subject to duties/brokerage/etc... it is annoying, but I doubt cira really cares too much about compliance. If CIRA _really_ cared, they would require registrants with non-canadian addresses to file actual documents proving their canadian presence requirements prior to being allowed to own a domain. But that would require someone to actually validate and file those documents and approve cira accounts....

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah, the lawyer was also acting as escrow and my understanding from the lawyer and buyer was that the lawyer could then hold it on behalf of the buyer while the buyer presumably would establish a canadian presence in the future. I considered that risk to be theirs and not mine. All I know is that my legal sale document was to the texas company. But to be honest, cira doesn't appear to do much about it anyways, the most I've heard them do is say "fix it"... and only then if you don't fix it do you risk losing it... since bankrate.com is the current owner, I highly doubt they would investigate a past owner, so the question is does bankrate.com have a legitimate canadian presence? Even if not, cira will likely not do anything drastic (like drop a domain) from them. I've seen plenty of u.s. companies that provide service or product to canadians - and register their corresponding .ca to market directly to canadians, despite not having a physical canadian presence. I personally am annoyed when I go to a .ca domain to buy a product only to find out the products ship from outside of canada and will be subject to duties/brokerage/etc... it is annoying, but I doubt cira really cares too much about compliance. If CIRA _really_ cared, they would require registrants with non-canadian addresses to file actual documents proving their canadian presence requirements prior to being allowed to own a domain. But that would require someone to actually validate and file those documents and approve cira accounts....

It is clear that CIRA would have no grounds at all to go after you, but as for the current registration holder, it means CIRA now either has to enforce the .ca rules in good faith or they drop the whole thing and we can have the federal government come in and contract out the running of the .ca space to some private company with no rules at all and none of the highly-paid staff.

If CIRA does not do the job then the job will be gone, and quickly.

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it will soon be under a non-disclosure soon before it happens I will give you the name..... md.ca

This one will take a while to close but it will close.

-=DCG=-

I hate to bring up what is probably a sore subject, but I stumbled onto md.ca today researching something else and thought to myself, oh yeah, what happened with that? I assume that since md.ca redirects to dnforum that this deal fell through?

Or did this finally go through? I see its showing an updated date of March 1, 2013, now reg'd at godaddy?

Last edited:

Premiumhosted

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any comment, Adam?

DomainLobe

Internet Ventures
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom