Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

WLS it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does this mean SnapNames will close down?

Domain summit 2024

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nup, devolution. Snaps will handle Verisign's WLS.

LarryWentz

Sasquatch Researchin' Pool Hall Junkie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The WLS proposal is pure nonsense. I support the "free market" system and not Verisign playing dictatorship. They have hoarded names for years (close to 2 million domain names I believe now) and their WLS proposal fits their monopoly attitude about things.

My suggestion is to keep things the way they are except that Verisign/NSI needs to be forced to let all expired names loose on the "free" market and should be fined into oblivion for tyranny!
IMO :D

Larry Wentz
http://www.AffiliateNetwork.org

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is!

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
agree LarryWentz! and that free market talk sure does sound like high school! :sad: lol j/k

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Larry, it does appear that dropped names are now being oligopolized by a few players - UltSearch and Buydomains being the most prominent ones. It wasn't in the past, it is today. Somehow, these players have cracked the system. I've lost many Snaps to these people. And so have many others.

Anything that changes the status quo will help given current circumstances.

I am in this market for quite a short time but let me tell what I think. Verisign is a monopoly. The idea that deleted or expired domains are collected and distributed by one company is a flaw. You can see that it is a flow since there are some oligopilies like buydomains in expire market. That means Verisigns RRP system is cracked and favoring some registrars or Verisign and these oligopolies have some unknown arrangements that put us little guys out of the game or Verisign's system is inferior since some individual people like chinise or individual cloaked companies are abusing it. As a little guy I only have a chance to reg 3-char alphanumerics at best or I need to play semi-illegally like getting an access to RRP by using a registar.

For the WLS, as far as I read and understand, good expired names will be pooled in a batch and distrubuted to registrars and registars will sell it to high bidders, right? then I, as a little guy can not get anything like it is now.

Oh boy I need to get a software to reach RRP and a registrar to access database :D

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by serothehero

For the WLS, as far as I read and understand, good expired names will be pooled in a batch and distrubuted to registrars and registars will sell it to high bidders, right? then I, as a little guy can not get anything like it is now.

It remains to be seen, hero.

My point is simple -- if the so called 'big guys' want to be rubbish collectors, let them. But let them bleed, throw good money after bad. Those names that expire are really sucky, because those previous registrants have learnt they are sucky and won't bring them big bucks in a million years.

Right now, those so called big players are going for a free ride, paying dirt cheap prices for dropped name because of volume arrangements. And they play with tools you haven't even figured out yet. I have been monitoring this so called 'rags to riches drop domain premise' for 2 years now, and it does appear that insider trading is now the norm in the industry. Let the unknowing suckers give us money and let them bleed... he he he he he he

Raise the stakes. That is what this cotton industry hates to hear.

WLS, it is!

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Access to the RRP. period. stop. finito. comprande?

grrr

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I mean LOW volume access to the RRP. Many domains are snapped by "small registrars" or registrars that permit only very small lists of requests, that flood very selective and targeted request not mired with the unwashed masses.

The drops that Snaps gets for me are from registrars I haven't even heard about, let alone dealt with.

I still don't understand why people think they have a *right* to be able to compete in drops - especially when their idea of "effort" is placing a snap or bidding at namewinner.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
I still don't understand why people think they have a *right* to be able to compete in drops - especially when their idea of "effort" is placing a snap or bidding at namewinner.

Absolutely safe! It's only the non-descriipt registrars who have sold their souls to the devil who will always win. Money is everything.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole Larry, it does appear that dropped names are now being oligopolized by a few players - UltSearch and Buydomains being the most prominent ones. It wasn't in the past, it is today. Somehow, these players have cracked the system. I've lost many Snaps to these people. And so have many others.Anything that changes the status quo will help given current circumstances.

Agree, most of the 'good' names are now being grabbed by BuyDomains.com and the Chinese/Koreans. It's rare a good name is taken by others.

In fact, BuyDomains has the market dominated owning well over 100,000 names for their own account (Rare Names), many they managed to grab 12 to 24 hrs before anyone else could do so.

I am strongly in favor of WLS as I feel it will be run correctly and benefit all. Apparently SnapNames will handle it and my experience with them has been good. They are a professional firm :), though they have difficulty reg'ing the excellent names :mad:

NetSol & SnapNames must do it well to keep the contract (it's a 1-yr test) and will be making considerable money on the expired name reg fees.

It will level the playing field so the average person will be able to also get expired names, instead of BuyDomains.com getting most of the good ones.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Realnames, danke, danke :D

And this bludy UltSearch won't sell his silly names (I mean silly in relation to current valuation models) for $500.

Let him check his traffic :D

Originally posted by RealNames
NetSol & SnapNames must do it well to keep the contract (it's a 1-yr test) and will be making considerable money on the expired name reg fees.
Sorry, but you are misinformed here.

There is no contract between Verisign and anyone to implement the WLS. Verisign is the only one who will be measuring the success rate of the WLS - and they have not published any guidelines for outlining what the success criteria will be.

The one year test of the WLS is something Verisign put on the deal themselves, and only Verisign will determine if it continues beyond the one year - based on it's "success."

This is simply a monopoly on the dropping names business that will put $70M-$150M of new revenue in Verisign's pocket every year, and give them complete control of the CNO dropped names business.

It will do nothing to level the playing field. Those of you who continue to spout this drivel must be too young to remember when there was only one phone company, and they set all prices and made all the rules. Monopolys are never the way to level the playing field - open and fair competition is the only answer.

By the way, there is also no way that any registrar is grabbing domain names 12-24 hours before they are available to the rest of us. Any registrar can grab domains at the same moment they are available from the registry. The fact that they don't appear in a publically available drop list is not relevant. These lists are not real time. If you want immediate access to domain names as they drop, all you need to do is become an ICANN accredited registrar.

-t

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good points witt,

How much does it cost to be an ICANN accredited registrar? I hear its $15,000 or something.

Originally posted by mole
How much does it cost to be an ICANN accredited registrar? I hear its $15,000 or something.
The details of the costs to become ICANN accredited, and add the TLD you are interested in can be found here:
http://www.icann.org/registrars/accreditation-financials.htm

The considerations for offering registration services to the public as a registrar add significanly more costs than buying accreditaion in order to buy dropped domains.

-t

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK Witt, thanks for your feedback.

But how then do you explain the fact there has been much evidence BuyDomains.com manages to grab names 12 to 24 hrs before most of us can, in view of the fact they are NOT an ICANN Accredited Registrar? They are only an affiliate of an accredited registrar DomainDiscover from what I understand.

BuyDomains has a business arrangement with DomainDiscover. DomainDiscover is the ICANN registrar, and they are running scripts against the registry to pick up domain names when they are available, and BuyDomains is their customer. This is a perfectly legal relationship for the purchase of dropping domains.

SnapNames has this same arrangement with a number of ICANN accredited registrars - they are simply not as successful for reasons that we can speculate about, but not know definitively.

What data are you using to determine that BuyDomains are grabbing names 12 to 24 hours before another ICANN registrar could grab them? Are you using the drop lists? As I and many others have stated before - these dropped name lists are worthless for identifying interesting domains, as they are generated from diffing the Zone files, which are not in real time at all.

The "secret," if there is one, for grabbing an interesting domain name, is to be running the RRP protocol against the registry with a short list of names, when those names become available. It's not rocket science - but it's not available to you if you are not ICANN accredited, or have not made the appropriate business arrangement with an accredited registrar.

-t

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators