Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

WLS it ISN'T !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

All this really means is ICANN will most likely not approve WLS, and Verisign will go through with it anyway, as they have stated over and over again that they don't believe they need ICANN approval to go forward anyway.

It will be interesting to see if ICANN really has any teeth.

-t

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt
All this really means is ICANN will most likely not approve WLS, and Verisign will go through with it anyway, as they have stated over and over again that they don't believe they need ICANN approval to go forward anyway.

It will be interesting to see if ICANN really has any teeth.

-t

Who said they won't approve?
Aren't they the same people that gave verisign the .com and .net, exclusivity till infinity ?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ICANN has already stated their unhappiness with rogue registrars misusing the RRP because of this obsession with name drops.

Yes, ICANN should show their teeth, by approving WLS.

Originally posted by mole
ICANN has already stated their unhappiness with rogue registrars misusing the RRP because of this obsession with name drops.
Can you show me this ICANN disapproval? I've been following ICANN's comments on WLS very closely, and I've missed this position entirely. The only ones I've seen complaining about supposed misuse of their registry connections are domain speculators, Verisign before they implemented bandwidth throttling and other WLS service providers who are losing to the guys who grab names better than they do.

I don't believe there is any misuse of the RRP going on at this time - and I certainly can't see any formal ICANN comment on this issue.

-t

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt

Can you show me this ICANN disapproval? I've been following ICANN's comments on WLS very closely, and I've missed this position entirely. The only ones I've seen complaining about supposed misuse of their registry connections are domain speculators, Verisign before they implemented bandwidth throttling and other WLS service providers who are losing to the guys who grab names better than they do.

I don't believe there is any misuse of the RRP going on at this time - and I certainly can't see any formal ICANN comment on this issue.

-t

http://www.icann.org/announcements/advisory-12feb02.htm

This is not ICANN disapproval of a registrar using the RRP to pick up dropped names, this is ICANN bringing to light a contractual violation where a registrar gave RRP access to a third party.

There is nothing wrong with a registrar using the RRP to pick up droppding domains.

You need to be clear here - this registrar was in clear violation of his RAA by letting a third party use his RRP access directly. This is NOT the same as a licensed registrar using the RRP to pick up dropped domains for his customers.

-t

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't know legalise, but as a layman, it is clear that rogue registrars have been selling their RRP access to "parties" that can "offer" the right price. I would have done the very same thing if I needed.

Mole,

Any registrars who do so risk losing their accrediation. There have been some past issues with this, but it's not a common practice, and is now closely watched after the few violations 6 months ago.

It has nothing to do with why Snapnames is being beaten by a bona-fide ICANN accredited registrar.

-t

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>This is not ICANN disapproval of a registrar using the RRP to pick up
>dropped names, this is ICANN bringing to light a contractual violation where
>a registrar gave RRP access to a third party.

Exactly. And that third party was actually SnapNames. :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators