Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld y2.ca back to TBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No no, I don't think you guys read what was quoted above - the registrar had people pay for the domains but the transfers weren't done correctly (at Pool within 14 days) so now CIRA has the authority to reclaim them and put them out for TBR again (to any registrar)...

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am just going by what the OP said in the first post.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, understood but that message from Pool shows that they messed something up with their own system and by the sounds of it...a lot of the .CA domains that they won are now going back into TBR where they will have to retry to get them (even after people have paid for them! :S). Karma?...hmmmmm definitely weird though!

---------- Post added 12-17-2010 at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-16-2010 at 11:12 PM ----------

Not a fan of gov't running things, but I really like this idea of the TBR being run from a central location and pushing the name to a RAR of our choice...

-Would make it easier for us as we would only have to backorder at one place
-Residency issues would hopefully be dealt with quickly prior to the push
-The names wouldn't be held in 3rd party shell RARs
-And, in a perfect world the gov't isn't out to screw us (I know, I know, I'm dreaming) so we would be safe in assuming the process and any resulting auction would be on the up and up.

The one knock I have on this is what CIRA would do with the profits...I shudder to think about the ways they would blow that money

Agree'd! I mentioned this last week and I think if we got enough people on board maybe someone would at least consider it...after-all CIRA and .CA domains are for "the people" right? ;)

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
CIRA should run the TBR and subsequent auctions. All money raised should go to reducing the wholesale rate for registrars and in turn registrants. When you win or otherwise secure/pay a tbr domain CIRA would then push it to the registrar of your choosing.

Registrars - some anyways - will hate that idea but if CIRA is serious about making things as open and easy for registrants than that would be the way to go. :uhoh:

Not going to happen, which is a VERY GOOD thing.

Would be a complete conflict of interest.

CIRA has Z-E-R-O interest in reducing wholesale costs.

Anyone who has taken an Organizational Behaviour course can see Byron and gang as a perfect case study.

As for those dreaming that Zak would have been a miracle-worker in actually reducing wholesale costs, you should take the time to read his thoughts on CIRA's social development (as opposed to what WAS CIRA's real mandate)
http://www.domainnamenews.com/cctlds/ca-registry-cira-public-interest/8022
Partial quote:
Mr. Holland correctly points out that in order to fulfill Canada’s mandate to CIRA to engage in social development, CIRA must raise funds from economic development opportunities, including managing CIRA with “reliance on market forces and private sector leadership”, as required in the Binder letter. CIRA cannot of course make any substantial headway into social development projects without adequate resources, and therefore the exploration of revenue generation opportunities is required and closely tied to CIRA’s mandate of social development.

What's more glorious, managing a database, or being a technological philanthropist (with our money)?

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if the highest bidder didnt win wouldn't they go to the next highest bidder (they should erase all bids by the non payer) or at a least be offered to the other bidders?

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

No no, I don't think you guys read what was quoted above - the registrar had people pay for the domains but the transfers weren't done correctly (at Pool within 14 days) so now CIRA has the authority to reclaim them and put them out for TBR again (to any registrar)...

so it wasn't a matter of non payment it was a screw up on pools end?

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, exactly - or at least that's what I got out of it?

if the highest bidder didnt win wouldn't they go to the next highest bidder (they should erase all bids by the non payer) or at a least be offered to the other bidders?

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

so it wasn't a matter of non payment it was a screw up on pools end?

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks like a little bit of justice was served up today.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
looks like Siber got y2.ca so I would assume it is going to be in auction

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TheDomainNameStore.ca Inc.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
yep.. is that partnered with pool though?

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
interesting... i find it strange that pool is struggling to get .ca's now

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All part of the Momentus Group correct?

mikeyboy

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
pool just charged me for a name that was caught by siber and is in my siber account

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And y2.ca sells again, this time for $650.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
pool just charged me for a name that was caught by siber and is in my siber account

Don't be petty! Let pool get its share of the love.:lol:

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom