Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld y2.ca back to TBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks like someone didn't want to pay for their domains - :eek:mg_smile:

y2.ca - $435
fail.ca - $2550

These are both back on the TBR list for Dec 22nd, along with ysi.ca, wrist.ca and others...

Makes me wonder????

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fail.ca such a fail!!! LOL..

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, along with a domain that I picked up from pool.com...AND PAID FOR!

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nope, not fail.ca, it was actually zaw.ca.

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Registrants fault or Registrars fault?

per sibername
"There is a time limit of 15 days before we have to transfer the domains to the new
registrants, otherwise the domains are returned to the TBR list under the new
policy; 15 Days started on December 1st, and our Deadline is December 15, 2010."

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nope, not fail.ca, it was actually zaw.ca.

Oh ok.. I am sure you can get that back again..but the 15 day rule is now being imposed by CIRA and I believe is another way to support/protect the Big Registrars who pick up domains on TBR, allowing them to put them up on the auction block, making people bid crazy, and then if the bidder fails to to pay up, or if they have not realized their fat profit, could dump the domain again within 15 days.. don't have to wait for 395 days, like before and start the party all over again!! What a joke!!!

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey DOTCA, Pool.com contacted me after I posted my previous comment. Their was a glitch in their stuffing algorithm and some domains were not moved within the 15 day limit. They are going to try and reacquire the domain (next week Wednesday I presume), otherwise I'll get a refund.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey DOTCA, Pool.com contacted me after I posted my previous comment. Their was a glitch in their stuffing algorithm and some domains were not moved within the 15 day limit. They are going to try and reacquire the domain (next week Wednesday I presume), otherwise I'll get a refund.

Good for you.. I wish, you get that back. Good to know people are tacking action promptly these days.. A good move and in the right direction...

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
but the 15 day rule is now being imposed by CIRA and I believe is another way to support/protect the Big Registrars who pick up domains on TBR, allowing them to put them up on the auction block, making people bid crazy, and then if the bidder fails to to pay up, or if they have not realized their fat profit, could dump the domain again within 15 days.. don't have to wait for 395 days, like before and start the party all over again!! What a joke!!!

Did you not know that TBR stands for "To Benefit Registrars"?

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When a registrar acquires a domain on TBR, do they get the full amount paid, or does a percentage go to CIRA?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
CIRA should run the TBR and subsequent auctions. All money raised should go to reducing the wholesale rate for registrars and in turn registrants. When you win or otherwise secure/pay a tbr domain CIRA would then push it to the registrar of your choosing.

Registrars - some anyways - will hate that idea but if CIRA is serious about making things as open and easy for registrants than that would be the way to go. :uhoh:

pandersen

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh ok.. I am sure you can get that back again..but the 15 day rule is now being imposed by CIRA and I believe is another way to support/protect the Big Registrars who pick up domains on TBR, allowing them to put them up on the auction block, making people bid crazy, and then if the bidder fails to to pay up, or if they have not realized their fat profit, could dump the domain again within 15 days.. don't have to wait for 395 days, like before and start the party all over again!! What a joke!!!

Guys. Please lets get information correct here.

If a domain name acquired via the TBR process is not assigned to a registrant within the holding period of 14 days CIRA automatically returns the domain to the next TBR cycle. I would also note that CIRA is very clear that the registrar *DOES NOT* get a refund for the registration fee. So it cannot be used for a registrar to acquire/throw back as you suggest. CIRA has never allowed cancellations with refunds for TBR domains.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CIRA should run the TBR and subsequent auctions. All money raised should go to reducing the wholesale rate for registrars and in turn registrants. When you win or otherwise secure/pay a tbr domain CIRA would then push it to the registrar of your choosing.

Registrars - some anyways - will hate that idea but if CIRA is serious about making things as open and easy for registrants than that would be the way to go. :uhoh:

Not a fan of gov't running things, but I really like this idea of the TBR being run from a central location and pushing the name to a RAR of our choice...

-Would make it easier for us as we would only have to backorder at one place
-Residency issues would hopefully be dealt with quickly prior to the push
-The names wouldn't be held in 3rd party shell RARs
-And, in a perfect world the gov't isn't out to screw us (I know, I know, I'm dreaming) so we would be safe in assuming the process and any resulting auction would be on the up and up.

The one knock I have on this is what CIRA would do with the profits...I shudder to think about the ways they would blow that money

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Paul, thanks for clarifications. I fail to understand one thing though, let's say nobody paid for y2.ca at the pool.com
auction, why this registrar didn't keep the domain name? Pool.com has a marketplace. It costs for the registrar only
a registration fee to get the name during the TBR process, and obviously this name is worth more than the registration
fee. Why they allowed the name to return to TBR again?

I might be wrong, but wouldn't be is simpler and and profitable to contact the bidder and let them know that due
to nonpayment their domain names sold to somebody else? It sounds fair to me.

Last edited:

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Provider, it could simply be an accident. As I mentioned earlier, Pool had some issues this time round and some domains were deleted because they went past the 15 day mark. Here is an email I recieved from Pool today:

Hello Jonathan,

As you may know, CIRA has instituted new rules with regards to the registration of TBR names. One of the new requirements is that TBR registrations must be placed in the winning registrant’s name within 14 days of the completion of the TBR. If not, the name is automatically deleted and returned to the next TBR by the registry. Note in this circumstance, registrars do not get credit for the original registration.

Pool has procedures in place to protect our customer’s acquisitions and normally they should provide adequate protection. However, for domains acquired in the Dec 1 TBR, we discovered a processing bug which has affected some of the domain(s) you ordered (my records show there were 1 in your account) that we successfully acquired (valued at 60USD). The bug resulted in a stuffing error which prevented the names being registered to the correct owner prior to the completion of the 14 day wait period.

As a result, a selection of your CA domains were deleted and are being returned to the registry to be released again in the TBR on Dec 22. We will be adjusting our acquisition engines to attempt to re-acquire any names that were deleted and ensure your original order is satisfied. In the event we are not successful, and you have paid for the domain already, we will issue a complete refund. If you had not completed payment for the domain(s) I would simply remind you that in future you may lose access to your successful backorders if they are not paid for and stuffed to your account by the required deadline.

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience as we correct this issue.

Richard Schreier
CEO, Pool.com

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't get that either... i hope pool is banning these non paying bidders.

pandersen

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Paul, thanks for clarifications. I fail to understand one thing though, let's say nobody paid for y2.ca at the pool.com
auction, why this registrar didn't keep the domain name? Pool.com has a marketplace. It costs for the registrar only
a registration fee to get the name during the TBR process, and obviously this name is worth more than the registration
fee. Why they allowed the name to return to TBR again?

I might be wrong, but wouldn't be is simpler and and profitable to contact the bidder and let them know that due
to nonpayment their domain names sold to somebody else? It sounds fair to me.

This is a new system for all registrars. If there were names dropped because of that rule I am sure it was an oversight or error on the registrar side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom