Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Wild Night at CNNIC com.cn domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

apprentice

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Today is the long awaited deletion day for pending delete com.cn domains.

However, seems like there is a mix up tonight at CNNIC
After 7 pm, some previously reserved names for cities become available.

Some punters have reg hongkong.com.cn, hk.com.cn, shandong.com.cn... and many other cities

Later, CNNIC whois again say that the name are reserved...

:confused:

oxen

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What do you think of the future of .CN ?

Unregistered

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
where can find deleting .cn domains?

apprentice

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think we can find cn deleting domains in a single listing.
Guess there are not many dropping names yet for anyone to operate such a listing.

By the way, Apr total cn reg dropped from 95,000 in Mar to 78,000 . Guess many of the mainland domain speculators fail to pay up.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why are people still registering .com.cn? Is it for the short term only? :confused:

How long do you think the value of .com.cn will maintain given the launch of 2ld .cn?

From a domain name marketing perspective, the 2ld .cn renders a whole lot better, besides being easier to type in.

apprentice

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess the com.cn gives the respectability of the name.
Only companies are allowed to register com.cn when cn reg started in the beginning.
For example, in Japan, most of the websites are co.jp, most of the 2ld jp lead to nowhere

From the marketing point of view, cn certainly is better than com.cn but it if is a top com.cn, it is worth the gamble, I think.

Last night I regged boc.com.cn (boc.cn is already regged), roc.com.cn and tw.com.cn (these names may be taken off by CNNIC though as roc and tw are restricted names). Pretty obvious what boc, roc and tw means :D

Anyway a couple of names regged successfully last night (enom whois shows last night) disappeared today.
Example : hongkong.com.cn and hk.com.cn

Some of the names slipped the net eg heilongjiang.com.cn (I am holding on to it still) but CNNIC says that they reserve the right to take away the name if it is on their reserved list and we can ask for refund from our registrar.

So the gambling game hasn't even started ::laugh:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You may have a point there. The .com in the .com.cn helps lend the international feel and legacy to the address. It will take a while for Chinese companies to rework all their email addys and printed stationary.

In the short term, this seems to make sense. But in the mid-term, the .com.CN will quickly start to look very dated imo. At least from a marketing point of view.

Which is why I think Nominet is resisting attempts to move to 2ld .UK. Companies will be compelled to convert all their URL mentions from .co.uk in advertisements, brochures, etc to avoid looking dated. Imagine the uproar, let alone the cybersquatting issues. :eek:

oxen

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How do you find the latest release list of .CN ?

apprentice

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just a note to say that CNNIC has taken back all the place related names. All the whois has been erased.

Learn a good lesson though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom