Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Why should I even be looking into .us domain names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameBrandable

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree that .US domains have appeal either as a longer-term play, or as an SEO play. I tend to buy them when they have good keywords or are very short. However for end-users they make sense for high-value keywords that are priced too high or for businesses that could benefit from sounding official in some way (think debt relief, etc). I also believe that Geo and Travel domains, especially for small local biz could pick up for .us. Anyone else think this makes sense?

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I quite like them when it matters that the keywords are country specific, as in homeownersinsurance and taxlien dot us. There is not much of an aftermarket, so they are confined to development or long-term holds. I believe Americans will come around to their ccTLD some day, but who knows?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This thread started 2 years ago, got a bump a year ago, and now it's back. It's interesting to look back at what I said 2 years ago and still think it is true today. .us domains are still a good bargain and great for SEO, especially if you can get some reat keyword domains. The only think I won't agree with with what I said 2 years ago is the .info reference (still some good domains but they don't perform nearly as well as .us).

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The .us extension has proven to be a dud. It is almost as bad as .biz. I told people a few years ago that they should NOT fall for the pumping that a few well-known websites and domain journals were doing with the .us extension. Their asinine arguments were that there were no good dotcoms left so businesses would have to buy .us. That is not only 100 percent wrong, it was also dishonest and immoral, as those pumpers owned a bunch of the .us horseshit.

As it turns out, those who invested in .us are now bankrupt and humiliated. Basically, all you need to do is stick with dotcom. After you make a few hundred thousand or half a million buying and selling some dotcom names, then if you want to branch out into dogshit then be my guest.

Do NOT trust anybody who wants to sell you anything, let alone names in virtually worthless LOSER extensions. The domain world if full of scams. Just about every single so-called trusted entity or website has been involved in serious fraud or dishonesty. I used to bust these clowns all the time, and they tried to throw me out, but that is what scammers try to do. Think for yourself. Look out for yourself.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do NOT trust anybody who wants to sell you anything, let alone names in virtually worthless LOSER extensions. The domain world if full of scams. Just about every single so-called trusted entity or website has been involved in serious fraud or dishonesty. I used to bust these clowns all the time, and they tried to throw me out, but that is what scammers try to do. Think for yourself. Look out for yourself.
Excellent points.

I saw someone last night selling a domain name, a dot com, right here on this very forum pumping it up. It was the singular version of a website that is used in sports betting. That seems like a great setup for dealing with dishonest people. And no matter the seller puts it, they will find a way to justify WHY their dishonest (or immoral) deeds are okay but others are not.

Its a great lesson. No matter how many times the seller decreases the BIN, stay clear of these potential fraud and TM names. Whether its $850 or $500, the new buyer risks the potential at some point in the future of losing the domain to the holders of the the TM. It's that "confusingly similar" section of the WIPO that nails people. I've always wondered...if someone was to buy such a name and then lose it in a WIPO, could that buyer then turn around and sue the seller? Sure, someone can sue someone else for anything. But there are some filings that are legitimate - especially when the seller is drawing direct comparisons to the active site.

Anyways, I digress...perhaps with the .com riches a person can buy an island and name it anything they want even if it sounds confusingly similar to another.

domainbartender

Your name server since 2008.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's been 2 years since the last post.. I still think .us is one of the stronger extensions. It's as strong as .me, and these two have the advantage of being both a domain hack and a meaning in itself "us" vs "me" :) .biz and .mobi aren't doing so well in comparison.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sold another one this week. About half of the names in .us that I have sold have been to EU entities.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear that at least somebody is selling .us domains. I don't .us will ever be as popular as other mainstream ccTLDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators