Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed Wrong Appraisals

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawpsych

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Theo ...

I understand that. But why, on earth, would they be visiting my site?

Any ideas? Thanks. I'm just really puzzled.

Sheila

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depending on your computer setup (and I don't know exactly what would influence this...) all the boost may come from your OWN visits to your site.

My friend had that experience once while developing a site that basically nobody other than he and I knew about... it climbed steadily in Alexa ranking as he added material. He figured out that the only possible explanation was that for some bizarre reason Alexa was counting each of his visits as a separate visitor.

Perhaps (and I'm just speculating here) ISPs that assign dynamic IP addresses to their customers each time they dial in, and that pull those IPs from a relatively large pool of IP addresses, are the contributing factor here...

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Genki
Depending on your computer setup (and I don't know exactly what would influence this...) all the boost may come from your OWN visits to your site.

My friend had that experience once while developing a site that basically nobody other than he and I knew about... it climbed steadily in Alexa ranking as he added material. He figured out that the only possible explanation was that for some bizarre reason Alexa was counting each of his visits as a separate visitor.

Perhaps (and I'm just speculating here) ISPs that assign dynamic IP addresses to their customers each time they dial in, and that pull those IPs from a relatively large pool of IP addresses, are the contributing factor here...

Actually, AOL through the use of dynamic proxies assign a different IP to each ITEM that's being downloaded, so a page that has 10 images will show up as 11 hits from different IPs.

lawpsych

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dear Genki and Theo,

Thanks so much for replying to my question. As much as your explanations make incredible sense, the user logs suggest otherwise. The IP assigned to my computer is so different from 90% of the visitors that I'm not the culprit, although that's what I thought at first, too.

Furthermore, the "visitors" are also using quite different browswers and their systems are configured very differently from mine. I can tell exactly which visits are mine, and they do, of course, account for a percentage of the traffic.

The answer that seems to make the most sense in the little bit of "scientific" research I did a couple of hours ago is both exciting and sad. When I typed "forensic domains" into a number of search engines, what came up in the #1 spot was not my new site, but any one of a buch of the 1,000 domain names that are registered to Forensic Domains, the name I started using as soon as I decided that that would be the name of my site.

Frankly, I didn't think it was the greatest name in the world, but it did a very good job of describing the major focus of my domain selling business... finding perfect domains for law firms and medical practices, with the two areas crossing over to one another in the area of expert witness services and testimony.

I think that what has been happening is that folks may have been searching for a particular name and they ran a "whois" on the name. Until a couple of weeks ago, doing so just told them that the domains were registered to Forensic Domains, but took them nowhere. (I know, how STUPID could I have been?). Had they done so and, as bright people would have done, decided to investigate more about a particular name by going to ForensicDomains.com, they would have ended up nowhere. Now, they seem to be landing on a real site.

Does this make sense? I haven't been spending much time at all over the past week at the site, because my computer has been on the blink much of the time, yet the number of pages viewed, number of visitors, etc., keeps climbing.

So, it can't be me. The traffic seems to be coming from a real "other " set of places out there. Should I be excited about this or should I shoot myself right now for all of the time and potential business I wasted before I finally got my site up and running? Perhaps I should do both.

Perhaps, on the other hand, this explanation makes no sense either. I must say, though, that this phenomenon is not occuring at my other site, which probably would appeal to a much smaller audience, specifically just to attorneys looking for a psychologist expert witness or every high school kid who thinks that what I do is what the Profiler series has made so famous ... intuitively profiling serial killers by managing to conjure up visual images of crime scenes. :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks SO much for taking the time to respond to my question. I'll keep my eyes and ears open to see how much of the traffic is, indeed, explained by the factors you mentioned.

Sheila

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The place: the Internet
The time: now
The crime: unknown

Night fell like a dark veil, humid and musty over the small hicky town. I had already smoked my last cigarette to the end of the butt, when the phone rang. She wanted to hire me, Ted DeVille, PI. She didn't seem to be concerned by my high rates. I had myself and my cat to feed and I could use an extra client. I shook the almost empty bottle of Smirnoff twice over the glass, getting out a few drops onto the fast-melting ice. She was still talking to me on the phone, but I was barely listening. We arranged to meet the next morning, after I'd wake up. I'm not a morning person, so 1pm it had to be.

...to be continued.

lawpsych

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh, my dear Ted DeVille, she cried, (A client, I thought, now that I am too broke even to pay attention). She had a long cigarette holder and a slinky black dress that she looked poured in....no, I think she looked like someone had tried to pour her out...and then changed his mind. In her left hand she held a stuffed money belt, in her right a smoking .44 revolver. "It appears, Mr. DeVille," she said, "That I won't be needing that divorce after all."
Another night on the 6th floor of the Acme Building, in a city that knows how to keep its secrets.....

Ah, my dear Ted, you need be very careful, for you know not what you may have started. There is a forensic expert lying here on the floor, attempting to regain her composure, for the peals of
laughter are reluctant to be contained ... the client, dripping from head to toe in diamonds that once came from the earth, is ready to contact the forum gods and have you officially appointed with the title of "Creative Genius." But she knows not what such actions might provoke in the minds and hearts of those who might not understand ...

To be continued ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators