Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

When Do You Know a Domain Names Worth Buying?

Willox Perez

NameTreats Rep
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A dilemma that I have encountered a lot of times when searching for a domain name to buy is knowing when you truly have a good one and knowing is worth the risk investing and buying it.

Honestly a lot of times there are many factors when it comes to determining the value of a domain name.

#1 Age
#2 Length of Characters
#3 Search Volume
#4 CPC
#5 Amount of Related Sites with Similar Names

Even after all of this still speculation. But if you come across a domain name that you feel is worth the asking price then honestly go for it. If you have done your research and everything seems to click do not be afraid to pull the trigger.

In my case I was involved in an auction in which it was me and some other person bidding for the name. I really liked the name and it fit most of the factors of value I look for in a name but I was hesitant. The other person ended up winning the name for about $143.

That's not the worst part....

I wrote all about it at OmarandWill .com, I go into details on how this person was later able to flip this domain name for about 1800, Yes! Purchased it at $143 and Flipped it for $1800.

So if I was just able to commit to buying this name and went higher I would have been the one reaping the profits! Have you guys ever had a similar experience when you were hesitant to buy a domain only to see if flipped for great profits by someone else?

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

accelerator

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i was in an auction for a name that sold for 400 bucks and 4 years later sold for 36k but you can't know what is going to happen in the future. some names just sell for good money because the buyer wanted it bad enough and the seller asked for big money. you win some, you lose some. you won't be right all the time.

Willox Perez

NameTreats Rep
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i was in an auction for a name that sold for 400 bucks and 4 years later sold for 36k but you can't know what is going to happen in the future. some names just sell for good money because the buyer wanted it bad enough and the seller asked for big money. you win some, you lose some. you won't be right all the time.

Wow that is definitely huge profits. But you are definitely right and it should be the way we look at it.
We will win some and lose some just keep with the process.
Thanks for sharing!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Flipping names is a great game for beginners. Plenty of pocket change to be made. If you are after the big bucks, buy the best domain you can afford. Holding long is the only winning strategy that reaps big rewards.

Willox Perez

NameTreats Rep
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Flipping names is a great game for beginners. Plenty of pocket change to be made. If you are after the big bucks, buy the best domain you can afford. Holding long is the only winning strategy that reaps big rewards.
Definitely like that approach as well. I feel you can definitely do both. Flip some names here and there to keep the cash flow coming but make sure to also focus on long term investing if you see a great name available you can buy.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20/20 they say, so get used to seeing someone make a killer trade with a name that should've been yours. The reverse holds too, sometimes you see a great name sold to someone for $20 and it should've gone for $1K which you would've paid. You can make a killing by buying high too, if you manage to sell higher lol. It's in rising markets that you have to watch it, such as the LLLL.com's right now, you'll be told any name w/o vowel or V can be resold for $,$$$. So you would pay $900 for one and it should work, right ? Well, if things go your way and you manage to wait the right time

Or take the infamous NNNN.com's, thay stayed below $500 until around 4 yrs ago, then the Chinese (largely) decided they were $1K. By 2014 they began selling for $10K, now $20K is fair price. But there are so few possible NNNN.com's, there's a ton of LLLL.com's

The so called 'quick flips' we all dream of may get you spoiled if they happen soon after you get into this game. Then you'll think you'll be able to do that all the time and you won't. Flips can also lose you opportunities when that domain appreciates and you won't own it. It works sometimes, for some people, but you need to know which names to flip and which are keepers and that's not easy. Holding a name too long and being stubborn like renewing losers year after year can also kill you. Buy quality and look at what sells and where the likely bubbles are

I am told practically anyone who entered domaining mid-2000s or earlier and knew what they were doing should be rich by now. It should be true, unless you screwed up big time and lost all the good chances you had. But that was a land rush, this is not o_O

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators