Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Your Method Of Negotiating With End Users?

CdnBigD

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
After your researach and outreach, hoping to find an interested end user for your domain name...someone replies! Congrats, you have a bite! Now what?

If 2 or 3 get back to you right away saying they are all "very interested", what do you reply to them with?

I've had this on my recent domain name I am trying to sell to end users. 2 people asked for the "final" price and one asked "how much".

Do you respond with any of these:
- ask them what their budget/range is?
- respond with a final price (the lowest you want to let it go for)?
- respond with a higher price (knowing they will counter), BUT hope it doesn't scare them away?
- since you got a 30% response rate after only 1hr of outreach, figure you will ditch em and spend more time hunting for the bigger buyer? lol

Thanks guys.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

since you, are the solicitor (spammer), then it's your responsibility to give them a price you want for the domain.

if you are scared they will walk away, then you shouldn't be playing this game.

also, please read similar threads relating to this subject by using forum's search feature.

enter 'selling to end users'

Good Luck!

CdnBigD

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not "scared" they will walk away, Biggie. Being that there's a few of them, one is bound to accept or counter.

I was more curious what each of your tactics are in situations like these?

I'll be sure to use the search feature now.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not "scared" they will walk away, Biggie. Being that there's a few of them, one is bound to accept or counter.

despite what you may have read or watched, many domainers do not send emails to lists of potential end-users.

so, that in itself, is a different tactic.

some of us, wait, for offers to come in .... which gives us the leverage in negotiating, should we decide to sell.

that is another tactic, "having to sell versus not".

imo.....

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

despite what you may have read or watched, many domainers do not send emails to lists of potential end-users.

so, that in itself, is a different tactic.

some of us, wait, for offers to come in .... which gives us the leverage in negotiating, should we decide to sell.

that is another tactic, "having to sell versus not".

imo.....

CdnBigD

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And many domains (newbies and veterans) do manually research and hunt down potential end-users.

In my first post here, I guess I should have said "pretend you are one of the domainers who has found some potential end users"... you have some bites, now what would your tactic be after you get those mentioned bites. ;-)

Thanks for the reply

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you don't buy the horse, before you have somewhere to put it

so, if I was pretending, I'd have my tactics, strategies, etc., down-pat.... before sending emails.

like, if they say this or that, then i'll reply with this or that, period.

if they walk, then we move to the next, if the bite, then reel em in.

it ain't rocket science nor is a 14 part article needed, on how to sell a domain.

act like you've done it before, even if you haven't.

pretend, if you have to.

:)

imo....

CdnBigD

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Biggie.

I've only ever had end users and fellow domainers find me. As you have said, this is a "different tactic" for me.
I'm not wanting to pay renewal fees on some of my lesser quality domains so i thought I'd actually try to reach out to find some potential end users for these ones.

I'll use all of your great advice and hopefully it will help in my pretending.

visit

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I personally hate it when I see somewhere a name and there is "Make Your offer". It's like this "Gucci Gucci boutiques" :confused:where the merchandise is extremely expensive and the product is then sold too overpriced. I want to see prices and then maybe try to negotiate. This is my view as a end user. And when i write to clients personally, I sell much better than waiting on customers. I make it so that I publish prices on my homepage and for the "more expensive names the customer can offering his own price. This works well.

CdnBigD

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's great. Thanks for giving me your own personal opinion on not liking the whole "what's your budget / make your offer" reply. Really good to know and what I was looking for. :)

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They will never tell you the budget.
A couple of months ago an "end-user" send me an email from gmail and offer $1,000 to one of my name.
Doing some research (even he used Gmail) I found out the he is an Executive from a Pharmaceutical Company.
The name is TM but the creation date of the name is 2004 while the TM is registered in 2012.
He said either take $1,000 or he will sue me. I said go ahead and sue me as they have no leg to stand.
I counter offer $25K and we closed the deal a week later. I bought the name from this forum for $25.

You have to know who they are - stick to your gun and don't be afraid to lose a sale. When they need it, they need it.

CdnBigD

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They will never tell you the budget.
A couple of months ago an "end-user" send me an email from gmail and offer $1,000 to one of my name.
Doing some research (even he used Gmail) I found out the he is an Executive from a Pharmaceutical Company.
The name is TM but the creation date of the name is 2004 while the TM is registered in 2012.
He said either take $1,000 or he will sue me. I said go ahead and sue me as they have no leg to stand.
I counter offer $25K and we closed the deal a week later. I bought the name from this forum for $25.

You have to know who they are - stick to your gun and don't be afraid to lose a sale. When they need it, they need it.

lol Hilarious! I wonder if you could have sued them since you had the name long before they ever thought of it probably.

I've done a bit more research into one of my 3 interested people. Successful "Gaming" (online poker and such) company, based in Malta with a mailing address of this one "penthouse suite". Hmm.. maybe I'll ask a bit more than reg fee price.

visit

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Exactly, supply and demand. I am selling my names for the price I want, + / -, and walk my way. In the supermarket are no two prices, "one for poor ' and 'one for the rich" for the same product. of course i make my research to before i close the deal.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom