Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

YouTube closes on MobileTV deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
YouTube closes on MobileTV deal

YouTube will soon be available on mobile phones and television screens after the video-sharing company owned by Google, the internet search and advertising giant, began talks with Verizon, the US telecoms company, that are expected to lead to a joint MobileTV venture.
The two companies have been in talks for the past month about adding YouTube to the V-cast mobile television service offered by Verizon Wireless, the joint venture between Verizon and Vodafone. It is also expected that Verizon will offer services provided by YouTube on its MobileTV business, which will be growing across America.

Sources close to Verizon told The Times last night that talks between the phone company and YouTube were unlikely to be completed for at least two weeks.

The impending deal marks a significant development in YouTube’s rapid rise to popularity among its millions of users and prowess in the e-commerce field. Transporting the service from the computer screen to the television and the mobile phone will boost the advertising revenue that Google will be able to reap from the company.

The Verizon deal is expected to serve as a springboard for YouTube, which has sounded out several US mobile phone operators about a MobileTV venture. The video-sharing company has held exploratory talks with Vodafone about a similar deal in the UK. Those discussions were described by an insider as very preliminary.

American mobile phone services are several steps behind those available in Britain. However, YouTube is very popular in the US, with more than 27.6 million people visiting the sight last month. The service was voted “invention of the year” by Time magazine, beating a cancer treatment and other life-saving products.

The web service, which features an abundance of teenagers miming to pop songs in their bedrooms, was bought by Google last month for $1.65 billion (£870 million).

Neither Verizon nor YouTube would comment about the talks.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess google didn't spend that much money and not use it to it's full potential.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. I have yet to use a phone that can stream video well, however... Maybe Google should work on that next. :)

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. I have yet to use a phone that can stream video well, however... Maybe Google should work on that next. :)

It's great. I've been using the phone to stream cnn as I walk 30 minutes home from the center of town. It's very cheap here in the UK at around $10 a month for a whole bunch of channels. The only problem is not looking where you are going whilst walking. Take care! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators