Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

#1 Important Lesson to be learned from the 'Patty' fiasco...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DO NOT SEND OR ACCEPT ANY PAYPAL TRANSACTION WHICH DOES NOT STATE THE ITEM PURCHASED IN THE TITLE.

This was the giant 'nail' in Patty's coffin -- she accepted a Payment clearly marked in all receipts and in PayPal's transaction system that it was payment for the 2 domains in question, which she had previously denied selling.

Had the buyer done what a lot of people are doing, leaving the title as 'You've got money', then a scammer (like Patty) is free to make up any story she could spin about the transaction.

I've been requiring this for my transactions for a couple of years, mainly because it makes accounting and transaction resolution easier, and one person even called me 'anal' because I refused his anonymous payment... but recent events remind me I need to stick to this policy 100% of the time.

BTW, I also refuse to do business on the phone or IM for the same reasons... I never have to deal with a 'Patty' trying to say there was a 'misunderstanding'. I always have the email, date/time stamp and headers intact.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Also in the future some DNA testing to prove they are male or female might be needed :D

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It's funny how FemaleDomainers.com is taken but Male isn't.

I don't care about the gender issues, but that photo of her with the goatee seems to show cochroaches on the ceiling... THAT bothered me much more!!

Maybe she used roaches to keep track of how many cold calls she made :D

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DO NOT SEND OR ACCEPT ANY PAYPAL TRANSACTION WHICH DOES NOT STATE THE ITEM PURCHASED IN THE TITLE.

I've never thought of that and I've done quite a few transactions though Paypal - great suggestion.

As for the gender issue - you think people would have learned after the TiffanyR fiasco?

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's funny how FemaleDomainers.com is taken but Male isn't.

rare things are valued more than whats available in lots..:lol:

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I not only do it as a buyer, but I always try to get people who buy from me to do it. A lot of scamming goes on because payments are unlabeled ergo either side could try and indicate the other side is scamming.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...cochroaches on the ceiling... THAT bothered me much more!!
That is so gross sounding that I have no desire to go back and see which photo you see that in.

I saw the make-up applied goatee which was enough for me to quit looking...

gafadi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i had several nightmares last night , i am very scared to head to bed tonight ? what should i do guys , after seeing that pictures i am very scared

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i had several nightmares last night , i am very scared to head to bed tonight ? what should i do guys

You should probably grow up and get back to work. :asleep:

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this probably could have been an enlightning thread, and i'm sure that was the intention.

however....

with all the jokes, i see no reason to keep it open

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You guys should know better than to have humor on DNF! Shame on you.

The #1 lesson is that you are here to do business first.

Agreed. Anyone can be anyone online. For instance, I am not really Gizmo.
(disclaimer: said 'agreed' in a non-humorous and dry, boring way.)

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe the thread can be cleaned up and made useful.

Patty's antics certainly inspire humor, but there is a lot to be learned there. Patty is on a multi-year (perhaps multi-decade) crime spree, and isn't terribly good at it. She preys on people to don't do background searches, and people who don't clearly label transactions (so that she can later spin stories about the purpose of the transaction). When truth starts to come out that she's running a scam, she uses that open door to claim 'mistakes' and 'misunderstandings' and so on.

She worked hard at social engineering and identity theft, and used those to throw up a cloud of confusion and 'references' when questioned.

As far as anyone can tell, she never successfully brokered a single domain sale, or wrote a line of code. Yet people were paying up front for her brokering services, and vouching for how cool her 'software' was.

Bido even has her as a featured speaker, which gave her even more 'credibility' (for those who find Bido credible in the first place).

She could have gotten away with far more, the fact she stuck around to 'watch the train wreck' suggests that for her, this was more about the thrill and attention than anything else. Someone in it for the money doesn't stick around and even throw us more clues, which she clearly was doing.

While Acro's detective work was outstanding, we all got lucky because 1) She used her real last name and 2) It is a fairly unique name.

Another psycho WILL come along, so it pays to know the signs.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Another psycho WILL come along, so it pays to know the signs.

Actually, don't bet on Patty giving up on her spree of crime; she will continue as long as she can get away with it from a legal standpoint. For someone who claimed that they were a lawyer, an architect, a post-graduate, a sorority member, a software developer etc. she has no reason to stop.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In many cases you can get a feeling for someone online by just "reading between the lines" of what they say. Not saying it would have been easy at first, but Patty did come on strong when she first appeared here and seemed a bit too green to be talking about brokering and software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators