Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

X-Factor favourite Leona Lewis victim of cybersquatters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Story

Instead of hurling insults at the MacDonald Brothers, Simon Cowell should perhaps have been registering some obvious domain names for his X-Factor candidates.

Leona Lewis, who seems to be the favourite to win the X-Factor, is now the 'victim' of cybersquatters who have registered 'leonalewis.net' and tried to flog it on eBay.

According to Reuters, bidding wasn't exactly hot - with the top bid standing at £31. Experts (I'm not sure who) have said that this value could rise sharply. Unfortunately, when I visited the eBay listing I found that it had been withdrawn. Nice try, though.

It's not the first case of cybersquatting by a long way, and (no offence to Leona) there have been some much more famous cases (Tom Cruise for example).

"Celebrities' names become their brands and failing to secure all the obvious domain names has left this budding star open to attack online," said Jonathan Robinson of NetNames.

Lewis' page on social networking site MySpace has been visited more than 100,000 times.

I decided to do a bit of digging around other possible domain names (it's great fun. No, really). The name 'Ben Mills' is a fairly common name so I wasn't surprised to see quite legitimate sites in place for other people called Ben Mills (funny that).

Some people obviously have been taking domain names seriously, though: a certain Sony BMG Music Entertainment (UK) Ltd for example who registered nikittaangus.co.uk on 6th October 2006.

Interesting...

Talkhost

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
That's life... or as they say in England C'est la vie

Put your name out there and it will be taken advantage of...

P.S. Do you really think Simon Cowell et al could care less about domains? If a name they want becomes valuable, they will buy it from the owner.. I don't think folks with real jobs think of domain names 24/7
Not like some folks here.... www.alarmclockgoingoff.com - www.timetogotobed.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom