Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Your auth. codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does everyone here have their authorization codes for all of their domain names?

I was going to request them all from my Registrars so I could record them in my database. I have asked one of my Registrars for just one auth. code and heard nothing back for a few days, I have put in a second request. I don't want that to happen if I need to do a transfer.

I don't like this being at the mercy of my Registrars. It scared me when one Registrar was able to do a Registrar transfer because they had the authorization code, and I never even saw it.

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i believe some auth codes may have time limits, depending on the registrar, as a security function

so gathering them up in a list and trying to use them at a later date, may not work for all.

best thing to do is make sure your whois info is correct for all contacts of the domain

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's not a bad idea having them all in advance. Saves you all the hassle when you really need to transfer them.

I would get in touch with CIRA directly if registrars are not providing the auth codes in a timely manner. They are supposed to provide them within 5 days at most. (most "good" registrars have them available online immediately)

There is no "time limit" on auth codes. They stay the same for the life of the domain unless a registrar explicitly changes them.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It scared me when one Registrar was able to do a Registrar transfer because they had the authorization code, and I never even saw it.

That sounds like webnames.ca and their identity theft antics.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
That part i don't understand.. how can it be for the life of the domain?

So, i can transfer names back to myself... what kind of system is this?

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I got an auth code in less than an hour from NamesPro...they are pretty quick

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Usually it is only for the duration of the domain record before updates, at which point an EPP code should change, but with CIRA this may be unclear.

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The auth code never changes by itself, period. Any "updates" will NOT cause it to change. It ONLY changes if and when a registrar specifically changes it.

CIRA has advised registrars that it is "good practice" to change the auth code when transfering a domain in, however this does NOT happen automatically, and I would guess that most registrars do NOT do this (yet).

In regards to your question, our system is set up to automatically change the auth code after the domain has been transferred to us (or between registrants), so NO, you could not just take the domain back. At some registrars this would be possible however... so to be on the safe side I would suggest if you are taking over a domain from someone, make sure the first thing you do is get your registrar to change the auth code.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does CIRA do nothing anymore except take the money and list the domain record?

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone oversee Cira ?

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe I was told Industry Canada oversees CIRA's operations, that was one of the reason's I was given when discussing opening the market with one of their management. Some references:

http://www.iana.org/reports/2000/ca-report-01dec00/industry-canada-letter-11mar99.html (2000)
The .CA domain space is a key public resource, helping to promote the development of electronic commerce in Canada and important to our country's future social and economic development. As a major user of the .CA domain, as a promoter of the Internet and in its overall policy responsibility for the Information Highway, the Government stated several basic principles for the management of the Internet domain name system in a paper issued in September 1998, entitled "Reform of the Domain Name System - Current Developments & Statement of Principles". We continue to encourage reliance on market forces and private sector leadership in the management of the .CA domain space. Industry Canada expects that the policies CIRA adopts and its operations will be consistent with the principles established by the Canadian government. To this end, we are confident that the CIRA Board will quickly put in place an effective structure predicated upon:

* conducting CIRA's activities in an open and transparent manner that ensures wide public access to all relevant information;
* following fair and sound business practices;
* ensuring an appropriate balance of representation, accountability and diversity on the Board of Directors for all categories of stakeholders;
* applying for domain names being as quick and easy as applying for domain names in other top level domains, and priced competitively;
* reducing conflicts between persons granted domain names and other Fights holders, including trade-marks or business names; and
* a system that facilitates and encourages entry for new players including registrars.

We have a continuing interest in the progress of CIRA. Industry Canada will provide advice and assistance to ensure that the goals pertaining to the administration of the .CA domain name registry are met.

Good article by Zak M that touches on the connection http://www.domainnamenews.com/cctlds/ca-registry-cira-public-interest/8022

Cheers,

Jay

rmbdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does everyone here have their authorization codes for all of their domain names?

Some registrars give the authorization code in the domain name manager area under your account.

Name.com has it immediately available when you click on your name and GoDaddy has an option to send it by email.

pandersen

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's not a bad idea having them all in advance. Saves you all the hassle when you really need to transfer them.

There is no "time limit" on auth codes. They stay the same for the life of the domain unless a registrar explicitly changes them.

Most registrars in gTLD space cycle their auth codes very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators