Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Who owns your .CA Lastname?

jstewart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://dotcadomains.blogspot.ca/2013/04/us-aerospace-company-purchases-ca.html

"There were a couple of .ca domain sales worth noting over the past week. Both sales were listed in yesterday's DNJournal.com weekly sales report.

Hutchinson.ca - $5,347 sold at ExcellentDomains.ca

Graves.ca - $4,500 sold at DomainNameSales / DomainAdvisors

Both domain sales were in the top eight country code sales of the week, with Hutchinson.ca coming in at #4 and Graves.ca at #8.

Both domains are still pointed to landing pages at the sites where they were sold. Graves.ca doesn't show much information about the new registrant in DomainTools, but Hutchinson.ca is showing as owned by Marquez Transtech Ltd, with a technical contact in Santa Clara, California.

After doing a little more hunting, I found the press release here which probably best explains why the Hutchinson.ca domain was purchased:
http://www.marquez.ca/pdf/press-release-2013.pdf

The first thing I thought when I saw both .ca sales this week were that they both look like family names. I thought the buyers might be people who just wanted to own they own last name in .ca, but how things first appear in domains isn't always the case!"

From DNJournal

Domain summit 2024

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own my last name in .ca, no chance of the .com it is owned by family in Italy so I am cool with it :)

I also picked up the .org just in case I become so wealthy I am forced to help the less fortunate for a tax write off lol

JamesBooth

www.BQDN.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My Brother owns our last name .com and I own Firstname-Lastname.com :(

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
interesting... :yo:

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do they host the emails or are the names just forwarded to clients existing accounts like gmail, Hotmail, etc.

jstewart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe they are forwards but I am not sure.

Here are two sites I have running now, which do you think is better? Working on some other alternatives as well:

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My Brother owns our last name .com and I own Firstname-Lastname.com :(

I think you should file a WIPO on it lol I recall when your brother bought the name here.

I know your brother Andy, you are lucky to have such a great teacher. Welcome to the board James, hopefully youre getting in as another up swing takes place!

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wish there were stats for first name sales for the .ca

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's easy...

A GREAT first name.ca is MID $XXXX-LOW $XXXXX to motivated buyers.

There is a difference between John and Johnnie or Adam and Adum or Josh and Joshie

The difference being thousand of dollars and reg fee.

As far as .com go they are generally worth 10-20 times more, I have likely sold more premium first name.com names the last 5 years than almost anyone else that I know of. Prices range form $30k-$XXXk based motivation and popularity with average being $65k+++. In fact .ca first names do better than generic words in terms of percentage of .com values because names are special :)

jstewart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks like Hover.Com is starting to offer some of their inventory for sale via GoDaddy.

Albertson.Com is listed for sale at GoDaddy for Current Price: C$47,730.17 | Auction Ends: 8/16/2013 9:31:00 AM PDT

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have run into them many times and yes $47k is not a shocker for that name, ask them what theyd want for ones I sold for $65k, premium names, like Laura.com (one I sold ) and youd get quoted 6 figures all day. Like I said the value can range fro mid 5 figs to 6 figs based on popularity and motivation :)

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just registered my .ca last name.
A year ago I registered .com

Lucky me!

Wow. That's impressive. I would have thought that "protein" would have been reg'd a long time ago. ;-)

triple777

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I own the .ca, a german guy living in Italy owns .com. I can't conclude why he owns it.

poing

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I registered the .CA, .COM, NET and ORG of my last name. We also have the first name of my son in .ca . I did have the .DE at one point (I'm from originally from there), but lost it at one point.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Somebody here owns mine grrrrrr. Frankie had my first name and wouldn't sell. But I have the first names for most of our family.
Also my first/last (who was a fairly famous race car driver).

Dr. Anthony

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but i figured I'd chime in a bit here too.

since mid/early 2000s, a restaurant owned my lastname.ca
I waited years and eventually gave up.

I registered the .co version and used that for email.
Then I noticed the .ca domain sat without a website for about a year, and so i waited for it to drop. Someone beat me to it on the TBR. I ended up buying it off them for 1200usd.

I currently own my firstlast.ca .com .net (sometimes I'll get offers on the .com)

1 of my kids have a common first name. Unfortunately, whoever owns her .ca has it forwarded to an adult site.
I own the other kids firstnames in .ca

I figure as long as I own my last name.ca, their firstname.ca would be good enough.

I own some other .ca firstnames as well, but don't get any offers on them.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom