Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

You Never Stop Being A Domainer!!!!!!!!! ;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought I had 'retired' from domaining, that is until about an hour ago when I suddenly found out that at best I can be described as 'semi-retired'.

There I was just taking a few minutes browsing post titles and suddenly I became fully alert - did I read that right? Was that really the .com? Is that how you really spell it? A quick check and the answers were 'yes', 'yes', and 'yes'.

Now some of you may know that I studied archaeology (the best career in the world by the way - and one of the worst paid). But this time it was my love of biochemistry that had clicked in - I had spent 3 years doing a degree in it before going on to archaeology. Well this time it was the biochemistry that was shouting out to me. The domain for sale was 'DonorCell.com' - and it just happens that I know just a very little bit about donor cells, as quick as a flash I had posted 'SOLD'. It was all paid for and transferred into my account within minutes. Then, hang on, well if I have got 'DonorCell.com' what about 'CellDonor.com'? A quick check and OMG there it was - available. It isn't any more folks. ;)

I guess quite a few of you, well the vast majority of you, will think something along the lines of 'well they are hardly Hotel.com or Business.com' and I must admit that they are not. But when it comes to things like medicine they are pretty nifty domains. Names I know can be held and will in time sell, or who knows one day they will be developed (if I ever get time that is). But if nothing else it just goes to show that no matter what, that when you have for years looked at everything from the point of view of domains, then that part of your brain never truly closes down.

Sorry folks but you, like I, will always be a domainer. :eek:

Last edited:

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just been doing some reading up on the subject – WOW, how the world of biochemistry has changed in 20 years. Seriously though thought I would spend a couple of hours examining the possibilities for DonorCell.com and CellDonor.com.

Looks like the advances are tremendous with obtaining blood donor cells (stem cells), can now be retrieved from both the marrow and blood (after a prescribed treatment) and can be stored by freezing – much the same way placental blood can be frozen from the umbilical cord. I am going to have to go much deeper into this – only problem is I need someone who can tell me where I could buy some spare time from, please!

Seriously though, I think it has to be done right from the start, but with the number of illnesses presently ‘treatable’ and with many others likely to become treatable in the near future this looks like a shoe in. How I would monetize it is another matter that somehow I will have to work out, but heaven alone knows how.

Anyway, unfortunately it looks like these two domains will be just put in the drawer for the time being. It’s a shame but there is no point going at this half-heartedly. Great names for development but just need to get the time to develop them and then monetise them.

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a bit like an addiction, once you've been bitten that's it!

Ideas for names pop into my head all the time and I do a quick WHOIS lookup on them, usually to find they are registered!

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bill Roy- Why did you 'retire' from domaining? That mean you made quite a bit of money? lol.

Surprised celldonor.com wasn't taken- Should've been taken long ago with all the stem cell research talk in recent years esp. in the US.
-Congrats!

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@charles - Yes, when I see a van drive along the road I still notice the domain address and think 'What the ****, why are they using that 20 character domain???'

@NinJa - Thanks. :)

@domainoid - I 'retired' from domaining to do development, which takes up all my time now. I had tried using 2 different local developers, the first proved to be an idiot, the second (a local company) I had to take to court to get some of our money back from when they proved to be totally useless, promised work and of course never actually produced anything. Only choice left to me was to do it myself. So working on MySiteIs takes up all my time, which of course means no time for domaining, therefore retired from it. After what, about 6 or 7 years of domaining I had done OK, so allowed me to make the switch and now have a small staff to help out. Sorry to say though not even in the league under Adam or Rick, in fact compared with them I might just be considered a team bottle carrier of the bottom league! LOL

I must admit I didn't expect CellDonor.com to be available, it shouldn't have been, but for once I was reading the right thread at the right time and got DonorCell.com (literally within minutes of it being posted) and afterwards did the obligatory check on CellDonor.com only out of sheer habit. I think I did OK getting them. Now it is just a case of what to do with them. At the moment they will just sit there until such time as I can get around to developing them. I have though yesterday re-instigated my subscription to a few journals.

Though being a 'semi-retired domainer' I guess I will respond to any offers I receive for them, but in all honesty apart from the insultingly low offers (which we ALL get unfortunately) I do not expect any serious offers. These domains, and more importantly the subjects, are for the not too distant future.

Last edited:

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, after doing some reading up in the journals on the subject I have ended up registering another 15-20 domains in the general subject area (again amazed that some of them were not registered), also I have a list that I dare not count up of possible other domains for registration (all have been free when I have checked over the past couple of days).

What was that I was saying about being 'retired' - by the looks of it I was just taking a sojourn somewhere away from domaining. I have though loved reading the articles and papers, it brought back the excitement in the subject that I had when I was studying it. (What is also of interest are the leaps forward that should be made in all different branches of medicine.)

Am I back to domaining, I don't know, these are so tempting to develop and the possibilities for monetization are tremendous (I will be sending off another few emails this afternoon to see if I can drum up interest from various companies) that I think the project has nudged another few on the list for development out of the way. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators