Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Why so little interest in .info LL2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems like everyone is keeping mum about .info LL2. Is the market so bad, or everyone is busy squirrelling the best .info names for themselves as LL2 registrars open their queues? :cool:

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.info? - No future.:)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You gotta be kidding, right? That's what they used to say about .com in 1995.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ain't kidding.

Thing is, .com does exist already - and most companies that buy .info at all just buy it to have their name with all extensions there are.So just to be complete.
The other ones are very small companies that can't afford to buy a decent .com so they won't pay you big dollars for a .info name.No new company will start their internet presence with an .info/.biz name if they have the choice.

Plus, this is what it's all about:

If the public is aware of an extension and if it's included in Joe Blow's average internet usage.So far none of the new ext. is common use to the general public(ie enduser) at all.

Why?

Because none of these TLD's is PROMOTED really.

The only new TLD i think has chances to become successful is .us just because of emotional reasons(pride etc.).
The permanent releasing of new TLD's to me has 3 impacts:
- The respective registry and the registrars collect money.
- Everybody gets more confused
- Each new extension decreases the value of the previous one, except for .com wich is increasing it's value even.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree that is the situation now.

How about in 2 years time beatz, will that change?

I'm only drawing from my observations on how .com evolved. Right now, .com seems to be on the downtrend. I honestly don't see that stopping.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.com on the downtrend?!
No way.
The only thing that might be downtrend are internetcompanies that failed to reach their break even or to make profits.But that doesn't have anything to do with the .com extension itself.
Actually the opposite is the case:
As every other month a new useless extension is released,the only TLD companies/customers/buyers/sellers can be shure about is the .com one.It's like the more new extensions they release,the more everybody is sticking with .com.It's the only reliable one so to speak.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz
[BIt's like the more new extensions they release,the more everybody is sticking with .com.It's the only reliable one so to speak. [/B]

Sure. For now.

But let me tell you my frustration. I managed to get BeijingXXXXXXX.com last year when the Olympic city results were announced.

Someone wrote in a forum post that by 2008, that .com name will probably be irrelevant.

You can think of cashing in now. Or, you can think of cashing in on the future.

I think that's what's causing this dissonance in views.

Those people who really cashed in on .com got them way back when .com was just a geek concept.

Same with .info and .biz today.

Just my humble opinion.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sure.
But just because most good .com names are taken doesn't mean .info/.biz is going to be a new .com chance in terms of cashing in.It just ain't the same.
And as for 2008 - who knows what's going to happen until then.Maybe the internet is gone by then already, maybe we're in a war with china by then, maybe .info will rule by then,maybe we will have a total sum of 1482 new TLD's by then - who knows.So i would try to cashin within the next 2 years.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz
So i would try to cashin within the next 2 years.

Exactly, you should be able to cash in on .info and .biz in 2 years time. Right now, these domains are still green papayas.

.info - information - the wellspring of the internet - unsubstitutably strong meaning.

.biz - business - the wellspring of B2B commerce on the internet, currently laggards in the game. The B2B market is huge, well moneyed, but not as flamboyant as the B2C risk takers. Their time will come. And when it does, .biz does the trick I think.

ICANN (if they are still around) can introduce .shop, .travel etc etc for all we care.

.info and .biz covers the growth areas nice enough :D

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Over-rated dot BS

Dot Info disapointed a lot of folks the first time round.

All that fake TM shit they let happen the first time, kinda shows what kind of a stupid company Afilias really is.

I think people don't give a damn about dot info.
I mean lets face it...any true domain player knows if its not a dot com its not going to bomb.

As far as i am concerned they or any other new extension co. will not go anywhere....
(dot cough ! TV), (dot cough CC), (dot cough WS) cough remember them ? :) :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom