Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

100 people in the world own 2 million domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
didn't you own dollar.com or something?

jelly

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:clown: hehe

i was just making the point that even with a great domain and a great idea, you still have to be timely...some people felt the concept of dollars.com was ahead of its time.

Rick Latona

Workaholic
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jelly said:
:clown: hehe

i was just making the point that even with a great domain and a great idea, you still have to be timely...some people felt the concept of dollars.com was ahead of its time.

I still use the software. :) I'll take your comment in a positive tone.

jelly

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rick Latona said:
I'll take your comment in a positive tone.

i meant it in a positive tone :) i thought it was a good idea

FormerDnForumer

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
If you really believe whatismyip dot com sold for $360k then you must also believe in the Easter Bunny.

Theo, do you have any idea how enormous the traffic is on this? It's a simple turnkey site that collects money.

This was absolutely the price paid. Trust me. :cheeky:

Rick Latona said:
You guys are silly. Great websites don't need great domains but great domains never hurt and at times ad value. ConsumptionJunction.com is one of the worst domains in the world, look at my stats. There are literally hundreds of ways to misspell the name.

Great domains don't gaurantee a website's success any more than a great website with no reach and audience. They are almost too different businesses.

Domains will never out sell websites and businesses. Don't get me wrong, I'm a believer. I'm here. But they really have less to do with each other than you may think.

Great companies are bought and bad companies are sold. Lesson? Brands are worth a ton. A website is a brand and product. A domain is a potential brand and product.

I love domains as much as all of you but to think they can compare with great developed sites is incorrect, IMHO.

This is so well said it should be posted on the foreheard of every geek in this business who has no clue about branding and business. Owning a good domain name doesn't mean a damned thing when you want to start a "business" with "content".

Look at men.com. I like Kevin, but it's the horrible result of someone who thinks a domain name makes a brand, and then doesn't have the foresight to actually hire a simple design firm to make it credible.

Sadly, not the only example, and as this new virus of "developed domains" takes hold, it won't be the last.

CashCowDomains

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow according to that article i made the cut. what a feeling to be among the worlds top 100 domainers! cool!

roy

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I take your word, Cameron - but frankly (and call me the doubting Thomas, if you must) I don't understand what exactly users get by further clicking on those Google ads. I mean, once they're done finding their IP, what's more that those ads offer?

I think you're wasting more money than making, if indeed the traffic is in the 6-figure region.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how can you possible manage that many domains....

not to mention reg. costs...

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Developed sites generate an awful lot of repeat traffic, and the ultra-sticky sites tons of DAILY repeat traffic.

The more you trust a site, the more you will buy from them the things they sell, whether directly, or as an intermediary.

Curious type-in traffic because .COM is the so-called default extension of choice is a grossly overrated, old school, the Internet when-it-was-young, notion.

Many developers have taken non-descript domain names and made them powerhouses of traffic with a nickel-and-dime. Some stumble on a cheap good idea, like milliondollarhomepage.com, and as a result get a 100,000 visits per DAY.

Traffic is important, but it depends on what kind of traffic you are talking about. Before pop-up blockers became the default for browsers, many people artificially inflated traffic to any one name one thousand times through the use of never-ending popups.

Today, you have legions of sweatshop workers generating millions of human clicks every single day.

Again, huge proxy networks with sophisticated scripting simulate page views by the billions at the switch of a finger.

My point is simple, TRAFFIC as domainers like to see it, is baloney and a scam at its finest.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
My point is simple, TRAFFIC as domainers like to see it, is baloney and a scam at its finest.

Wow! what angst! :cheeky:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gregr said:
This is just a thread to make some people think they are special.

Absolutely, why to you think the disposed dictator is here? :cheeky:

DNAholic

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That sure took long to read, but was one of the best I have read here since joining. More threads like this please, very informative indeed. :)

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMHO the most interesting part of the thread is this quote from the link in the first post:

"Some domain speculators are using the five-day grace period for new domains to "test-drive" a name's potential for pay-per-click revenue. VeriSign CEO Stratton Sclavos reports that each week up to 250K domain names are registered and then deleted within the five-day grace period by domain monetizers. Some registrars have discussed implementing a 25-cent deletion fee to discourage this practice."

Well why aren't I doing that?

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JOEMART said:
IMHO the most interesting part of the thread is this quote from the link in the first post:

"Some domain speculators are using the five-day grace period for new domains to "test-drive" a name's potential for pay-per-click revenue. VeriSign CEO Stratton Sclavos reports that each week up to 250K domain names are registered and then deleted within the five-day grace period by domain monetizers. Some registrars have discussed implementing a 25-cent deletion fee to discourage this practice."

Well why aren't I doing that?

the keyword there is "some".

Most registrars will not give refunds, even if it's within the five-day grace period. Those that do usually only allow one or two to be deleted occasionally, and the process is not typically automated.

To do this on any scale you really need your own registrar, which rules out all but the biggest players.

- Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators