• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale Who owns your .CA Lastname?

http://dotcadomains.blogspot.ca/2013/04/us-aerospace-company-purchases-ca.html

"There were a couple of .ca domain sales worth noting over the past week. Both sales were listed in yesterday's DNJournal.com weekly sales report.

Hutchinson.ca - $5,347 sold at ExcellentDomains.ca

Graves.ca - $4,500 sold at DomainNameSales / DomainAdvisors

Both domain sales were in the top eight country code sales of the week, with Hutchinson.ca coming in at #4 and Graves.ca at #8.

Both domains are still pointed to landing pages at the sites where they were sold. Graves.ca doesn't show much information about the new registrant in DomainTools, but Hutchinson.ca is showing as owned by Marquez Transtech Ltd, with a technical contact in Santa Clara, California.

After doing a little more hunting, I found the press release here which probably best explains why the Hutchinson.ca domain was purchased:
http://www.marquez.ca/pdf/press-release-2013.pdf

The first thing I thought when I saw both .ca sales this week were that they both look like family names. I thought the buyers might be people who just wanted to own they own last name in .ca, but how things first appear in domains isn't always the case!"

From DNJournal
 
I own my last name in .ca, no chance of the .com it is owned by family in Italy so I am cool with it :)

I also picked up the .org just in case I become so wealthy I am forced to help the less fortunate for a tax write off lol
 
My Brother owns our last name .com and I own Firstname-Lastname.com :(
 
do they host the emails or are the names just forwarded to clients existing accounts like gmail, Hotmail, etc.
 
I believe they are forwards but I am not sure.

Here are two sites I have running now, which do you think is better? Working on some other alternatives as well:
 
Last edited:
My Brother owns our last name .com and I own Firstname-Lastname.com :(

I think you should file a WIPO on it lol I recall when your brother bought the name here.

I know your brother Andy, you are lucky to have such a great teacher. Welcome to the board James, hopefully youre getting in as another up swing takes place!
 
wish there were stats for first name sales for the .ca
 
That's easy...

A GREAT first name.ca is MID $XXXX-LOW $XXXXX to motivated buyers.

There is a difference between John and Johnnie or Adam and Adum or Josh and Joshie

The difference being thousand of dollars and reg fee.

As far as .com go they are generally worth 10-20 times more, I have likely sold more premium first name.com names the last 5 years than almost anyone else that I know of. Prices range form $30k-$XXXk based motivation and popularity with average being $65k+++. In fact .ca first names do better than generic words in terms of percentage of .com values because names are special :)
 
Looks like Hover.Com is starting to offer some of their inventory for sale via GoDaddy.

Albertson.Com is listed for sale at GoDaddy for Current Price: C$47,730.17 | Auction Ends: 8/16/2013 9:31:00 AM PDT
 
I have run into them many times and yes $47k is not a shocker for that name, ask them what theyd want for ones I sold for $65k, premium names, like Laura.com (one I sold ) and youd get quoted 6 figures all day. Like I said the value can range fro mid 5 figs to 6 figs based on popularity and motivation :)
 
I own the .ca, a german guy living in Italy owns .com. I can't conclude why he owns it.
 
I registered the .CA, .COM, NET and ORG of my last name. We also have the first name of my son in .ca . I did have the .DE at one point (I'm from originally from there), but lost it at one point.
 
Somebody here owns mine grrrrrr. Frankie had my first name and wouldn't sell. But I have the first names for most of our family.
Also my first/last (who was a fairly famous race car driver).
 
I know this is an old thread, but i figured I'd chime in a bit here too.

since mid/early 2000s, a restaurant owned my lastname.ca
I waited years and eventually gave up.

I registered the .co version and used that for email.
Then I noticed the .ca domain sat without a website for about a year, and so i waited for it to drop. Someone beat me to it on the TBR. I ended up buying it off them for 1200usd.

I currently own my firstlast.ca .com .net (sometimes I'll get offers on the .com)

1 of my kids have a common first name. Unfortunately, whoever owns her .ca has it forwarded to an adult site.
I own the other kids firstnames in .ca

I figure as long as I own my last name.ca, their firstname.ca would be good enough.


I own some other .ca firstnames as well, but don't get any offers on them.
 
Back
Top Bottom