Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Where to modify a name server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi, do you know where to modify an existing name server? I mean if I registered a name server ns.abc.com with ip 123.123.123.123, and now I want to modify it with a different IP 567.567.567.567., where could I do that? I forgot where did I register name server either:cry:
I only know godaddy.com has such a function let me register new name server with my own domain, but I wish to modify an existing name server now and the domain was not registered through godaddy.com but register.com.
Thank you for your help.

Domain summit 2024

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
At Godaddy it's "Create/Modify NS" I think. If the domain is not registered with them they can't change it nor need to - all you have to do is change the NS info for your Goddady domains.

If it's still with Register.com you should change the NS info there - and give it 24 to 48 hours to propagate.

You can only change the IP address of a nameserver for your domain at the current registrar where the domain name is being managed.

Go see your current registrar.

-t

VoxKeysGtr

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Man, I am trying to do this right now. My name's at enom, now, and it taked forever for them to respond to a support request. This kinda sux. I wish there was a site where we could go and take care of these things by ourselves without having to wait for enom.:sad:

It all depends on what services your registrar offers.

With OpenSRS for instance, you can do this yourself with no fuss or muss :).

Once you do change your IP address, be aware that the changes are made to the zone files every 12 hours, and then the default TTL values in those zone files are 48 hours, so propagation will take a little time as well.

-t

VoxKeysGtr

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't believe enom offers this feature. At least not that I've seen. I am still waiting on enom's response, so that usually takes a few days, so I hope they'll have some good news for me.

I've also gone to the NetSol's site to try and delete it there, but I've had no response from them, either. Oh, well. :sad:

Originally posted by VoxKeysGtr
I don't believe enom offers this feature. At least not that I've seen. I am still waiting on enom's response, so that usually takes a few days, so I hope they'll have some good news for me.

I've also gone to the NetSol's site to try and delete it there, but I've had no response from them, either. Oh, well. :sad:

http://www.enom.com/domains/RegNameServer.asp

Originally posted by yesonline
Hi, do you know where to modify an existing name server? I mean if I registered a name server ns.abc.com with ip 123.123.123.123, and now I want to modify it with a different IP 567.567.567.567., where could I do that? I forgot where did I register name server either:cry:
I only know godaddy.com has such a function let me register new name server with my own domain, but I wish to modify an existing name server now and the domain was not registered through godaddy.com but register.com.
Thank you for your help.

http://www.register.com/contact_us4_faq.cgi?1|3281091622|#3

Originally posted by VoxKeysGtr
You cannot modify your actual nameserver IP addresses from anywhere other than where the domain is registered. The only way a registrar can update this information at the registry is if they manage the domain.

You may be able to get Verisign to do it for you directly (assuming this is a CNO domain), however you will have to prove your registrar is not responding first... The Registry does not generally deal with the public at all.

-t

VoxKeysGtr

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That explains NetSol's silence on the matter. Enom finally came through for me, so I'm just waiting on the requisite 48 hours for propagation and stuff, and hopefully, I'll be on my way. :cool:

Thanks for the info, thewitt. :)

pixelman

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You could point to mydomain.com's DNS server when you first register a new domain.

Mydomain.com gives you a lot of flexibilities on controlling the e-mail / URL forwarding, IP address, sub-domain, etc. for your domain. And it is free.

Try to DIY if we can.
Dealing with registrars, especially NetSol, is always a pain.

p.s. I am not from mydomain.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom