Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Why is .mobi in cc tld section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The biggest .mobi killer was launched by Apple. It's the iPhone.

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Personally, I believe they held those names back to ensure they were developed sold to those with deep pocket$$$$$ :)
Besides, premium names like flowers.mobi are still parked.

Well no. The original extensions were not created for some specific device. The web was build on device-independent model or browser-agnostic design if you prefer.
.mobi only creates confusion and breaks the model.
Also it is important to remember that domain names have been around since the mid-80s and the web did not even exist then. The mail protocols even predate domain names.

PS: the way you put it, you seem to depict .mobi as a transitional facilitator to a fully-fledged mobile Internet somewhere in the future. In other words this seems to dilute the value of .mobi domains as I would not love to invest in names that are not future-proof.

Regardless of that actual reason they did it, for development purposes or to make the most money they could, the end result is the same. Developed premium .mobi names. I really don't mind them making money in the process.. that is the goal of any businesses.

When Rick bought flowers.mobi, there were no requirements to develop that I am aware of. Simply that the site or page follow the mTLD best practices guidelines.

Re: the original extensions, maybe I should have stated.. in order to make a website, they only needed to be concerned with what the PC required.. one device, as opposed to the mobile we which consists of many devices.

Dot mobi is not the creator of the confusion, IMO, its the lack of consistency with all the different types of devices available. They are the reason for the need for a standard format for mobile sites. Dot mobi eliminates the confusion in actuality. The model for PC sites is not the same as the model for mobile sites.

Regardless of the date domains came to be, we are still looking at a new situation. We are talking about taking 2.6 billion phones and finding a way for the same site to be viewable on every single one of those devices. The only way to do that is to use mTLD standards. No matter how many redirects or autodetectors you use, the site must still be viewable to everyone in order for the mobile web to reach its full potential.

I absolutely belive .mobi is 'a transitional facilitator to a fully-fledged mobile Internet'. How would that cause the extension to lose value? Is that not very similar to what .com did long ago for the PC web as we know it today? Has .com lost value?

I certainly do think people will continue to use .mobi along with .com .net and .everything else once the mobile web explodes and the phone companies work together for more compatible products.

I am not trying to talk you into investing, that makes no difference to me. The mobile web is going to occur with us or without us. I am simply replying to your post. Since we are stating opinions, neither of us is wrong. Neither of us work for mTLD, so we can not know their plans, their methods or reasons behind what they do. We can only observe and decide on our own, weather to invest or not. I chose to, you chose not to. Fair enough :)

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Regardless of that actual reason they did it, for development purposes or to make the most money they could, the end result is the same. Developed premium .mobi names. I really don't mind them making money in the process.. that is the goal of any businesses.

When Rick bought flowers.mobi, there were no requirements to develop that I am aware of. Simply that the site or page follow the mTLD best practices guidelines.

Re: the original extensions, maybe I should have stated.. in order to make a website, they only needed to be concerned with what the PC required.. one device, as opposed to the mobile we which consists of many devices.

Dot mobi is not the creator of the confusion, IMO, its the lack of consistency with all the different types of devices available. They are the reason for the need for a standard format for mobile sites. Dot mobi eliminates the confusion in actuality. The model for PC sites is not the same as the model for mobile sites.

Regardless of the date domains came to be, we are still looking at a new situation. We are talking about taking 2.6 billion phones and finding a way for the same site to be viewable on every single one of those devices. The only way to do that is to use mTLD standards. No matter how many redirects or autodetectors you use, the site must still be viewable to everyone in order for the mobile web to reach its full potential.

I absolutely belive .mobi is 'a transitional facilitator to a fully-fledged mobile Internet'. How would that cause the extension to lose value? Is that not very similar to what .com did long ago for the PC web as we know it today? Has .com lost value?

I certainly do think people will continue to use .mobi along with .com .net and .everything else once the mobile web explodes and the phone companies work together for more compatible products.

I am not trying to talk you into investing, that makes no difference to me. The mobile web is going to occur with us or without us. I am simply replying to your post. Since we are stating opinions, neither of us is wrong. Neither of us work for mTLD, so we can not know their plans, their methods or reasons behind what they do. We can only observe and decide on our own, weather to invest or not. I chose to, you chose not to. Fair enough :)

I noticed Gerry's posts have decreased in size (I hear he's updating the BS Expander algorithm (TM)). Now, are you his cousin or did he simply sell you the older version?

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The biggest .mobi killer was launched by Apple. It's the iPhone.

I think it has helped .mobi, really.. along with the mobile web. It brought awareness to the public that the mobile web is comming. There are billions of people in the world who cannot afford the iphone yet. The price drops, though they will be soon when the competition heats up, will not be low enough for a while yet.

Unless the phone companies all get together and launch free or very low cost bandwidth packages on better, similar, cheaper phones, there will still be the issue of sites that are too large and/or heavy with graphics and apps that do not work on phones.

There are many variables here and none of us has a crystal ball, so anything we say is a best-guess. We will all feel the way we feel until somehting jumps out and changes our minds. We will jsut have to see what happens.

movingconcierge

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Short answer: I believe that the iPhone was good for .mobi.

~OR~

Long answer: Here is my reasoning.

Basis
--> .mobi is not a new technology. It is not a technology at all.

--> dotMobi is doing a bang up job of marketing and branding .mobi to major players as the symbol of a mobile website.

--> forward thinking companies like Disney, BOFA, Visa, etc. have been sold on the idea and are taking some of the burden of marketing to a secondary level; an end user level that is.

Summary
Since .mobi is really an idea based on a set of quality principles, it is independent of any technology. The principles seek to ensure a quality experience of a mobile internet user. So, whatever that morphs into given the current condition of mobile browsing technology, then so be it. i.e. it doesn't matter what mobile technology does as .mobi standards will fill the gap or disappear when the time comes. It's that simple.

Also, it is wrong to say that .mobi is the mobile internet. .mobi is being branded as the SYMBOL of the mobile internet...and being branded very well, I might add. MTLD is courting and winning over some of the biggest players across many SIC's. It's quite impressive and nothing to be discounted. Whatever your view of their mission, you should tip your hat to their dedication and execution of their plan. It completely eclipses any other tld launch. Look to .eu as a relevant example.

Further, now that .mobi is a part of some very large players across industries like banking (BOFA), entertainment (Disney), finance (Visa), etc. these players now have a vested interest in furthering this new platform with their own marketing campaigns like Disney is already doing (hsm2.mobi).

Conclusion
Whatever the future holds for mobile technology like roll out oled screens, mini projectors, assimilation chips :), MTLD will ensure that .mobi will still be the symbol of a quality internet experience on your mobile device.

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I noticed Gerry's posts have decreased in size (I hear he's updating the BS Expander algorithm (TM)). Now, are you his cousin or did he simply sell you the older version?

Sorry maroulis.. I won't be baited.
If my posts are too long for you.. please put me on ignore. Same applies if you don't approve of my 'BS'.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry maroulis.. I won't be baited.
If my posts are too long for you.. please put me on ignore. Same applies if you don't approve of my 'BS'.

that's one way of looking at it... Unfortunately the ignore is permanent which means at some point you're bound to write something short and meaningful in which case I'll totally miss it...

and I REALLY don't want that :)

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Yeah :D although lemmings are suicidal by nature. Sheep are misguided noobies that fell for the promises made by .mobi fanbois!

Alexander

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a typical PC vs. Mac forum thread. Similar to Mac fanboys, those who praise .mobi are unlikely to quit and will go out of their way for attention.

Just let them be, no one is listening anyways. :asleep:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a typical PC vs. Mac forum thread. Similar to Mac fanboys, those who praise .mobi are unlikely to quit and will go out of their way for attention.

Just let them be, no one is listening anyways. :asleep:
That means a lot coming from some who was selling a blatant TM and Copyrighted violation domain yesterday.

Now you're wanting attention?

You've got it.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah :D although lemmings are suicidal by nature. Sheep are misguided noobies that fell for the promises made by .mobi fanbois!

I think 90% of mobi gang belong in lemmings category, the rest you're right are sheep :)

That means a lot coming from some who was selling a blatant TM and Copyrighted violation domain yesterday.

Now you're wanting attention?

You've got it.

the .mobi is available... why are you bitching anyway?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay, we can do this one word at a time, one sentence at a time.

Hey, sorry...worked last night and was asleep and my bullshit monitor went off. Some call it a pager. But it had your caller ID.

Lets talk about the real bullshit.

A simple question asked by a member (it could have been a question of the brain size of a babboon) which perhaps would have garnered one response, if that.

But being that this animal is a .mobi, it has now received 159 responses 1671 views.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay, we can do this one word at a time, one sentence at a time.

Hey, sorry...worked last night and was asleep and my bullshit monitor went off. Some call it a pager. But it had your caller ID.

Lets talk about the real bullshit.

you should be thanking me really... since I mentioned the BS Expander software, go back to your recent posts and marvel at how short & more legible they are :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom